Hi my name is Angi ..... and I'm a food-aholic

Options
Well here we go Day 1.... ( for like the 100th time) .... After years of denial, binge eating and major couch surfing, here I am. 32 and mother of a 12 year old and I still say I can't loose the baby fat!!!

Being 5'2" and 200lbs is not sexy to me at all. Over the last few years I have become a little more active but honestly I fail every time when I diet. Why? I hate fruits and vegetables and I am allergic to fish!! Talk about a bad combo for diets. Every time I tried to follow someone else's diet, it wouldn't take long before I would fall face first into fast food heaven..... I LOVE FRENCH FRIES!!! unfortunately it has been a poisonous love on my side.

Enough is enough!!! I divorced my fast food and am on my way to recovery. Since there are no "yes I am a food addict patches" I had to come up with a healthy plan for me.

The hardest thing for me was to admit to myself that I was killing myself, and that I was addicted to food...can you believe it ???!!!! addicted to food!! I have never counted calories, or portion control because honestly at about 5pm I am always STARVING, mentally that is. I started to realize that the amount of food I was eating was enormous. Example... 10 piece chicken nugget meal large with a coke plus a double cheeseburger and when that was gone I would raid the house for some sweets and even finish off whatever my boyfriend didn't finish. Well not only did I gain weight but I did a number on my stomach!! So now here I am with a belly the size of an 8 month pregnant woman and a very very bad self image. Denial sucks!!!

This past month I have been playing around with different food and exercise. I bought the slim in 6 program. Now I must tell you that I only use the workouts.... there is no way I can follow her diet as it is set up for me to fail, again I hate all the food that is healthy lol. As for Debbie's DVD's. I love them!!! The work out kicks my butt, but I can do all the moves with out hurting myself or giving up because come on now... I can't do some of the moves these trainers want me to do now.... maybe in six months but give me a break already ;)

I started with the slim in 6 start it up (30 min) and her slim&6-pack (15 min all abs) for 2 weeks . Honestly I haven't dropped any pounds, and that is all my own fault .... again food is an issue at night, but I have already started to see definition in my muscles. Now I am up to her ramp it up DVD (50 min) plus her other shorter DVD's Now about the food....

For me I have been counting calories and ,yes, adding the few fruits and veggies that I DO like as small snacks during the day. Also I have found that the Progresso light soups are an awesome way for me to get a healthy meal in for myself. And I hate to say it but Slim Fast is also helping me control my food addiction (along with some will power).

Here is an example of my day

Morning/Break

1 packet of Hydroxy cut for energy (5 calories)

Work out .... Ramp it up 50min, and 15 min ab workout

1 slim fast shake (for breakfast) 190 cal.

Snack

Raw carrots with homemade ranch (skim milk) or slim fast snack bar (100 cal) or a fruit (calories vary of course)

Lunch

1 can of Progresso light soup.... 1 can is 2 servings (140-160calories depending on type of soup)

Snack

Raw carrots with homemade ranch (skim milk) or slim fast snack bar (100 cal) or a fruit (calories vary of course)

Dinner

1 slim fast shake (190 cal)

and WATER.... omg I used to hate it but now I love it

So that is it.... lets see what happens in a month or so =) Thanks for reading .... this was very hard to write and admit.... and even harder to read to myself outloud!!!

Replies

• fat_beyonce
    fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    awww!!:embarassed: you sound like me in my early days except i was 5 foot 8/9 and 217 pounds. a friend request will be coming your way. well done babe for making the choice to do something about your unhappiness. Dieting doesn't mean all you can eat is fruit and veg there are lots of healthy meals that you'll discover on your journey portion control is your bff.
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    Thanks .... I honestly never thought it would be such a battle till I took of my rose colored lenses :glasses:
  • Kritter8682
    Kritter8682 Posts: 29
    Options
    hey i admire you for being motivated. I am just under 5'4 and i started at 202lbs.. I'm now at about 172. Its a struggle for sure. I too am a food ADDICT. food makes me happy. the taste of food is my weakness. its not the chewing the swallowing or the satisfaction i feel after eating... it's the taste of food and the WHOLE process..... but if i can be honest... you aren't eating enough calories based on your layout of your day... 1200 calories is probably where you should be. You are not getting near that according to what you've listed. With that kind of diet, you're not teaching yourself how to eat healthily and maintain a weight loss nor are you likely to continue this (for the 100th time as you stated)... i absolutely wish you the best of luck, but without the calories you should be eating, you'll never make it through the workouts or the day!!

