Changes in protein/fat/carb goals during the day...?

Options
I'm hoping someone can help me understand why the app changes my goals throughout the day. Say, for example, I tell it I want 100g of fat, 100g of carbs, and 100g of protein (just hypothetical). As I log my food, those numbers change. Is it because the app is adjusting based on the percentages of each one that I've input as the goal? I'm assuming that's the case but any feedback would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Your goals shouldn't change... The percentage reflects if you're having enough or too much of one the three.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Are you adding exercise calories? Because that's the only time my goal changes. The added exercise calories get added according their percentage settings to my intake goals. Ie. I earn 150 cals and it divides that and adds to my goals.

To be honest, Im not sure what you are seeing. If they are changing when you log your food, maybe its the view telling you what you have left to eat that day. Ie. you log bread at 15g of carbs and your total remaining goes from 100g to 85g.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you have MFP synced with an activity tracker? My Fitbit will update the exercise calories I am credited with throughout the day. And when the calories change, the macro goals change too...
  • joehagg76
    joehagg76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I think I understand what's happening. Yes, it's adding calories as I log my workouts. So as the total calories increase, the totals of each category must increase to meet that goal. Does that sound correct? Does this frustrate anyone else? I'd like the goals to stay the same but I'm sure there's a super scientific reason why it's designed this way. B)
  • Kymsanity
    Kymsanity Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's because your macros (protein/fats/carbs) are calculated as a percentage of your daily calorie allowance, so whilst they are displayed in grams they will increase as your calorie allowance increases according to the app. The only way to keep them consistent is by not logging any calorie deviations (i.e. exercise calories etc), but I believe that as long as you stick within the ranges shown in your app via the percentages you'll do just fine :)
  • joehagg76
    joehagg76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great thanks everyone. I get it now! :)