rest days and 'resting'

Options
hey,

I was just wondering how many of you do no exercise on your rest days? I find this very hard to do, I get sort of itchy haha. I also want (and tend to) eat more - which in the long run doesn't matter because it all balances out anyway.

I have quite a structured, intense exercise schedule with a maximum of 2 full rest days a week but usually one. Otherwise, I run on average 30 miles a week, play netball 2-3 times and weight lift 2-3 times. On my rest days I do extra stretching but often find myself chucking in an extra 30 minute cardio session or weight lifting circuit

any thoughts on this? do you eat more? do you totally rest?

thanks!

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I don't have planned rest days. On unplanned rest days (like when my tennis match is suddenly cancelled), I find myself with lots of energy and typically get a whole lot of housework done.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If I’m working hard enough on my “ON” days, I have no issue doing nothing on my “OFF” days. That said, I may take a short walk or work on mobility and stretching on some of my “OFF” days.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't have planned rest days. If I take one it is because I am sore (like today) or too tired to get up for the gym. On those occasions I'll add an extra workout in on the weekend to "make up" for the rest day.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT DO IT!!! I hate rest days! I have very few if any days that I am not at least doing something like yoga or riding my bike at a slower pace. I feel like I am wasting time and I get very fidgety. Oh and my mood is foul on those days.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I have rest days but that is because overall I exercise more than average and have experienced fatigue and injury from not properly resting. It really depends what you do, and how much that pushes you physically.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i get in long walks on rest days, or i do foam rolling / stretching stuff. I cant do the no exercise thing anymore. I get cranky as frak.
  • snakebites94
    Options
    exactly! I have those mood swings though I'm wondering if that's because I'm hungry haha
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    have no issue taking days off. my thoughts are that if you've been doing it for awhile and you don't have any joint issues then keep enjoying yourself.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes I have rest days. 4 days on 1 day off in weight training. Cardio Sun thru Thursday, Fri/Sat off. Do I sit on the couch and eat bon bon..no..out hiking, swimming..doing fun stuff. I do think the body needs time to rest and grow but that doesn't mean mope around all day. And yes on days off, I generally restrict my diet if I'm trying to maintain
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My rest day is Sunday. And I rest. But I put my body through a lot during Mon-Sat (I generally do double workouts each day, unless I have something else planned in the evening). so I need a day of doing nothing, not only for my body, but for my brain.

I sit on my grandparents couch and hang out with them. We have a good time. I just make sure I stay in my calorie goal.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I always have one full rest day per week, body needs it, i eat a lot less obviously because I dont eat my exercise cals back
    You have a high activity level so you need it. If you walk around teh black every day (nothing wrong with that) then you probably don't
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of a rest/housework day.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to be 6 degrees when I get off work tonight, and I am not going to the gym. It is just not happening, mostly for safety reasons. So I decided to take a rest day because I am very bad at taking them. But I keep looking at my dumbbells sitting in the corner of my office longingly. I might do a few quick reps and some planks or something. I did skip yesterday's planks, after all.
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My "rest" days are almost always cross training days. XT days are when I focus on arm and core work... maybe throw in something fun like kickboxing to mix things up. It's not bad at all to throw in a laid back cardio workout on an off day. Just don't push it. There's also the concept of active recovery. Some people do best if they do a low key activity the day after a hard workout because it gets the muscles warmed up and increases blood flow to the area. That can help the rebuilding process so long as the workout stays low key.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I rest a lot on rest days. I use Netflix. Super effective.
  • snakebites94
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! No I'm definitely not saying that I just sit around all day and eat everything I can see haah! But I do find I am hungrier on rest days - probably because my muscles need refuelling after exercise and the deficit is catching up.
    -
    Good to hear everyone's perspectives :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to gain muscle, that muscle is built (more accurately rebuilt) as you rest, not as you are doing the exercises that damage the muscle and trigger the repairs.

One could argue it is just as important as the workouts themselves.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have sundays as rest days on P90 but other than that I take unscheduled rest days when my back is playing up. I try to limit those days but there's no way I'm making it worse.
  • ShondaBihari
    ShondaBihari Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I gave up on planned rest days. I do some type of exercise everyday (bothers me if I don't) but I don't overdo myself when I exercise and some days are lighter than others. I'd love to run everyday but I know my body needs to recoup so I cross train on the days I don't run.