Went over calories

Options
Lately I've been trying to count calories again ( I stopped for a long time for the sake of my mental health) but I've been counting again just so I can watch my weight. Tonight I ate 600 calories over my allowance calories which is 1900 ( 1900 is how much I need to maintain)

I'm feeling guilty and angry with myself..I am going to work out but I know unless I work out for 2 hours I wont burn off the excess calories so should I eat less tomorrow to make up for tonight? I just don't want to gain weight :/

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you have a therapist? The guilt and anger is out of proportion. One day over calories won't put you over.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Did you do any sort of physical activity? Like work up a sweat, walked a distance perhaps? The mfp calories is just something that's there to aim for and if you work out and burn calories, your just eating what you worked off back which isn't bad at all (healthy imo)

Don't beat yourself up about it because you will have plenty more days like that but just start new the next day and make better choices.

to answer your question, no you shouldn't eat less because of one bad day.
  • whisperfitandhappy
    whisperfitandhappy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do. I'm on medication. I've had an ED in the past.
    But my main question is one day wont make me gain weight?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just make up for it by eating a little less during the week.
    I watch my weekly deficit, more than my daily one.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    600 calories is not going to make you gain unless you eat 600 over maintenance every day for the next 6 days.. You can work out for a bit tonight and a bit tomorrow or you can forgive your self and get back to maintenance tomorrow... I too have a lot of guilt when I do something like this, but it is already done and you know what to do from this point on!

Trust me, I understand how you are feeling! I actually did that today and instead of eating the calories I allotted for dinner tonight, I gave my sandwich to my dogs (for real)
  • whisperfitandhappy
    whisperfitandhappy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    600 calories is not going to make you gain unless you eat 600 over maintenance every day for the next 6 days.. You can work out for a bit tonight and a bit tomorrow or you can forgive your self and get back to maintenance tomorrow... I too have a lot of guilt when I do something like this, but it is already done and you know what to do from this point on!

Trust me, I understand how you are feeling! I actually did that today and instead of eating the calories I allotted for dinner tonight, I gave my sandwich to my dogs (for real)

Thank you for being so understanding! (: I like when people on here support me, and not lecture me.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It happens. I know from experience...guilt and anger are of NO value in making a lifestyle change. Try to think of WHY you overate. Were you upset? Stressed? Tired? For me I overeat in the afternoon when my lunch wasn't fulfilling. FIgure out WHY and then make a plan for next time. (for example I know that if my lunch is fish, I need to plan for a larger 3pm snack because I will be hungry again sooner than if I ate chicken)

We all go over. I've gone over by literally thousands before. It's not the end of the world, tomorrow is a new day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being so understanding! (: I like when people on here support me, and not lecture me.
    [/quote]

Guilt is a natural emotion and regardless of where "guilt" place is, we all have it and it's natural impulse to how you are feeling!

You will always get support from me, we are all human! Guilt, anger and sadness is natural and it is good that you feel this from time to time. If we did not feel this how would we ever learn about ourselves!

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Just make up for it by eating a little less during the week.
    I watch my weekly deficit, more than my daily one.

This. You didn't gain the weight in one day and you won't lose it in one day either. Forgive yourself and try again tomorrow. :smile:

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP ... you have a history of going over one day, asking the same question, and getting the same answer each time.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Maybe do something like eat 100 cals less over the next 6 days? It'll make up for it without being hard to stick to or dangerously low in calories. 600 cals isn't as much as it seems, it won't make an impact unless you overeat that much everyday.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do. I'm on medication. I've had an ED in the past.
    But my main question is one day wont make me gain weight?

The only way you can gain weight in one day is if you eat 3,500 calories over your maintenance for the day. Eat a little bit under for a few days or do a little extra cardio and you will be fine.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

The only way you can gain weight in one day is if you eat 3,500 calories over your maintenance for the day.

Yer funny.

And dead wrong.

Every calorie in excess contributes to weight gain. If she went 600 over, all else being equsl, she's gained just under 0.2 pounds

That's kinda how it works.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

The only way you can gain weight in one day is if you eat 3,500 calories over your maintenance for the day.

Yer funny.

And dead wrong.

Every calorie in excess contributes to weight gain. If she went 600 over, all else being equsl, she's gained just under 0.2 pounds

That's kinda how it works.

I meant gain weight of any consequence, not all scales show fractions of a pound. I was trying to say that the slightly over 1/7th of a pound she would have gained would not even show up on the scale even if she did nothing to get back on track for the week. I suppose if she ate over one day a week she would see an extra pound on the scale after two months. For someone with a history of disordered eating it's better to downplay tiny gains like that than to encourage people to obsess over them. I only meant to imply that going slightly over for the day is easily fixable and something she is going to be able to handle when it happens.
  • ali2407
    ali2407 Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On New Years Eve i pushed the boat out and had a Domino's pizza and a Thornton's Chocolate Santa - alongside everything else I'd had during the day. In total I had just over 4.5k calories in one day instead of my 1380 I'm allowed. But who cares ! I hadnt had a takeaway since October !!

Over the week i was under my calories as i exercised and watched my intake and i was under my weekly goal.

Also remember that your set calories will be less than the 'average amount' for a female, so anything under the normal 2000 ish isn't over anyway !
    One day of indulgence doesn't do any harm - as long as it's not everyday !