Reverse dieting into a bulking phase

Options
Hey bulkers! :smiley:

I would like to read your method and experiences when reverse dieting from a cut into a bulking phase. I won't be bulking for another couple of months (still cutting). Last time I bulked I ate way too much. I didn't know about reverse dieting either so I increased calories too fast. This time around I want to do things right and minimise fat gains so I can bulk for longer.

I have been reading some people only add 100 calories per day in weekly intervals, others add 200 calories per day weekly. I thought 100 calorie a day increase might be a bit slow.

How many daily calories did you add each week?
What were your starting calories?
When did you reach maintenance calories?
And was it worth it?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'd add 5g of carbs every day until you hit goal calorie intake. That comes out to about 140 calories added to your daily intake per week.

When I did this, I started at 2000 calories a day, then increased to around 2800 for a TDEE + 10% bulk.

I hit maintenance calories right around 2550 calories, and it took about 4 weeks of reverse dieting.

Yes it was worth it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I went up in 250 increments then sat at maintenance for a month. I also gained too fast on my first bulk.

This time, I ignored any drops in weight and at the end of the first month, I am bang on target (250 surplus) with a 2lb gain. The biggest mistake I made first time round was increasing every time I saw a drop on the scales and didn't allow for fluctuations. I'm being super cautious this time and won't be upping calories until I haven't seen a gain for at least a month - it might take longer but hopefully there'll be less to cut at the end.

I don't think I could go with the 50 or 100 increases - I have no patience. :/
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I reverse dieted into my current bulk, I increased by 100 cals per day each week until I hit maintenance. I sat there for a couple of weeks, and then increased by 100 cals per day for the next few weeks until I started gaining. It is a slow process, but I'm glad I did it that way as I didn't have any huge jumps on the scale and I deal much better with a consistent steady increase. I have had to up my calories a couple of times since I started bulking as I wasn't gaining quite as much as I'd hoped for (I aim for 1/2lb per week/ 2lb per month) and so far (2 months in) I've gained 3lb but my measurements are the same as when I started so I *think* the fat gain so far has been minimal.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a reverse diet to bulk for the last few months. It took me a while to slowly feel out my maintenence so I was trying to recomp during that time but probably leaned down more than anything else. Last three weeks I've added about a pound which is the pace I'm looking for. It's really a slow process of you want to do it this way but I really want to keep my bulk as clean as possible and it is working.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also did a reverse diet. I increased 100 cals per day every week. It was slow, it got frustrating (especially hitting my maintenance range) but after a month or so I started bulking. Yes it was definitely worth it and I am glad I did it that way. Started in deficit at 2500, now at 3200. Gaining 2lbs/month - very consistently too. I found it also helps with increasing your appetite if that is an issue.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I love the CICO force in this thread!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I was eating at maintenance prior to this bulk, but I increased by 500 calories over the course of about a month. I'm going back down now. Decreased 200 for this week, will decrease about 100 next week and each consecutive week until I start losing.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I never manage to get this bit right. Once I stop cutting I go a bit mental and I do tend to slide into bulking on a 300 cal/week increase. Ah well.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, they helped heaps.

When the time comes, I'll have patience and reverse slowly.

The first week I'll either stop cardio or cut down to one walk (currently 3 x 30 minute walks per week). Each week after that I'll add 100 calories per day of mostly carbs. It should be a guaranteed success if compared to how I started my last bulk ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't cut the cardio but just figure out into your eating. 3 x 30 minutes walks only add up to about 500 cals per week but add some other health benefits.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good advice, I do enjoy going for a walk. Last bulk I did zero cardio and felt like a bit of a slug (a strong slug lol). I might keep walking but drop back to 2 walks instead of 3. It's pretty casual and low impact so it's not going to be a problem. As I transition into a calorie surplus, I'll be changing my lifting routine from a 3 day full body routine to a 4 day upper/lower split, so I'll drop a walk day for the extra lifting day.
  • reemslaw
    reemslaw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    I was eating at maintenance prior to this bulk, but I increased by 500 calories over the course of about a month. I'm going back down now. Decreased 200 for this week, will decrease about 100 next week and each consecutive week until I start losing.

Is that the best way to start a cut? Will dropping cals slowly do the opposite of adding them back in slowly after a cut? Ie will it reduce metabolism bit by bit to make losing slower? Or is it the best way to hold on to your muscle?
    Thanks
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    reemslaw wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Is that the best way to start a cut? Will dropping cals slowly do the opposite of adding them back in slowly after a cut? Ie will it reduce metabolism bit by bit to make losing slower? Or is it the best way to hold on to your muscle?
    Thanks

The idea is that my strength gains won't be as severe and I won't be hungry all the time by getting slowly used to eating less. I honestly don't know re: holding onto more muscle...I think that's determined by the calorie cut below TDEE (which I plan on keeping to a minimum anyway)
  • reemslaw
    reemslaw Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you mean strength loss? I see. I'm doing the same as you. Dropped from 3500 to 3000 to begin with, and now onto 2800. 2700 next week. I expect my metabolism to be fairly high atm so I should start dropping soon. My last cut I was eating 1900 and not dropping weight because metabolism was so low so I'm looking forward to this experiment.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you mean strength loss? I see. I'm doing the same as you. Dropped from 3500 to 3000 to begin with, and now onto 2800. 2700 next week. I expect my metabolism to be fairly high atm so I should start dropping soon. My last cut I was eating 1900 and not dropping weight because metabolism was so low so I'm looking forward to this experiment.

The advise here from many of the experts e.g Dr Layne Norton is to cut only as many cals as necessary to maintain a weight loss. The idea is to keep your metabolic capacity as high as possible so that you have more room to cut later once you hit a sticking point. If you are already very low you will have trouble finding more cals to cut later.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Unless you are fresh off a physique show are prepping for another show I would just go ahead and bump 250 cal over maintenance. You will put on a little weight and then you will lean out at that weight as muscle mass increases...you hunger will increase as well...then make minor adjustments up as necessary. Like a step function...getting your protein...but adding in the carbs a little across several meals. My cardio sessions are at 5 days a weeks for 35 min on a bulk with target heart rate 130.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

Ugh, yes, loss. Still in bulking frame of mind LMAO