What is the best way to utilize 30 minutes per day at the gym?

Options
Due to my current work schedule, i can only get to the gym for about 30 minutes. I'm looking to shed lbs, but finding it extremely difficult with this limited amount of time. I'm also confused as to whether I should be doing cardio, weight lighting, or splitting the time each day between both.

Please help!

Replies

• Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I only had 30 minutes, I would focus strictly on weight lifting. I like cardio to give me some extra calories to eat, but I think weight lifting gives you a better body in the end, provided you are eating at a deficit until you reach your goal weight.
  • pjeskew65
    Options
    I split my workout in half, I do 30 mins cardio and 30 weights
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficiency. With a 30 minute limit for exercises, you should consider compound exercises like Stronglifts 5x5.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How many days can you make it to they gym per week? You can easily start with a full body strength program in 30 minutes (as you add weight, it will take longer, but your schedule may change by then too). The beginning programs are typically 3 days a week (such as stronglifts or starting strength), and because they are full body, they are the most efficient with time.

You could also spend another few days doing cardio if you like, but losing weight is mostly about eating less than you expend, so you don't have to do any cardio at all if you don't want to. Personally, I find I lose better when I add in some cardio each week (plus I like to eat, so yay for extra calories!).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    weight loss is mostly about diet, so gym time is/can be pretty much irrelevant.

But to your question, I wouldn't split the workout up, especially with such a short window of time. 30 minutes is plenty of time for a good HIIT workout OR a good lifting session, but not both.

I'd do 2-3 days of heavy, compound lifts as they will give you the greatest bang for your buck in terms of time spent in the gym, and I would do 1-2 days of HIIT (something like sprints, running stairs/bleachers, suicides, etc), depending on how often you go to the gym.
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

But to your question, I wouldn't split the workout up, especially with such a short window of time. 30 minutes is plenty of time for a good HIIT workout OR a good lifting session, but not both.

I agree with jacksonpt, he knows what he is on about. Obvioulsy HIIT is pretty nails and is very dependant on your current fitness level, so i would tread carefully.
    You could always combine weights and cardio into a full body weights circuit. My elder brother had amazing results with this type of programme at the age of 47.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have 30 mins 5 days a week, 3 days I would do full body strength routine & 2 days a higher intensity cardio workout of which there are a million options.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Assuming you have 30 mins 5 days a week, 3 days I would do full body strength routine & 2 days a higher intensity cardio workout of which there are a million options.

I agree, this seems an effective way to manage your time and build a well rounded fitness plan
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I agree. If you just want to lose weight all you need to is eat less.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I would probably alternate between HIIT and strength training.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There was a Freakeconomics podcast that talked to a bunch of scientists and trainer types and determined that the most efficient way to burn calories it through running (which should surprise no one), so if you want to get the most bang for your buck in the amount of time, that's what I'd focus on for cardio.

If I had 30 minutes a day, here's what I'd do: alternate.
    E.g., Monday, Wednesday, Saturday on cardio (with a longer session on Saturday if possible)
    Tuesday/Thursday with strength building
    Sunday rest, or something like yoga.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I would do just do a lifting program. Like Strong lifts, but as a 3x5 to cut down on time.
    Source: used to do SL3x5 during lunch.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Superset everything in order too get as much volume in as possible
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Circuit training with HIIT! The easiest way to do this is to switch from cardio to weights. I've done a set time on the treadmill (ie run for 5 minutes) then do weights for 5-10 minutes, then do the stairmaster for 5 minutes, etc. This makes working out fun and after 30 minutes, you'll be exhausted!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Sustained increase in heart rate for 30 minutes is a good thing. However you do it is mostly irrelevant. During summer and fall I'll run the trails, and in winter I'll do the treadmill or personal trainer.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    cardio 3 days a week and strength training 2