Treadmill (aka: dreadmill) running :(

Options
So we got a bunch of snow yesterday (which isn't a huge issue-I don't mind running in the snow) but now the snow has been packed and turned to ice on the trails, sidewalks and roads. I'm working on the Hal Higdon Novice 1 running program for my first Marathon (scheduled for October) and am looking at doing a fair amount of running on treadmills between ice storms/ice and hot/muggy weather in the summer.

Any advice on running on treadmills? Is there anything I can do to make it less miserable? I mean...I find I'm in pain more often after running on the treadmill than I am running outside...I just wanted to know if it's my form or if there's anything I can do to make it more tolerable?

I am looking at buying a new pair of shoes sometime soon here so that may help a little bit but...Ugh. I wish I didn't have to use treadmills but sometimes they're a necessary evil.

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have no advise...I HATE the dreadmill. I just wanted to say good luck training for your marathon. Mine is in 2 weeks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try putting it on a slight decline or incline to see if that helps the pain.
    I listen to books (library and audible), and sometimes I do HIIT intervals
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed to use the treadmill so if I can't run outside, no running that day. Treadmill messes with my knees for some reason. Not to mention that it is hecka boring.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Got a TV or something near your treadmill? Watch a movie. At first it is tough, but once you get immersed in the story you forget you are running... sortof...
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Look up Virtual Active and check out the "virtual running" trails you can watch as you are on the treadmill. Sounds silly, but it helps me.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Butrovich wrote: »
    Look up Virtual Active and check out the "virtual running" trails you can watch as you are on the treadmill. Sounds silly, but it helps me.

Personally I watch the Sufferfest cycling videos. I don't follow the workout on the treadmill (sometimes I do) but I like the format and it gives me something to watch. Similar idea to the trails I guess.
  • FitnessFreak_69
    Options
    If at all possible you actually want to stay away from treadmills forever! Treadmills do not mimic running at all. The treadmill does all the work for you. Your glutes and hamstrings are being forced backwards by the treadmill. When running your hamstrings and glutes force you backwards. So the only ting you are doing is slamming on your joints. Just like roxiegirl said earlier, she says it hurts her knees for some reason. Makes perfect sense. The best thing to do if you cannot run outdoors is ride the stationary bike or do an elliptical machine. These are great cardio exercises! Good luck!

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I actually look forward to the treadmill - I stream Netflix and escape from it all for awhile.

Street running and treadmill running definitely impacts your legs / knees / ankles differently. I have slight knee and ankle discomfort when I begin the "treadmill season" in the fall, I get used to it, and then my knees and ankles are sore once I'm back to running on pavement.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill....I do run at a slight incline. I also do an inclined walk warm up for about 7 minutes before running and an inclined walk cool-down. Try running on the middle of the belt, not all the way towards the front. Also, I'm sure you're not a handle-holder, but I see people at the gym running while holding on to the handrails... I love listening to music when I run. I also do mini-sprints.... about every 5 minutes I run for 1 minute .5 mph faster. Good luck!
  • miel36
    miel36 Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The treadmill is really not so bad... it offers climate-controlled training, accessible washrooms, ensures you run on pace, and is amazing for interval training. Looking at it as a tool to get in a quality workout may help. I also make sure I have a fan blowing on me, have some great tunes playing, or throw on a film. I trained almost entirely for a whole marathon last year on the treadmill (due mainly to family commitments), but I PBd by over an hour compared to my previous marathon. It isn't the devil.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I only run on the treadmill because where I live isn't really safe. Like others have suggested, maybe if you watch the TV or something it will take your attention away from the running. My biggest problem is watching the time, as I am still very new to running, so like if I'm aiming to run for 3 minutes, when it gets to 2 minutes my mind starts focusing on that last minute and I feel like I can't do it. So I have this podcast for Couch to 5k that tells you when to start and stop and plays music for you, so I now cover up the part of the display that shows the time, and only look at the speed I'm doing. It helps me. Seeing as you are already proficient at running and not a beginner, this would be my suggestion; set either a time or a distance, and then use something to cover the display, even if it's just a post-it note (that's what I use, a post-it note that says 'Keep going!') or it could even be a tablet or smartphone screen, get onto Youtube and watch an episode of something :D

