Weight loss after 40 is possible

Options
I'm 47 and I just started counting calories and exercising about 2 months ago. Starting weight was 227 lbs (my heaviest ever!) and current weight is 216.8 lbs. I've lost 10 pounds so far, 40 more to go. The weight didn't start to come off for about 3 weeks, which is frustrating. I though I was doing something wrong, eating too many calories, not exercising hard enough or long enough, etc. But one day I got on the scale and I had lost 3 pounds! I must have weighed myself about 5 times in a row just to make sure it wasn't a fluke reading. I actually have increased my calorie intake to about 1800 to 1900 a day which includes my exercise and the weight is coming off little by little. It's not as easy to lose as when I was in my 20's and I could diet for 2 weeks and lose 15 pounds. I am here to tell you that I was a confirmed couch potato, love my ice cream and chocolate (still do but in moderation) and on my way to a lifetime of medication and possible severe health problems. I still would like to be able to come home from work and just flop for a few hours, but I know if I don't do a workout within an hour of coming home I just won't do it at all.
And for those of you who are curious, I had a total hysterectomy 2 years ago so I am post-menopausal.

Replies

• FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It is possible! I'm 46 and I'm almost halfway to my goal of losing 50 lbs. I lost 20 last year using MFP (slow and steady wins the race!) and I plan to be at my goal weight by the end of the year. I've been working out 3-5 times a week since last February. It's a struggle some days, especially when you work full time and have a family to take care of, but I've decided that I'm worth the time that it takes me to go to the gym. My health and well-being are just as important as taking care of my house - and there are two other (allegedly!) competent adults that can do a load of laundry or wash the dishes. :)

Add me if you'd like!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 too! And we started out at a roughly similar weight. I was 220. I don't know how tall you are (I'm 5'1") nor how active (I have my settings at Sedentary and add exercise when I do it).

I have been losing steadily despite my advanced age ;) and a thyroid condition. Currently I am at (without any exercise) 1360 cals/day. I sometimes come in a few under, sometimes a few over.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and have been on MFP for 2 months. At my heaviest, I was around 220. I was 210 when I joined and am now down to 197. I too have a thyroid condition and am menopausal. I'm also very short (5'1") and have a small calorie allowance (1320). I've been losing steadily, some more weeks than others.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am 63. For years, (well really decades) I bought into the premise that "it is hard to lose weight after 40". Hence, I never seriously tried.(Well, I tried, but gave up very quickly.) Until 3/12/12. I was morbidly obese (it still is hard to admit this). I have lost over 160# and have been on maintenance for almost 14 months now. So yes, it is definitely possible. If I can do this, most anyone can. Best of luck to you all!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have lost 20 lbs. in the past six months. I've gotten my body fat down from 39% to 27%. I'm actually fitter than I've ever been. (I was skinny fat and never exercised when I was young.) I've got about 5-10 lbs. of fat to lose, then I will focus on building some more muscle and continuing to improve my cardiovascular fitness. I do strength training 3-4 times a week, and cardio 5-6 times a week. I try to eat plenty of protein, too.
  • Polywoggs
    Polywoggs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just turned 41 and within the past 2 years, I'd noticed my metabolism started to slow down. I had a neck injury and it felt like my metabolism came to a screeching halt! :( Within the past 6 years, I've started to eat healthier (-though, not as healthy as I SHOULD be) and I've become more active (-though, not as active as I SHOULD be). I'm a single mom, pushing through college, and working full-time. Time is hard to come by, and it waits for no one.
    -So, I started T25 in mid-December 2014 and as KBrunke pointed out- it wasn't until 3 weeks in, I started noticing results. Very frustrating because there was a time I could burn fat pretty easily. I guess it's an age-thing, but now, it's taking 3x longer than normal. Grr!-I guess we're all in this together! ;)
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and have lost 30 lbs since June. Slow but steady weight loss
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible! I am 43, hypothyroid for 15+ years, celiac, and have lost 30.5 lbs in 152 days. That's an average of 1 lb per 5 days.

I watch what I eat, weigh my food with a food scale, and work out. 3.5 lbs to goal! (5'7 and currently 138.4 lbs)
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    45 & I've lost 98 lbs.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Of course it is. I really hate naysayers in general, not just when it comes to weight loss.

It might be more difficult at 40+ than it was at 20, but it is not as if your metabolism completely shuts down. It is a little slower, but only a little. I gained 65 pounds from around 32-35, lost it when I was 40, then gained some of it back, starting losing again last year at 44 and now I'm only ten pounds away from my goal weight.

It's just an excuse people like to make for not losing weight. Most people prefer to just say I can't, instead of I can, but I have to work hard. That goes for just about anything.

