Turkey Italian Sausage

Options
Usually buy Johnsonville Italian Sausage but in my quest to eat healthier I purchased Turkey Italian Sausage from the major J-O turkey brand....YUCK!!!

Does anybody use this? What do you do to make it taste good? Or is it worth the extra calories to stick with the good stuff?

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I buy the Honeysuckle White brand and like it. It might be a brand thing, or it's your personal preference.
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I actually just had turkey sausage for dinner tonight -- it's one of my favorites. I use Shadybrook farm and tonight I had the hot ones. I also grill them, which I think makes them even better. They are 140 calories a link. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why sausage isn't great for you, even turkey, but I love them and they make for a low-calorie dinner. Tonight I had one with sauteed broccoli rabe and cannellini beans and it was delicious and under 300 calories. Give Shadybrook Farm a try before you give up on it! And, if you still aren't crazy about it, I'd say have your regular sausage!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Love it but the sodium sucks!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I love this brand of chicken sausage. So good!

al-fresco-chicken-sausage.jpg
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Yup... i love this brand too
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Nom nom nom
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hillshire Farm turkey keilbalsa is YUMMY! Way better than J-O
  • BettrFastrStrongr
    BettrFastrStrongr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's so funny you posted this, I *just* bought Honeysuckle White's "Hot" Turkey Sausage to try for the first time ever! I do plan on grilling them, as I think grilling makes everything taste better.

I ADORE a hot Italian sausage on a hoagie bun with sauteed peppers & onions with marinara and shredded mozzarella melted on top. (Toast the whole thing in the oven for a few minutes to get the bun toasty and the cheese melty- yum!) One of my favorite dinners, actually. So I was trying to find an alternative so I can still eat one of my favorites fairly often. I figure if I switch to turkey, change the bun to whole wheat, and keep the amount of cheese in check I'm good to go. :) Gosh I hope I like the turkey ones. I know it isn't going to be AS good but I'm hoping it will satisfy; I can't keep eating regular ol' sausage as often as I was.