2 Tbsp Coconut Oil/Day

Options
Hello. By recommendation from my gym trainer, I have been consuming 2 tablespoons a day of Coconut oil (in various ways, but mostly just cooking with it) for this past week. I have been feeling and seeing good results, but I am hoping it's not psychological and will wait another 2 weeks to see if there is a significant different or if all the "claims" are true.

I want to ask you- are you currently consuming coconut oil on purpose for health benefits? How long and have you noticed a difference in your health and overall general feeling?

I definitely feel fuller and have my digestion has been easier (these could be for other reasons as well...).

Thanks for your posts!

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i have been using it for a while now, for cooking. sub for butter b/c my daughter can't have dairy products. i love the texture when scrambling eggs, and also works great in a stir fry instead of olive oil. (i drizzle olive oil after cooking; coconut oil can take a higher temp) honestly i can't really say any health benefits but i feel great and love using it more than canola or vegetable oils.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I use it to remove eye makeup and to do an overnight oil treatment in my daughter's hair. If I am cooking I use olive oil, and I can't fit two extra tablespoons of fat into my day.

It removes waterproof mascara like nobody's business though!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    You have been feeling fuller longer because of the amount of fat in it.

When I first started putting it in coffee, 2 tablespoons would have sent me to the bathroom quickly. I'd imagine spreading it out won't have the same effect as taking 2 tablespoons within a short time frame. I also use it to cook with because like a pp it can take the higher temps.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    As far as health goes, I've noticed no changes (I've been using a tablespoon a day for about 4 months). As far as cooking goes, however, it is so much better than other oils/sprays/butters - my eggs never stick to the pan anymore, they slide everywhere, I love it!
  • sexyhot784
    sexyhot784 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Question I am wondering is why did your trainer tell you to consume it. I no its better for you but the reason they gave was?? Just wondering
  • francesjdae
    Options
    Hello everyone, thanks for the replies!
    Yeah, I originally bought coconut oil 4 years ago only for exterior beauty benefits (also conditioning my hair once every 2 weeks, removing eye makeup, using it as a moisturizer etc.) and I can attest that it does make a difference exteriorly.

My trainer recommended that we ingest 2 tablespoons so that we can & it would:
    -feel fuller (agreed with MelRC, because of the fat content)
    -coat digestive system
    -increase fat burning (I was skeptical about this)
    -increase metabolism (also I was skeptical)

Definitely cooking with it in replacement of other oils have been really awesome. I've been pleasantly surprised how nothing sticks to the pan and it doesn't leave my cooking with an overwhelming coconut scent.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a saturated fat.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health
    I head for unsaturated more often.