Confused

Options
i have been working out for 3days and eating below my recommend calories and I'm gaining weight

Replies

• shelleyallsopp
    Options
    Oh, I have been there!! It is frustrating isnt it... From experience, the only thing I can suggest it to keep going.
    I have had people say to me "you're not eating enough for the exercise you do". I couldn't then, and still can't, see how this is possible!! BUT, in did up my calories to the max and the weight started to come off.
    I am discovering that its a fine line between calories in and calories out! I now limit my exercise to 3 times a week for about an hour or so each time (somethimes longer, sometimes shorter, depends on my mood) and stick to my calorie intake of abot 1500 a day. I steadily lose weight.
    Keep going.... you can do this.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    From what i have read on here and advice given by folk who seem to be in the know, its quite normal, as when you start exercising your muscles retain water to help them repair, so make sure you are drinking plenty of water and remember to have a rest day, you will probably find you drop a couple of pounds after your rest day hun. Stick with it, and make sure you are getting enough protein and calories. Remember its a long haul journey and not a race. Good luck but you will def lose weight if you are eating at a cal deficit even if you dont exercise. Take measurements rather than relying on the scales only, for 3 weeks my scales didnt move, but my thighs tummy and arms all got smaller :) x
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Don't be too frustrated..I haven't lost in about a week. I've weighed, measured and logged all of my food and have eaten at a calorie deficit. I've also worked out several times..no change!
    A few things- is it around that time of the month? Could be water weight
    - Have you accurately tracked your calories? A food scale really helps!
    - could also be your muscles retaining water

I suggest taking body measurements for when the scale doesn't slide. Keep at it, you will lose just takes time!
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    3 days? it's not like a credit card where you get the shiny new thing now and pay for it later. It's more like cash where you have to save up first before you get the shiny new thing- you have to invest in your body with good food and exercise now, and you get the results you want later.

Give it time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    3 days! Give it 3 weeks.
    (Actually for a woman give it a month.)
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Keep going. You need to think in terms of weeks and months rather than days; your weight can fluctuate 3-4lbs or more day to day with water weight alone. If your water was low the first time you weighed yourself but high the next time then you will appear to have gained weight even if you are losing fat. For that reason it's better to take an average weight movement over several weeks in order to see whether something is working or not.

If you are still gaining/not losing after 2-3 weeks then think about adjusting something, try that for 2-3 weeks, then review, repeat until you find something that works.

It is also quite normal for beginners to put on muscle mass quite easily, muscle is denser than fat so its possible to look smaller but still weigh the same if you are building muscle. Taking progress pictures or measurements can help you see if this is happening.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    3 days? ...Keep going. Check again in a week, or better, two weeks.

Also... Why are you eating below your recommended calories??
  • BonafideBadGurl
    Options
    Patience is key. Don't give up.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you deserve a lifetime of effort, not just a couple days :flowerforyou:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates by up to 5 pounds up or down on any given day, even when you're doing everything right. That's why it's so often recommended to only weigh yourself once a week: the fluctuations tend to mess with our heads!

As much as I used to hate this cliche, this really is a marathon and not a sprint. Give your body some time to adjust and see what happens.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    In three days your muscles have swelled from your workouts. This is okay.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ive been working out and logging and gained. don't get discouraged. As long as u keep it up, it will happen. its called progress for a reason.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Keep up the work!!! Its not instant, just like over-eating for 3 days isn't an instant gain. your muscles are repairing after a workout and they hold water in order to do so.

Take pictures of yourself. Measure. and you can watch the scale but it Will go up and down at times, wait for the Trend down.