but the decision is yours and i wish you the best of luck!!
  • brookums71
    brookums71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Angie, I agree with Kritter. You are not eating enough and are setting yourself up for failure. Try a real protein shake, maybe even with peanut butter, verses slim fast. and, your snack should have more protein. Admitting, is the first step, so congrats, now invest in a dietician and get on a healthy diet. Good luck!
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome Angie!

It is absolutely awesome that you are true enough to yourself to know what will and will not work for you! In order for this to work & last, it must be a lifestyle CHANGE. Diets don't work because they are temporary.

A couple pieces of advice:

1) Do NOT deprive yourself of your FAVORITE foods. try cutting down & control portions. Maybe reward yourself with a respectable portion on Saturday or Sunday after a successful week or good choices.

2) Take "before"pictures. You need not share them with anyone unless you want to. But take a front & side view now... in like a bra and panties or shorts & tank. Then every couple weeks/moth, take pictures again. I have been on my weight loss mission since January 1st and have only lost 9 pounds of the total 25 that is my goal. However, I have lost a total of 3 inches. And when I look at pictures over the last couple months, there is a HUGE difference. Since you are working out, you will be burning fat & creating muscle so the "pounds" may not appear to drop as fast as you'd like them too. *Also, when you take your pictures... do your measurements as well: Neck, bust, waist, hips & thigh. Write them down.

3) Your exercise routine sounds awesome! Again, find something that works for you is KEY. (Zumba & Swimnastics for me, plus walking) keep it up! But bear in mind, a day will come that you, for whatever reason, don't get your workout in. That's okay... activity is the most important thing. If you couch surf, do it on your feet and jump up & down! ;)

4) Reach out here for support, encouragement, accomplishment compliments, etc. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

Best wishes Angie! And congratulations! You've taken the first step!
  • awittrock03
    Options
    My name is Amanda & I too am a food-aholic ! :-( I love food.. and now on to battle to gain control of myself and my bad, no HORRIBLE, eating habbits. We can do this !
  • Kritter8682
    Kritter8682 Posts: 29
    Options
    2) Take "before"pictures. You need not share them with anyone unless you want to. But take a front & side view now... in like a bra and panties or shorts & tank. Then every couple weeks/moth, take pictures again. I have been on my weight loss mission since January 1st and have only lost 9 pounds of the total 25 that is my goal. However, I have lost a total of 3 inches. And when I look at pictures over the last couple months, there is a HUGE difference. Since you are working out, you will be burning fat & creating muscle so the "pounds" may not appear to drop as fast as you'd like them too. *Also, when you take your pictures... do your measurements as well: Neck, bust, waist, hips & thigh. Write them down.

YES... i AGREE WITH THIS FOR SURE!!! take pictures!!!!! i took before after pictures and i am so glad i did... every morning i looked in the mirror and didn't see a difference. becuase you see yourself every day and you can't see what everyone else can... so when i needed reassurance that my time wasn't wasted and all the efforts were worth it I just looked at the before pictures and i was like WOAH. big difference. it helps!
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips.... they are all along the same lines I was thinking =) So at least I'm on the right track..... No one in my life seems to understand. Not to talk smack but damn skinny people who can just eat and eat and do nothing while i have been working my *kitten* off for years..... falling and getting back up again and again and........

WHEW!!! I feel better ... excuse my rant LOL

Love my new Buddies =)
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    Hey Angie,
    I am 5'2" too... and I am in love with good (too)....
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Great Write up Angi!
    I'm so glad you posted it out here as well - It really feels good to get the support after you put yourself out there doesn't it? We are here for ya - See - I'm waving at you now :P