Having troubles getting enough calories?

Options
fatass590
fatass590 Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So i have been using MFP for about 3 days now. Today i consumed 1280 calories and burned off 444 from exercise netting me around 800. I have been eating healthy and 800 net calories just seems like way too little. What are some good foods that are healthy and calories rich? Or am i doing something wrong here? My goal on MFP is set at 1800 a day too.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. It's very easy to fill up on healthy foods and have trouble getting more calories in because you just can't eat that much food, lol.

Some nuts have lots of calories. Can you have those?

I love your name, lol. :)
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Okay. I posted something like this when I started.

The best advice I got was if I was that under, have a few glasses of wine or an extra serving of whatever I'm eating or, hell, even a piece of chocolate cake.

The point of setting a goal is that you reach it. Getting severely under your goal is not success because it's likely unhealthy. I'm 5'0 and I eat 1500-1800 calories a day.
  • fatass590
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You're not doing anything wrong. It's very easy to fill up on healthy foods and have trouble getting more calories in because you just can't eat that much food, lol.

Okay, good to know!
    I will try nuts, i think i have some in the pantry.
    Thanks, its motivational :P
    Okay. I posted something like this when I started.

The best advice I got was if I was that under, have a few glasses of wine or an extra serving of whatever I'm eating or, hell, even a piece of chocolate cake.

The point of setting a goal is that you reach it. Getting severely under your goal is not success because it's likely unhealthy. I'm 5'0 and I eat 1500-1800 calories a day.
    glad to see that im not the only one. thank you for your reply! So reaching my goal of 1800 is most important.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Netting 800 calories is too low for a 20 year old male. You won't get the needed nutrition with so little food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You just need to eat higher calorie foods or if you label food good/bad, you should stop that...

Nuts, avocado, high calorie protein bars, high calorie protein shakes, red meat, cheese/dairy, cook foods in olive oil or use oils on salads. Or just look at my diary.
  • LawOfFives
    LawOfFives Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is simple. Drink Milk. Lots of it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    eat more food

you know how to otherwise you wouldn't be here in the first place

martyrs don't work in weight-loss .. they crash and burn .. they lose more LBM than they need to
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like these ...230 calories crunchie-blast.png?w=173&h=174

and these around 200 calories hass-avocado.jpg

and this 95 calories each
    fx-cnb-pouring-bty.jpg

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

so its ok for a 20 year old male to net below 1200 calories a day, really???

you might want to inquire with your "dr" friend about that...
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP - what are you using to measure calorie burns? What is your current exercise regimen? What did you set your weekly goal loss to on MFP (one pound/two pound per week loss)??? If your goal on MFP is 1800 why are you only trying to get to 1280…?????
  • funkodrunko
    funkodrunko Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A few questions...

What are your goals?

What is your current weight/height?

Are you sure that you are accurately tracking? Are you weighing your food?

Also, I wouldn't really pay attention to the amount of calories MFP says you burn during exercise. It isn't really that accurate
  • ashoona
    ashoona Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A similar thing is happening to me because I am trying to cut unhealthy snacks from my diet which has left me with just my meals which are mostly healthy. What I had been doing before was eating about 1000 calories during meals and then snacking loads of crisps and chocolate. Once I removed the snacks and added exercise I was way under, the main problem being that I would only really realised this was happening at the end of the day and then would just eat rubbish to get my cals up.

Now I'm trying to think ahead and pack healthy snacks like bananas, grapes, nuts to eat through the day. As other posters have said you don't have to restrict yourself to healthy food but as someone who has struggled with a 3 twix a day addiction, I can't really trust myself to rely to heavily on chocolate to top up my calories so I find it better to prepare healthy stuff and treat myself now and then.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - what are you using to measure calorie burns? What is your current exercise regimen? What did you set your weekly goal loss to on MFP (one pound/two pound per week loss)??? If your goal on MFP is 1800 why are you only trying to get to 1280…?????

He isn't trying to 'get' to 1280. If you'd read it he says his goal is 1800. He wanted to eat more and was looking for healthy calorie-rich foods to have.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    800 too low for almost anyone, short of a toddler
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    800 too low for almost anyone, short of a toddler

Actually toddlers need a lot more as (i) they are usually pretty active and (ii) they are undergoing vast amounts of cell division and growth.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    What are you doing differently that you're just not hungry? You might start with that. Because the simple fact is that it's highly likely you didn't get here (to a point of needing weight loss) by eating way too little.

So start with: why were you overeating before, yet now you're just not hungry?
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think we have all been there. For the answer was cheese. And to be stricter with myself about the number of calories I eat for each meal.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    snoringcat wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

He isn't trying to 'get' to 1280. If you'd read it he says his goal is 1800. He wanted to eat more and was looking for healthy calorie-rich foods to have.

maybe I read that wrong, but I would still like answers to provide a response...

also, someone else in this thread said netting 800 was OK....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Op - if you need more calories the answers is always ice cream....and are you using a food scale to weight/log/measure everything?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Including some more calorie dense foods would be an easy way to boost your calories by a few hundred calories. These are foods that have a lot of calories but don't add a lot of volume to the food you're already eating.

This is a generic list and doesn't account for your personal definition of healthy, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat diary
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses