Calories per workout?

Options
I am trying to figure out how many calories I should be burning in a workout. I know it varies per person based on many factors but is there a magic number you try to burn per workout and how many times a week do you work out.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    No magic number, no.
  • mr3thirty5
    mr3thirty5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Find an activity you enjoy and do it as often as possible. Remember to listen to your body and allow it to rest though. Personally, I try to burn at least 300 calories per day.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I like seeing 300 burned, but that's just because I like to eat a lot! No magic number, no. Ditto the previous poster who said just find something you enjoy and get into a groove.

Rest days are important. I usually workout 5 days a week, sometimes 6.
  • Solkre2
    Solkre2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I workout until 4 miles, 40 minutes, 800 calories are met on my elliptical. My polar heart rate monitor does the cals and time, and the elliptical shows miles.

The important part is picking something you enjoy, and keep up with. Also depends on what your goals are.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I like to burn as much as I can in my available time. I workout 5-6 days a week.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day, but I usually try to burn about 500 calories a day. Some days that means 3 or 4 exercises.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I aim for 250.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    not a magic 3 but on a full workout day with cardio and weights 800-1000, just cardio 600
    AND I eat it all back because I am still at a deficit. If you are going to up the calories burned up the food
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    not a magic 3 but on a full workout day with cardio and weights 800-1000, just cardio 600
    AND I eat it all back because I am still at a deficit. If you are going to up the calories burned up the food

or at least don't go below your minimum if you are at a deficit
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    1 hour of moderate anything you like is about 300 to 500 cals. First you need to do the 1 hour of anything 4 - 5 times a week. More important is what cals you put in. That can be tracked within 5%.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    and also remember that the ellipticals, etc overstate the burn.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I just use 5 calories per minute and am done with it. Anything else is usually too much.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I use a heart rate monitor but as the weight is going down it is getting harder to get the calorie burns I did before (hefting an extra 100 lbs around really ups the burn). I am aiming to work out for an hour a day for 5 days a week but didn't know if I needed to increase the time or just accept the lower 300-450 calorie burns.