Also I agree with the incline, it is supposed to mimic outdoor running better on an incline.
  • seric2000
    seric2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like to mess around with the incline for a certain number of minutes, then the pace for a certain number of minutes, then do something different for a certain number of laps, then a certain pace for a certain song...all in a desperate attempt to do ANYTHING different! My treadmill is right in front of a window so I can (sort of) trick myself by looking outside and imagining running elsewhere. Just embrace the suck. :wink:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My colleague - with bad knees - puts the treadmill on a four degree incline to mimic outdoor conditions. Not the same thing, but....

I run on ice with cleats/grippers.

a1i-sport-runner-bb-l.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I bought a goji play system before I found out I didn't have to be chained to the treadmill to be fit.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I've never understood why everyone hates the treadmill so much?? I have a current addiction to the show Homeland, but I will only will allow myself to watch while I'm on the treadmill, I've logged A LOT of km's in the past few weeks!! :)

It's minus 32 degrees Celsius here today with a foot or so of snow...no thanks, I'll stay inside and gorge myself on Homeland!
  • glevinso
    Options
    If at all possible you actually want to stay away from treadmills forever! Treadmills do not mimic running at all. The treadmill does all the work for you. Your glutes and hamstrings are being forced backwards by the treadmill. When running your hamstrings and glutes force you backwards. So the only ting you are doing is slamming on your joints. Just like roxiegirl said earlier, she says it hurts her knees for some reason. Makes perfect sense. The best thing to do if you cannot run outdoors is ride the stationary bike or do an elliptical machine. These are great cardio exercises! Good luck!

Fascinating. So all the actual running coaches are wrong about using treadmills for their olympic and professional runners?
  • crystaldmb41
    crystaldmb41 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Because I run before I go to school (I am a teacher, so I run at 4:30 AM), and actually like the treadmill, I have very little advice. I just recently moved from flat, sunny coastal South Carolina to hilly, snowy West Virginia, and I am dreading when I have to make myself start running outside again at some point. The hills scare me. I have friends who want me to run with them in the afternoons come April and May. Luckily, I am toning up and losing weight for my wedding in June, so running twice a day then will motivate me. If I didn't have a TV to watch while on the "dreadmill," I would get on it a little less often! Change up the pace, use an incline to simulate the wind resistance, watch a show you missed because of work, and I guess suck it up (not to sound negative; things never sound right in text). It's just what we sacrifice sometimes with winter weather :smiley: . Good luck! Add me if you'd like. And miel36 is right-- you have bathrooms available and the weather is so much better!
  • glevinso
    Options
    I've never understood why everyone hates the treadmill so much?? I have a current addiction to the show Homeland, but I will only will allow myself to watch while I'm on the treadmill, I've logged A LOT of km's in the past few weeks!! :)

It's minus 32 degrees Celsius here today with a foot or so of snow...no thanks, I'll stay inside and gorge myself on Homeland!

I certainly prefer to run outside when I can. But yea I don't get the hate for the treadmill. It is a tool that allows you to get your run training done when you can't or shouldn't be outside.
  • ShondaBihari
    ShondaBihari Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill but I can see how you could get bored with it. I'll do a quick warm up, 6mph 10 minute mile, quick cool down and hop off. A few hours later I'll do it again, or maybe a 2 mile run at a slower speed. I like that I can just hop on and off with ease. When I jog outside it's like a whole process...drive to the park, or run in the neighborhood, get my earphones in, arm band for my phone....kind of a lot of steps...so maybe just try shorter workouts but up the frequency and/or intensity. Do 2 or 3 10-15min workouts instead of one long one. I listen to Pandora and get in the zone so I don't get bored, lol.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Fascinating. So all the actual running coaches are wrong about using treadmills for their olympic and professional runners?

Both my ortho and physical therapist told me to stay away. They are tired of seeing me for treadmill-related injuries and told me that the treadmill is hard on the knees. I mean, running is hard on the knees. Saying treadmill is hard on the knees doesn't mean you can't become an Olympic or professional runner on the treadmill. Big disconnect there.