I remember a friend of mine who is several years younger than I am said how the metabolism really goes down at 30 because she suddenly gained a lot of weight when she turned 30. Meanwhile, what else changed? She got married and had pancakes and bacon every day for breakfast (He liked a big country style breakfast) and a large Coke and pizza every day for lunch and sometimes dinner as well (He worked for Domino's and got free pizza every day), whereas before she usually just had a single hard-boiled egg and fruit for breakfast and a small sandwich for lunch. Yet she remained convinced the problem was she had turned 30....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and having a little bit of trouble but it is doable. For me the menopause thing does have its place in the weigh loss war for me...

A lot of changes, water retention, metabolism, all have had and still have a place that must be considered in my goals. My activities (exercise) all help with this. Less back pain, night sweats, over all feeling well with the exercise.

To bad I don't have a mother to help me with all of this stuff ... having to figure it out on my own! LOL
  • markus532
    markus532 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    hi i"m 47 I watch what I eat & i walk 5 km and a stationary recumbent bike at least 2 time a week . I've lost 150 lbs
  • BitterGoil
    BitterGoil Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Following this thread! I'm turning 43 this year and am at my highest weight ever. I definitely noticed a slowing of metabolism. Boo!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20s I used to work out for 3-4 hours a day and hit Burger King on the way home, lol. I knew nothing about nutrition. I looked pretty good but not for all the working out I was doing. As a fully-cooked adult, I totally get it now. I've lost 45lbs since September 2014. I wasn't expecting to have this kind of success but I guess it's a "perk" for when you have a lot to lose, lol! I love to work out and pay strict attention to calories and nutrition. I am sure it will slow down soon and that's fine. I'm starting to get more comfy in my skin and my surgically repaired ankle is feeling loads better. I have a way to go to my ultimate goal but plan to grade my caloric intake UP to my maintenance level over time so that the transition is smooth.

So glad to see some many of of 40+'ers doing well!
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you want something to happen, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find excuses.

I'm a firm believer that if someone is happy with how they are, that's good for them. But when I hear people complain about how unhappy they are with their fitness level or their weight, I think about how much they talk about watching TV or playing video games. (But I do this silently - my criticizing them is not going to help, it's only going to hurt their feelings and make me feel like a bully.)
    -
    I've lost about thirty-five pounds. I'm shooting for a racing weight that's forty pounds lighter than I am now, ideally I'll get there before my Olympic-distance triathlon in September. (That's how I'm celebrating my 50th birthday.) When people tell me I look great and they ask what my secret is, I laugh. I've determined my priorities. I make sacrifices. When I screw up my diet, I kick myself in the pants and get right back on the wagon. I treat my body with respect, and I thank God everyday for my good health and mobility.

I love how many of us have chimed in - we're a powerful, determined bunch of women! RAWR!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 47 and I lost 43 lbs over 7 months

It's not just possible, it's been the easiest and only time it's ever worked for longer than a couple of months for me

No excuses, just go for it and then just keep on keeping on :smile:
  • astrose00
    Options
    It's absolutely possible! I am 43, hypothyroid for 15+ years, celiac, and have lost 30.5 lbs in 152 days. That's an average of 1 lb per 5 days.

I watch what I eat, weigh my food with a food scale, and work out. 3.5 lbs to goal! (5'7 and currently 138.4 lbs)

I must have this dog!!! So cute!!!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am 41, and last year my goal was to lose 50 lbs. I lost 48, which is really darn close. I have had hypothyroid for over 20 years, prednisone for 11 years, and antidepressants for 10. So even with all those health problems, weight gaining medications, and a very sedentary lifestyle I was able to get that far in one year. My goal is to lose 50 more lbs this year, and then the year after that I think if I lose 30 lbs I will be a normal size person. Then on to maintenance, which I am looking forward to because I am silly like that.

Yes, it can be very slow. Yes, it is totally worth it. Every day is a new day - keep yourself accountable, and know some days will be better than others :smiley:
  • astrose00
    Options
    If you want something to happen, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find excuses.

I'm a firm believer that if someone is happy with how they are, that's good for them. But when I hear people complain about how unhappy they are with their fitness level or their weight, I think about how much they talk about watching TV or playing video games. (But I do this silently - my criticizing them is not going to help, it's only going to hurt their feelings and make me feel like a bully.)
    -
    I've lost about thirty-five pounds. I'm shooting for a racing weight that's forty pounds lighter than I am now, ideally I'll get there before my Olympic-distance triathlon in September. (That's how I'm celebrating my 50th birthday.) When people tell me I look great and they ask what my secret is, I laugh. I've determined my priorities. I make sacrifices. When I screw up my diet, I kick myself in the pants and get right back on the wagon. I treat my body with respect, and I thank God everyday for my good health and mobility.

I love how many of us have chimed in - we're a powerful, determined bunch of women! RAWR!

Awesome! What a great goal!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i will turning 50 this year and lost 56 pound since October. :) Of course it is possible