Help me through this

Options
My name is Jaimie and I've always struggled with my weight. I never felt good in my skin, and like most people, my weight fluctuates. A year ago I weighed 135 lbs, today I weigh 180 lbs. I had my daughter in September of 2014 and gained a lot of weight. I was up to a whopping 203 lbs. I'm so depressed because of it; I struggle every day with getting out of bed, showering, and getting dressed only because I don't wanna see my body and think about what I can't wear because I'm too fat for it. I'm tired of starting a "diet" and quitting because I have no motivation. Today I'm going to eat how I have been and log it so I know how much I'm putting in my body and tomorrow, I'm going to eat the portion size I should be eating. I know it took 9 months to put it on, it'll take a while to get it where I want it. I don't really have a weight to where I wanna be at, I'm just gonna keep going until I feel happy. If you have any tips or share what you did I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was about your age and your weight I went on Weight Watchers and lost forty pounds. After a year I got frustrated because I couldn't lose any more, and I got more sabotage than support from my mother. So I gave up.

Now I am a grandmother and I've been on a serious weight loss undertaking for the past eighteen months. I am almost at 185 and I feel great! This is the lightest I have been for a very, very long time. I also don't care what my mother does any more. This is my life, and I'm taking it back.

Life is too short to hate ourselves and our bodies year after year. The first thing I noticed from your post is that you have lost almost twenty pounds from your top weight! That's amazing! Pick up a twenty pound bag of potatoes next time you are in the store to remind yourself of how far you have come already.

You may be suffering some post-partum depression. Don't be afraid to get help for that if you need it.

How about bagging up your clothes by size, the size you can't currently wear, and put them out of sight? Dress for who you are today.

I am glad that you are flexible about your final weight. How about setting up an in-between goal, like a 20-30% reduction from what you are today? That will be noticeable, and you will start to feel better, lighter.
  • lynnetteis40
    Options
    Add me if you like, my weight today is 182 I want to lose 22 lbs, maybe we can help each other
  • kimberlyanneturner
    Options
    I know , I know what your are going through. It's a staggering rough road, but we can do this. I was almost just a few short lbs from my goal weight using MFP back in 2011, then BAM !! a major knee injury through me through a curb, I gained it all back. I have struggled since then. I have had ups and downs. Now with high blood pressure and pushing nearly 250lbs I know I have to lose nearly 70 lbs. My Dr and I have a plan and it's one day at a time. I have a MOTTO .. 'PLAN YOUR DAY AND WORK YOUR PLAN" OK I have a lot of mottos, but this one is one of my favorites. I am working through my pain, I have looked to inspirtations and some HERO's like Bethany Hamilton , and Louis Zamperinee, I have read his book. These people have fought through pain and obsticles and made it. We can do this. God bless I
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Make one good decision, then make another. I agree with jgnacta that life is too short to spend time hating yourself. Work on portion size. Just getting that back in control will probably make a huge difference. I always thought I had to be 20 pounds overweight because I ate healthy foods and never lost weight. What I realized by logging is that I was eating waaay beyond a portion size, and picking up a few HUNDRED extra calories each day by grazing/snacking. You can do this. Baby steps. Small goals.

:)
  • SabyNicholson
    SabyNicholson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Jcopeland, I have a very similar situation as well. I have two boys was @ 130-150 range in high school. Gradually gained through college @ 175 and then 207 today. One of my pregnancies had me up to 260.... Feel free to message me directly. I'm doing several things now including actually measuring my food, but I also run a bakery on the side so.......... I swear even a taste adds 5 lbs. I could use the extra support if you need a virtual supporter as well.
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It was really tough for me after my son came 7/2013. I had to have a CSection and wasnt able to bounce back like I normally do. Then in November I broke my wrist and that set me back even more. I will say that I felt horrible in my own skin. I was overjoyed with my little miracle baby but was not happy with what I had done to myself. I will give you some background. I lost 70 pounds in 2012 and was able to finally get pregnant that year. We tried for about 4 years. When I got pregnant things changed and I ended up gaining back all of that weight. When I had Ellis quite a bit came off but I still had some fat left over and I am now trying to get that back off. So I feel you pain. I am working off what I already had worked off before.

But I know that I am doing this for my son and my family. I feel better and will fix this. You can do it too.

Please add me if you would like to have another friend.
  • hockeymomrw
    hockeymomrw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Add me too! I am very close to where you are and were. I'd be so happy to be back to 135 but even somewhat close would be good. I just started out here yesterday (after a prior stint using this site). After MANY failed attempts...this time I am focusing on building habits. Today is the first day and I've done very well so far. Eating lots of veggies and fruit instead of processed stuff has really helped me feel full and surprisingly, it also squashes the cravings I usually get. My new motivation is from a book I read called "What Are You Hungry For?" by Deepak Chopra. He explains a lot about what the food we eat does to us. I thought I already knew a lot about food until reading that book. It's inspiring. I highly suggest reading it!

I know how you feel about looking at your clothes and feeling down. I suggest giving yourself a break because you took a big step in signing up here! You are in action. You've already lost 20 pounds which is amazing. Tomorrow, look in the mirror and think, "I am a work in progress" rather than feeling bad. :-)
  • Sweetsluv
    Sweetsluv Posts: 2,260 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! You are nowhere near the point of no return but I know how you feel! I have been struggling with my body image also and will feel so much better about myself 25lbs lighter. It helps to talk to someone whether it be here or a trusted friend. Try to remember that your child absorbs your attitude more than you think. I always try to put on a confident face for my teenage girls because I don't want them to feel about themselves the way I feel about myself. I am at 160lbs right now. At 5'2" this is way too much. I had lots of success going he low carb route several years ago, but years of bad habits made the weight creep back. Keep checking in daily and we will pull each other through!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you're only 19 and you'll lose that extra weight in no time, provided that you go about it the right way.
    1. Weigh and measure (using a food scale) everything (including liquids) that you put in your mouth. As you said, get an idea of how much you're eating now.
    2. Then, find out how much of a calorie deficit you'll need in order to lose weight. WHATEVER YOU DO do not use MFP's default settings of 2 lbs. per week/1200 calories a day. That's too low.

Read this for detailed information: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

Note, that if you're breastfeeding, that changes things up a bit. In that event you would need more calories because you burn a lot feeding.

Good luck!
  • jcopeland545
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Just by reading all of your comments I feel better. I am breastfeeding so I get confused on the calories.
  • monilove617
    monilove617 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's comments here are so inspirational! More or less we have the same struggle! I've let myself carry this weight now for 10 years and that's 10 years too many. I've bailed on girls nights, family functions and social events because I've been so ashamed of my weight gain. And I refuse to do this anymore!

I want to walk into a clothing store and pick out whatever I want and feel confident!!

I would like to add you all as friends if that's ok. I'll send you all invites!!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. They don"t cost much. I got one at walmart.
  • jcopeland545
    Options
    You all are amazing! We can do this!