Becoming toned = calorie surplus or deficit?

Options
Hello,

I recently gained 15 pounds (most of it not being muscle) after being underweight for a couple of years. Because of my weight gain I now feel somewhat uncomfortable with my body. I would love to become more toned, but I guess because of my recent weight gain, I am confused as to whether I should make my MFP goal to gain weight or lose weight. I know people say that to build muscle you need to eat extra calories, but my instinct is to eat fewer calories to lose the fat I recently acquired.

I am new to MFP and to logging/counting calories/approaching fitness methodically, so I would really appreciate any help or advice on this topic!

Replies

• SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try the IIFYM(if it fits your macros ) .no water what to lose fat / weight you have to go into a deficit at least somewhat as well as regular exercise. Low carb, higher protein is a good way to add muscle as well as drop fat. It's worked for me so far !
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    A big part of looking "toned" is losing the fat that is hiding your muscles. So if you've gained 15 lbs. and are uncomfortable with your body, you probably do need to lose some fat. Doing some strength/resistance training a few times a week will also help you maintain more muscle as you lose fat. In my experience, losing weight slowly while doing strength training 3-4 times a week and getting plenty of protein has helped me to lower my body fat percentage. I still have some more pounds to lose. Then when I feel like I'm not jiggly anymore, I'll increase my calories a bit (especially protein) and focus on actually gaining some muscle mass.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Try the IIFYM(if it fits your macros ) .no water what to lose fat / weight you have to go into a deficit at least somewhat as well as regular exercise. Low carb, higher protein is a good way to add muscle as well as drop fat. It's worked for me so far !

ummm actually if you want to add muscle you want more carbs not less of them..

if you are cutting then you want more protein to preserve existing muscle..

and you cant add muscle and lose fat at the same time..they are diametrically opposed to one another.

OP - the answer to your question is that it depends on what your goals are..
    -
    if you want to drop 10 pounds and then do a bulk then you need to cut first and bulk second..

If you are OK with your weight now and are OK with adding more weight/fat then you can do a bulk ...

whatever you do you really need to get on structured weight lifting program that has progressive overload built into it...
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would go with a maintenance number and lift heavy weights 4-5 times a week. Don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

and you cant add muscle and lose fat at the same time..they are diametrically opposed to one another.

-
    if you want to drop 10 pounds and then do a bulk then you need to cut first and bulk second..

If you are OK with your weight now and are OK with adding more weight/fat then you can do a bulk ...

whatever you do you really need to get on structured weight lifting program that has progressive overload built into it...

No need to be rude , it's different for everyone. It's an opinion not a statement. What works for won't give me the same results. I've seen great results by in taking higher protein to carbs while "toning" and shedding fat . I'm not trying to gain muscle which then I can understand taking in more carbs but that won't help with ridding of fat.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    Options
    I didn't know everyone was an expert here. I was simply stating my opinion not making false statements. I have just as much of a right to post what I feel works me as what you feel,works for you. No need to be an *kitten* about it.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    Options
    IIFYM actually worts great to rid of fat, if you use it properly as well a calories in vs calories out, it's an easier way to track, if works great for me I have to be less strict .
  • ndj1979
    Options

-

No need to be rude , it's different for everyone. It's an opinion not a statement. What works for won't give me the same results. I've seen great results by in taking higher protein to carbs while "toning" and shedding fat . I'm not trying to gain muscle which then I can understand taking in more carbs but that won't help with ridding of fat.

no, it is not different for everyone. It is science.

If you want to gain weight/muscle eat in a calorie surplus and up your carbs…

if you want to lose fat and retain muscle mass then you eat in a deficit, up protein, and lower carbs….

yes, you upped protein, ate in a deficit, lost fat, and preserved muscle mass, thank for proving my point.

also, OP asked about gaining weight/muscle and you said to lower carbs…how is lowering carbs going to help OP gain muscle????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    IIFYM actually worts great to rid of fat, if you use it properly as well a calories in vs calories out, it's an easier way to track, if works great for me I have to be less strict .

again wrong - IIFYM is just a tool to create a calorie deficit..it is the deficit that creates fat loss not IIFYM…plenty of people do not do IIFYM and lose fat...
  • SaraSteeves1993
    Options
    You're not getting what I'm saying
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You're not getting what I'm saying

I dunno, from here it looks like he nailed what you were saying.

If not, feel free to clarify...
  • SaraSteeves1993
    Options
    I don't even see the point if everyone is so arrogant and rude. I thought this was place for motivation and support not ripping everyone apart .
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't even see the point if everyone is so arrogant and rude. I thought this was place for motivation and support not ripping everyone apart .

when you post incorrect advice you are going to get corrected..

if someone misunderstood what you said, feel free to clarify ...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I didn't know everyone was an expert here. I was simply stating my opinion not making false statements. I have just as much of a right to post what I feel works me as what you feel,works for you. No need to be an *kitten* about it.

sweetie- relax.

This isn't about us vs them- or us vs you.

The reality is what you are stating isn't an opinion- it is a fact. Yes there are certain things that work better for some people... but that has more to do with personal tastes and how we react to sustainability.

The reality is you NEED carbs to help build muscles. Low carb is the opposite of what you want for muscle building. Everyone shouts PROTEIN PROTEIN_ but protein is significantly more important for cutting/weight loss to help maintain muscle mass. Carbs and resulting insulin spikes are a big part of how you create muscle.

Which isn't about sustainability or you're comfort/hunger- i'ts a reality- a hard cold fact.

Don't take it personally.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    Options
    Haha I'm not taking it personally I was just taken aback a bit by the harshness. Everyone has thoughts and opinions there's no need to bring each other down
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options

-

yep
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options

not bringing you down only you can do that. just some of us really are not clear on what you meant :) see smiley face
  • SaraSteeves1993
    Options
    I'm new to this app it's hard to follow threads and comprehend what someone means through this there's so much going in all at once .
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm new to this app it's hard to follow threads and comprehend what someone means through this there's so much going in all at once .

well the OP never came back..so I guess we will never know now…

dont sweat it, its all good …