NSV-- i could use some support here.

Options
Ree_Chatelain
Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
One of my personal goals is to run a 5K without stopping. Tonight I did that for the first time in a training session at the gym. I had the incline at 2 and I bounced the speed between 4.2- 4.4 and finished in 43 minutes. I was giddy and so proud of myself. I got to my mom's to pick up my kids and I tell her expecting a shower of support and and encouragment she says. "yea your face is all red. I hope you didn't hurt your knee more"
What the hell is that? I mean really mom.. I don't get it. When I was huge, i had to hear how unhealthy I was and how much i needed to lose weight. Now i'm getting there and I get THAT....

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congrats!!!

And maybe she's just a lil envious. But congrats on reaching your non stop 5k run!!!

P.S. Sounds like my mother!!!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i just ran my first 5k .. got to the finish line and held my hands up and got my gold medal.... looked around for my husband and daughter.. found them 20 minutes later ... they were bored and went for coffee...

my victorious feeling was deflated... apparently it wasnt as important to them as it was to me... what a bummer...

feel good about what you did.. you did great....! and shoot for 10k next!!! doesnt matter what mom, husband daughter think, you are doing this for YOU!!!!

running is the only time no one is yelling mom, or spilling things on the floor, or fighting with a sibling.... do the run for you... NO oNE ELSE

i would be happy to celebrate your victories with you!!!!!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i just ran my first 5k .. got to the finish line and held my hands up and got my gold medal.... looked around for my husband and daughter.. found them 20 minutes later ... they were bored and went for coffee...

my victorious feeling was deflated... apparently it wasnt as important to them as it was to me... what a bummer...

feel good about what you did.. you did great....! and shoot for 10k next!!! doesnt matter what mom, husband daughter think, you are doing this for YOU!!!!

running is the only time no one is yelling mom, or spilling things on the floor, or fighting with a sibling.... do the run for you... NO oNE ELSE

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    aw...sorry your mom couldn't find the right words...but I for one am very impressed--I can go for just about half a mile without stopping...looking forward to getting to what you've accomplished! congratulations on your NSV!
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't let your moms discouraging words get to you. That's a very big goal, something I'm working on myself at the moment. Literally, I just began running today. Keep up the good work!
  • mytwobabies
    mytwobabies Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well boo on her! And WAY TO GO!!! That's fantastic! So happy to hear you are meeting your goals. Keep up the great work and don't listen to non supportive people. You CAN do it!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    that's rude! sorry she wasn't supportive :(

maybe there's a little jealousy going on? maybe it was a bad night for her? who knows.

but I can tell you that YOU should be proud, don't let that remark get you down!! CONGRATS!
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    Eh.. don't listen to her. Some people just don't get it.

Congrats on running the 5k! Wow, you used a 2 percent incline? That's pretty tough. Did you always use an incline for your 5K training? I've been using 1 percent but my calf was giving me trouble so I lowered it to zero.
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    You just DO YOU... and the world will follow!
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    This is your journey, not hers. You ACCOMPLISHED something you worked hard for! HATS OFF TO YOU! Im proud of you. Take your victory and run with it, you earned it! :-)
  • voitdancer
    voitdancer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your Mom might not know how important this is to you, or how to compliment, no doubt she loves you, just doesn't know how to cheer for you? In any event, amazing job! Keep up the good work, I'm sure it's been a tough journey to get where you are now. Can't wait to hear when you run that 5K and kick butt!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, you're mom was probably just stressed about something else and was just concerned about you, but came off as rude...hang in there. You've done GREAT!
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options

OH..that really stinks. They should have stuck around to support you. Sorry.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB, WAY TO GO, YAHOO, YIPPYKYAA, OMG,YOU GO GIRL,SHAKE WHAT YA MAMA GAVE YA, WAAAHOOEYYYYY!!!.

you have encourage me also , i too am working toward that very same goal and to loose 60lbs, so keep up the good work and cut mom some slack she is the only mom you have :)
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!

Next time just let your mom know that a simple "Hooray" would be appreciated.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    That's a great accomplishment! You are amazing! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • lynxcoco
    lynxcoco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm impressed! Keep it up and don't let anyone discourage you not even your mom.
  • hchristine
    hchristine Posts: 63
    Options
    Congrats!! That is really something to be proud of. I would love to start running...just haven't yet....but I will one day :) I have people in my life that are the same way...I saw a friend that I didn't see since I started to lose weight and she didn't say a word. I was very disappointed, but oh well...I guess some people just don't know what to say.
  • jaymark
    jaymark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats, a personal goal of mine is to start running again, I am envious. Hopefully by mid summer I be in you position. good job
  • carriecolleen
    Options
    Ugh...I hear you sister! My Mom constantly tells me I'm losing too much, or I shouldn't be exercising so much. My brother is home for the first time in 2 years and we had dinner at her place yesterday. I was being cautious of what I was putting on my plate and she said "Your sister is watching what she eats...I don't think she should lose any more weight ". When I wanted to hear "Your sister is working really hard on losing weight...doesn't she look great?"

I get comments and eye rolls on a daily basis and if I so much as say I have a headache she blames it on exercising. I have learned to accept that my mother isn't capable of being supportive in that aspect nor can she hand out a compliment easily. So now I just smile and say ""I'm pretty proud of myself...I worked really hard and feel great!"

Makes me feel better about myself. Then I remind myself of all the people who said really nice things to me and are really supportive. My boyfriend, co workers and best friend are all quick to cheer me on! Maybe my Mom just doesn't "get" it...but she's a great babysitter (and free too!) and is always willing to do anything for me...so I try to think of that as her way of supporting me the best she can.

You're not alone ;)

PS...congrats!!! I think you are super!!! :))
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!