Lunch Suggestions

Options
So, lunch is always a chore for me. I end up getting the same crappy thing; a take away sandwich or pre-packed sandwich. Most days I go to the supermarket as I don't have time to prepare my own lunch. On bad days I will go to the mexican, chinese takeaway or Greggs Bakers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can get from a supermarket that isn't too unhealthy or dull beyond belief?? :)

Replies

• Tantaluss
    Options
    I went with Moroccan chicken soup, a pumpkin seed roll and a half a pack of almonds!

:)
  • ladycisbeautiful
    Options
    I have a personal blender so wizzed up apple, banana, ginger, pineapple and kale in seconds. Quick this way as the blender becomes the cup to drink from
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's quite respectable! Those horrible pasta things you make in a cup are quite low-cal, or a cuppa-soup and pitta bread? Supermarket lunches are a nightmare though...
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I always pre prepare a proper lunch the day before and take it with me, no temptation for rubbish sandwiches from the supermarket or canteen. I know you said you don't have time, but a good way around that is to cook more than you need at your evening meal (like enough for two people or one and a half times more than normal) and take the leftovers in the next day, that way the time is all incoroporated in to one slot in the evening.
    I've just recently bought a "box appetit" which is a bit like bento and there are loads of ideas out there on how to fill it :)
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    At the market, grab some pita bread and hummus and a piece of fresh fruit. Or, grab some cheese, grapes, and crackers. Depending on the market you might find sushi. These are some of my go-to lunches. If I go fast food I get McDonald's southwest salad with grilled chicken or chicken wrap. Obvkously, I'm not a low-carb/high fat diet person. :)
  • Tantaluss
    Options
    @novembersuse & @andielyn There was a girl buying pittas and I thought that was a good idea. I had sushi yesterday and it was nice but not very filling.

Has anyone tried those Subway salad bowls? They don't look tooooo unhealthy.

I wish I had the time to make a pre-prepared lunch but can'r seem to find the time :(
  • andielyn
    Options
    I'm with you on not packing most of the time. Plus I like to get away from work on my lunch break. I have not tried the Subway salads so let us know if you do. :) I've gotten chili and a baked potato from Wendy's before; I don't care for their salads.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I always have subway salad bowls too! Just try stick to chicken or turkey and ham (or anything else on the low fat menu) and you'll be good to go! They don't scrimp either they're always really full. You ever had a barburrito? You can get a bowl in there too, no wrap. They don't have nutritional info for the UK on their site though :(
  • Tantaluss
    Options
    Never tried a barburrito but that sounds like something I would like! I think I will try the salad bowl too. Shame about the lack of nutritional info. I tend to just over estimate in the absence of accurate info because I know my brain will be trying to convince me that there ain't too many calories in what I am eating!
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    What about prepping your meals for the week on Sunday night? I guess my weekday lunches would be considered "dull", but I make chicken breast, sweet potatoes and veggies on Sunday night and it's enough to last me through the week. I don't mind eating the same thing over and over again though. Also, Subway salads are a good option, as long as you don't have them put the dressing on for you and get it on the side.
  • Tantaluss
    Options
    Had a Subway salad bowl today (with chicken, no cheese or sauce). Have to say that it was really nice, and pretty good value at £3! :)
  • andielyn
    Options
    I'll have to give one a try!
  • mindyhughes2015
    mindyhughes2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I have to do fast food, I do a Chic-fil-a side salad and break up their chicken nuggets in the salad with honey mustard dressing. Delicious and the warm chicken is much better than their prepared salads.
  • micbegin
    Options
    Unfortunately we don't have any healthy options near my office. I've been trying REALLY hard to make one or two extra servings with dinner (I make dinner most nights for my family and myself) and packing for lunch.

If I have to run to the grocery store, I get some sliced ham and some cheese (sticking to the one serving), baby carrots and hummus. It's hard.

My favorite lunch right now is taco stuffed red or yellow peppers. YUM!
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tried dicing tomatoes, cucumbers, celery and red onion. Cover and put in frig. In a.m.add 1 or 2 cups shredded lettuce put this in a plastic container. At lunchtime, get a burger w/cheese ditch the bun and put on top of the salad mixture with dressing of your choice or just a little mustard on top of the cheese burger. You can do this with chicken sandwich as well. Not too fond of nuggets...not sure how they are processed.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Love the Subway salads! This week I've been pretty good about bringing my lunch. I grilled a few chicken breasts on Sunday and bring some of that with some frozen veggies and warm them up for lunch.
  • Tantaluss
    Options
    Now that sounds like a good idea :)
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I also love to grill a lot of chicken on the weekend and use it throughout the week, I'm surprised I'm not sick of chicken yet. Using a different seasoning or marinade every week probably helps. I am not much of a sandwich person, so I have been looking for some more options too.
    I'll also portion bags of raw veggies like carrots and sugar snap peas to crunch on, or even hummus and something crunchy to eat with it. Or a side sald with some homemade dressing to go with my chicken.
    And a piece or two of good quality chocolate, beacause, well, chocolate.
  • Tantaluss
    Options
    Gotta love grilled chicken. Simple but tasty! That with a simple salad would definitely cover the bases. Reckon I will start to utilise my steamer more too. One of may main challenges is to reduce my lunchtime intake but keep carbs as high as possible so that I have enough energy for my evening workout.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How about grabbing a pita or bread roll, a tub of hummus and a bell pepper or so? Throw in some grilled chicken if you want to up your protein. Or a bag of basic mixed salad with cottage cheese and tuna or chicken works well too, but may be too low carb for you. I'm kind of struggling with your high carb low intake requirement.. Do they sell those microwavable packages of rice at your supermarket? You could mix that up with some chicken or tuna too and add a little soy and some chopped veg for flavor.