lose 70 lbs, is it possible?

Options
moortje3
moortje3 Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi,
I am a 39 yr old mom and would love tot lose 70 pounds before i turn 40. Is this even possible? I have 13 months and started last week.
My current weight is 234 lbs and im 5' 8"
I would like tips and successtories!
Thanks. Sue.

Replies

• fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    can I friend you? we have about the same amount to lose, though you are much younger than me.
  • bingbing816
    Options
    It is possible, but that's a lot to lose so quickly. Most nutritionists recommend 1 lb a week.
  • moortje3
    Options
    Hi fatcitizen, ofcourse you can friend me. How do I do that? My computer keeps giving me an error when i click on your name.
    And bingbing816, yes, i probably need to make more realistic goals.... maybe smaller goals would be good to start with?
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I made some quick calculations, and 13 months is a full year (52 weeks) + 4 weeks, so 56 weeks. That would mean exactly 1,25lbs per week. I think it's doable, but difficult.

Smaller goals are definitely a good way to start.

Assuming you're interested in the mirror and clothes as well, not just the scale, take measurements. I've found in the past that I'm always losing something somewhere: if the scale doesn't move, something has left my hips or waist, and vice versa. The measuring tape also becomes a great motivational tool eventually. After you've lost a little, it's a great feeling when you set the tape in your starting measurement on your waist and just look at the gap between the tape and your stomach :)
  • Carolyn917
    Carolyn917 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am giving this app. one more try. I am 48 years old, I weigh 215#'s & I'm 5' 2.5" tall. I am 75 -80#'s overweight and I desperately need to lose weight for health reasons. I am trying to stick to a low carb, healthy choice, whole food life style plan. My goals are to lose 10#'s by Valentine's Day and 75#'s by January 1st, 2016. I hate to exercise but I plan on using Yoga, Pilates and dance to exercise. I need friends to keep me accountable and motivated. For some reason I can't add friends, keep getting error message so PLEASE ADD ME!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    70 lbs is a bit high a target for less than 1 year of loss. It took me 11 months to lose 58 lbs.
  • witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose more pound at first due to water weight. You first goal should be to change your diet and exercise more.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to the Success Stories or Maintenance sections and you will find evidence of plenty of folks who have done that and more. Your individual circumstances are always factors so it's hard to say what you can or can't do. I think it's up to you to make that determination, though. Some people choose to lose more than 1lb a week and some choose to lose less than that. Good luck and well come to MFP!!!
  • ssanford77
    ssanford77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I am 38 and have lost 71 lbs. I have lost 50 of that since May.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Definitely is possible, I lost 40lbs in 6 months. You can do it. Of course I found it again plus 20lbs, so need to lose 60. With the motivation, support, tracking, and moving, you will succeed! Good luck. Feel free to add. We are all in this together!
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    it is possible im 46 and lost over 60 lbs in less than a year (ive still got more to lose) I could have done more but for holidays and breaks so yes it can be done BUT its down to how much you have to lose in total and how committed you want to be to it
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes I lost 113lbs in 16 months. I am in better shape at 40 than I was at 20. Good Luck on your journey.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I lost about that in less time so yes it's doable. But it will be hard, you will get frustrated at times, and you have to work your butt off.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but that's a lot to lose so quickly. Most nutritionists recommend 1 lb a week.

Cite your source. "Most nutritionists" is somewhat obscure.
  • csfdan
    csfdan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Never posted here. YES, you can! I've lost about 62 pounds in just over 3 months. No pills, no starvation. Just exercise, calorie counting and accountability. I have another 50 I want to lose, and will. I've been going through a place called deanfast.com and it works!
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Its doable. I started in April of 2014 at 530 lbs. I have now lost 126 lbs.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is the norm.

"slow and steady weight-loss goals—usually ½ to 2 pounds per week (though weight loss may be faster at the start of a program)"

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/choosing.htm
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's doable - but is it a good goal? Weight that is lost quickly is likely to be regained quickly. I understand the appeal of magic numbers, but what is your end goal - better looks, better health? Both of these will be better served by a more reasonable plan.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Why does it need to be by the time you turn 40? What will happen if you turn 40 and you've only lost 35 pounds? Rather than focus on a particular day on the calendar, just focus on making progress towards your goal, however long it takes. It took me 2 1/2 years to lose 68 pounds. Sure, it would have been nice to lose it quicker, but maybe I needed it to be that long to change my habits and beliefs surrounding food.

As far as tips go - eat a reasonable deficit, find some exercise you enjoy, and don't get discouraged by setbacks. Take before pictures and measurements. And take a look in the Success Stories, you'll find lots of inspiration there.

This is a great post to read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had a goal of 40 by 40 and reached it in six months. That was three years ago and I've actually lose almost 20 more. I would set smaller goals or targets to help motivate you on your journey. Set milestones of 10 pound lost, 25 pounds, 50 pounds, etc. and give yourself rewards when you reach them. Maybe new clothes or a piece of workout equipment for example.