How do you log a Kettlebell workout?

Options
I bought and used a 10 pound "Danskin Now" Kettlebell. It came with a workout DVD and I did the warmup, workouts 1 & 2 and the cool down. I don't know how to log it though. I typed in kettlebell in cardio & strength training and didn't get back any results. Any ideas? I'm lost here.

Replies

• pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would log this as strength training. I love doing kettlebell workouts..in fact I think that is what I am going to do tomorrow :smile:
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebells and when I was trying to figure up the calorories burned, most sites say that doing kbs burn about 20 calories a minute. Since I'm on the smaller side and don't want to overestimate, I count them as 16 per minute. As far as a dvd, I would probably count as strength training.
  • FinMcK
    FinMcK Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would enter it as circuit training. I'm including a link to a site that calculates calorie expenditure for several activites based on your weight. I would consider any basic strength training as circuit training if you are doing it at a pretty good clip. I love MFP, but it's a bit limited in this area, supposedly because strength training is hard to measure. This other site at least gives you something to go on. I am planning on getting a heart rate monitor to wear during my strength training sessions, as my trainer usually incorporates some cardio with them. I know that it kicks my butt! Here's the link::flowerforyou:

http://www.internetfitness.com/calculators/calburncalc.htm
  • MindyMae8918
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm going to log it as circuit training for now. I worked up a pretty good sweat. I'm planning on getting a watch that counts how many calories you burn during a workout or any other activity using your heart rate to gauge it. That will most likely be the most accurate. Thank you all for your help! =]
    Thank you for the link too! That really helps.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell everyday. I incorporated in MFP what sparkpeople list for kelltlebell cals burned. I just do not eat all those cals back, maybe half. I use a 15lb and will start with 20lb next week. You should do a search. Just a few days ago someone asked this very same question and she was using a HRM to see how many cals she was burning while doing kettlebells and i think it was HBoss or one of the other guys who wrote saying you cannot get a good read from a HRM while doing kettlebells bc of too many variables such as the movements bc many of the KB movements you stand still. I cant remember everything but he said just take a good estimate and thats what i have been doing. I do not have a HRM either. You also have to realize with KB there is resistence and after burn, which is really good!! Good luck!
  • jojo309
    jojo309 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi

I love my Kettlbell and try do an Art of Strength workout most days so I got myself a heart monitor to record all my hard work , I didn't think that I would use it much but I'm finding I'm using even at the gym to get a much more accurate read on my calorie burn for all the activities I log on MFP .