Why do people always say they are looking for motivation here?

Options
SuggaD
SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
Support, yes. But motivation? No one can get you motivated or keep you motivated. You have to want it bad enough for whatever your personal reasons (motivations) are. Others can only support and inspire. Ugh! Just a pet peeve.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    That's what I've always thought, but I always thought it was too rude to just say it to them.

Preach it
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have to find my own motivation each day at exercise time. I also have to find my own motivation at each meal to eat less/better. It comes from within. I think it is attention seeking.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Motivation sucks.

It may help you get started, but it will eventually run out. One day you'll wake up and have no desire to do this and you'll quit.

What keeps you going are habits. I've focused on habit building and it is why I've stuck to my plan this time instead of stopping after two months.

Tracking your food and exercising just need to become something you do, instead of something you need to be motivated to do.

(using a general "you", not aimed specifically at anyone here)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me. From me, they're lucky if they don't get sarcasm.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    People want support from like minded individuals. That's pretty normal in life. Many people stick to their programs better if they have others to check in with. Positive reinforcement is a good thing. It works. Why would these people deserve sarcasm and rudeness? It's not those looking for support I would question the motives of, it's those who would feel the need to deride them.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Whoops. I'm totally guilty of that. I know only I can motivate myself to do something. So maybe it is support I'm looking for, and not motivation. But I have to say, reading other people's success stories does motivate me! And knowing that if I log in exercise, people who have added me as a friend will see it and like it, and cheer me on. That also helps motivate me. So perhaps I'll give you all an equally sarcastic response when you scold me for asking for help with motivation.

:p
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I think people misuse the word "motivation." They seem to think they need to be inspired every day in order to do what they know they're supposed to do. Work ethic and a sense of responsibility get's us through all the other duties and mundane chores of our lives. Why can't the same applies to eating?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I believe that what people are really looking for is a stable horizon point that they can focus on while they try to move forward, something that they can hold on to so they won't fall by the wayside.

They think it's motivation, but what they really want is a center that will grow and evolve with them.

But that takes time and a good relationship with yourself to figure out.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Nobody even really needs this site to lose /maintain weight, but everybody here presumably gets something out of being here and finds it supportive of their goals/lifestyle/habits in some way. If some look for motivation here, I don't understand why that would bother anybody.

Yes, motivation does need to come from within. However, external factors can certainly help strengthen that motivation. It takes time to establish new healthy habits...especially for people who have been doing the wrong things for a long time. In the early stages, if other people on this site can help motivate certain people who need that encouragement from others to get over the rough patches and stick with it until their healthier lifestyle becomes a permanent change, then that is a good thing. Not everybody needs external motivation, but it really helps some others. I have no problem with that.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Because people get desperate. We get to the point where we don't know why we can't just "buckle down and do it" (and stick with it). You hear about "motivation" and wonder, "How does that magically happen?"

Then you come onto a message board and ask.

It's true that really, nobody else can motivate you.
  • CathyGillis
    CathyGillis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    People want support from like minded individuals. That's pretty normal in life. Many people stick to their programs better if they have others to check in with. Positive reinforcement is a good thing. It works. Why would these people deserve sarcasm and rudeness? It's not those looking for support I would question the motives of, it's those who would feel the need to deride them.

YES
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I went to a Catholic school. The nuns were well trained in using rulers as motivators. Quite certain it helped me academically.

It's a bit unfortunate that we are supposed to be polite and respectful to most posters on this forum. I think a good insult (or perhaps sarcasm) would actually help in some cases.
  • ashoona
    ashoona Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Nobody even really needs this site to lose /maintain weight, but everybody here presumably gets something out of being here and finds it supportive of their goals/lifestyle/habits in some way. If some look for motivation here, I don't understand why that would bother anybody.

Yes, motivation does need to come from within. However, external factors can certainly help strengthen that motivation. It takes time to establish new healthy habits...especially for people who have been doing the wrong things for a long time. In the early stages, if other people on this site can help motivate certain people who need that encouragement from others to get over the rough patches and stick with it until their healthier lifestyle becomes a permanent change, then that is a good thing. Not everybody needs external motivation, but it really helps some others. I have no problem with that.

Agree with this. I definitely feel more motivated when I log onto here, especially when I've fallen off the wagon. I wouldn't say it 'inspires' me to get back on track, but reading through threads often reminds me of why I'm doing this and what my objectives are.
  • dotty_elmo
    dotty_elmo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Occasionally i find my will power slides slightly and i find motivation in seeing my MFP friends logging weight loss and achievements! It brings me right up to scratch again as i want a slice of that success! We all find motivation in different places.