Hand swelling

Options
jhoney8
jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
This may be a weird question, but do anyone's hands swell when they exercise? I went for a "brisk" walk today and about half way through I noticed that my fingers felt like sausages. They were stiff and swollen and stayed that way for the rest of the walk. It was pretty warm out (the mid-high 80s) and I was swinging my arms as I moved. When I got home and cooled down a bit, plus had some water, they went back to normal, but it was just a really odd sensation. Could it be the weather/water retention. Am I crazy/alone in this happening?

Replies

• Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    Definitely not alone!! My hands do it every time without fail!! I don't wear my wedding ring because I can't get it off for at least a half hour afterwards.. not sure what causes it though..
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Something to do with circulation. I'm not sure my feet do it... I wonder.... Id like to c if others have similar issues
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about it. Swelling can be a sign of a lot of things - some serious, some not-so-serious. But its better to have your doctor involved and have an evaluation to make sure nothing is up.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    not alone.... my hands especially do it when it is warmer out. I try to squeeze my hands frequently to pump the blood when I am working out, but don't hold them tight constantly. sometimes it works.... sometimes it doesn't.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's dehydration. It happens to me pretty often and I haven't gone to the doctor in years :(
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Yep me too...
    If you make fists you are more likely - my Doctor told me to hold your hands out flat when you move and also hold them above your head every 5 minutes or so...
    That has helped IMMENSELY

NOTE: making fists when you exercise also makes your blood pressure go up (actually making fists in general does it lol)
  • bwyne03
    bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mine do that alot when I exercise, especially if it's hot out!!
  • SugaMetal
    SugaMetal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes! Was just talking to a friend about this earlier. My fingers were swollen while walking around the zoo today.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mine do if I don't get enough water!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Mine do! LOL! It looks like my ring is going to amputate my finger!
  • jhoney8
    jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info, thanks!
    It looks like this is pretty common. It was hot, I probably should have brought water and my hands were not really above my heart. I'll keep all that in mind next time.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    increased circulation will have an affect on your body for more than just higher heart rate. It's common for your feet to swell while walking and running as well. If you're having foot problems while walking consider loosening your laces before or even in the middle of your session.

I agree with the finger/wrist flexing while walking. I do it too and I've noticed my fingers feel kind of rubbery. I think in my mind that I'm making them longer (think Inspector Gadget type fingers) and push them out then make a tight fist to pull them back in. Sometimes I might even be shaking them at the wrist like I'm flinging water off my hands. Must be a sight to watch me walk lol.

It could be the heat, you could have increased sodium over the last few days, you could have skimped on your normal water take causing your body to think it's a drought and hold onto what you do get, but it could also be other things. If it doesn't subside with increased water, lower sodium and elevation you might want to contact your doctor. Sometimes you can call and leave a message for the nurses to do a quick evaluation and give you an idea of whether or not it's urgent. If your bp and hr seem normal it's probably just retention or circulation related due to increased activity.

Good luck in working it out!
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mid- 80's!!!! LOL, my hands would swell up too! I am lucky to see the sun and get to 55 degrees here!
    I wake up with my hands feeling swollen sometimes, I just assumed I had not drank enough water.....but I agree with above, maybe circulation?
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Only when walking, not when running. I think it has to do with your hands swinging keeping the blood in your hands? Anyway, every so often lift your hands above your heart (I ususally do above head) and shake them around. It looks funny but gets the circulation going in your hands. I found it on the web once when I started walking a lot in the morning.

From: http://health.msn.com/health-topics/heart-and-cardiovascular/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100205913

A: What you are describing is common. It’s likely related to vasodilation, which means that blood vessels are opening up, leading to increased blood flow near the surface of the skin. Increased blood flow just under the skin makes the face pink or red and it may cause puffiness of the hands.

Contrary to popular belief, getting red in the face during exercise does not mean you are out of shape.

Vasodilation may occur as one of the body’s ways of regulating temperature. Releasing heat generated by exercise is important, as it allows the body to maintain normal temperature.

Even before working up a sweat (another means of releasing heat), the blood vessels near the skin tend to dilate. This allows more heat to be released from the blood as body temperature rises during exercise.

There may be other explanations for puffy hands during or after exercise:

An exaggerated, normal reflex. During exercise, blood flow to exercising muscles increases. In an effort to maintain circulation to other parts of the body (including the hands), blood vessels may dilate. In some people this reflex is more pronounced than others.
    Trapped fluid. During exercise, there is increased circulation throughout the body. While the legs have large muscles that work hard during many exercises and that help “pump” this added blood flow through the veins, the arms have smaller muscles and they may not be working as hard during a workout (for example, while jogging). If the hands are held below the level of the heart, the added fluid must travel against gravity. Together, these factors make it harder for the fluid to return to the heart. The extra fluid that is “trapped” in the hands can cause puffiness.
    Once you cool down and the circulation and blood vessels return to normal, your hands and the color of your face should return to normal. If your rings are tight after exercise, it’s probably a good idea to take them off before you start working out.

Your hand swelling and facial redness may be annoying but they are unlikely to be due to anything serious. Think of them as small prices to pay to stay in shape and avoid overheating.
  • jbudzins1
    jbudzins1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I've noticed this for years when walking outside. Funny thing is... it is much less noticable using the treadmill inside.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    it's due to having your hands hanging down and swinging them, the blood isn't being circulated back like it would be normally because of gravity. The suggestions about putting them up above your heart every now and again, and flexing your fingers will help. It's a normal reaction.