Eating breakfast before or after workout?

Options
valissa
valissa Posts: 15
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
To lose weight is it best to eat breakfast for energy before workout or wait till after workout for my recovery protein smoothie?

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I read a good article on this the other day which I will try to find the link too. I think it concluded that it made no difference whether you ate before or after. I shall try to find it now for you.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficiency is needed to lose weight. Meal timing is up to you. Try it both ways to see which way works best for you.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Here is the link : http://www.builtlean.com/2012/05/29/cardio-empty-stomach/

Its a safe website so no problems accessing it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter. Try both ways and see what works best for you.

For me, if I work out first thing in the AM, I have to eat something light, like a banana, (if I'm going to lifting) or do it fasted (if I'm just running). If I try to eat breakfast before working out, I can't workout as well as I would like because my tummy is too full.
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, Valissa, personally I always train fasted in the mornings. I find that way i have no excuses for not getting me a*se in gear and to the gym.

Regardless of whether the morning sessions is weights, intervals or cardio it’s always fasted. True i don’t always feel full of boundless energy at 0600 in the morning, but who does.

As DeeTee68 mentioned there is so much research and counter research out there that you could disappear in the number of articles on subjects such as this. Do you burn more fat in a fasted state, do you need to be at the optimum carb and protein level to lift weights, so on so on.
    Ultimately i suppose it’s really a matter of preference, either way just get in there smash it up and get out
  • valissa
    valissa Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Ii usually workout at night, trying to change it up and get into morning workout routine. :)