New to MFP with Diabetes Type 1

Options
Hi there,

My friend in work told me about this site so i thought i'd give it a go saying as I am trying to slim down for my wedding. I found that i have always carried weight around my lower stomach and my upper arms. As anyone any suggestions regarding exercise for these areas? and also if anyone else has type 1 diabetes who is trying to diet?

Karina

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm type I as well, and trying to lose, mostly from...well, everywhere, lol! There are lots of other great type I's on here (though most stuff, obviously, is geared toward type II) that are super supportive. Feel free to add me!
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    I am T1 as well. I have 50 lbs. to lose and in 3 weeks already waved goodbye to 5! What has been working for me is that I do not think of this as a diet. It's a lifestlyle change. Logging my food and striving to remain within my calorie limit has opened my eyes to a ton of bad habits I've had over the years. It forces me to find other ways to prepare food and to get my butt in gear with exercise. If you have them... get out the hand weights to work on the upper arms. I have also had the BEST blood sugar levels that I can remember since I was pregnant with my son. Because you're logging everything you're eating, you're really on top of the carbs. Prior to this I would play a big guessing game with how many carbs I was eating. Good luck!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have been type for 15 years. Are you using shots or pump? I have been pumping the last 5 years and haven't looked back.
    My fat is in my stomach too. I always say its from taking shots for 10 years and now pumping. Why? That is b/c you have to stretch your stomach out to take your shot. There is no reduce fat spotting. You lose where you lose. Cardio is supposed to work to get flat abs as thats what Jillian Michaels always says.
    Being on MFP I have noticed that I take less insulin with my meals even with losing only 12 lbs.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Type 1 here (MDI) and I have the same issue of upper arms/midsection though it's getting better overall. My arms are muscular and I have thin forearms and small wrists, too, so it's frustrating! I do have some scar tissue in my upper arms which doesn't help, but I still carry more weight up there...
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm type 1 as well! For 17 years. My fat is all over the place, haha, but definitely on my stomach. I'm a pumper and love it. Would love to connect with other type 1s on MFP. I also blog about my life and my diabetes at LemonadeLife.com. Check it out if you'd like. :)
  • frank1711
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Frank, I've been Type 1 for 21 years and haven't had the greatest control of my sugars but I am still pretty healthly when it comes to poor control side-effects. I went looking for an app on my Android & found my MFP. I liked the fact that they app & website are synchronized & I can make entries fromn either. I joined MFP to lose weight to look better and be healthier in general not for diabetes control. However, I have noticed almost immediately my blood sugars have been real good. The weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like but I'm sticking with it. I've been told it takes a little bit to gain some momentum to really start seeing the pounds coming off. I'm also pretty lazy about going to the gym but I'm doing my best to go. We'll see how it goes. I don't mind talking about my diabetes & my experiences so feel free to ask me questions. I'd love to hear feedback from other Type 1 diabetics who have been using MFP for a while, tell me how you are doing.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Frank. Better numbers/control is a nice side effect of living better on the whole! My metabolism is picking up and I am needing less insulin after watching what I eat and knowing exactly what's going in to my body.

I'm having a difficult (slow) time losing, but I'm thinking it could be in part due to insulin resistance - which hopefully will improve now, too!

Also, I don't keep a log of my insulin or blood sugars...just food on MFP, and it works for me.

How many grams of carbs to you usually eat daily? Also, if you don't mind sharing, are you pumping or MDI, and what's your a1c?
  • Jenna470
    Jenna470 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Jenna and I have been a Type 1 for almost 17 years. I am 27 years old and just recently joined MFP to control/maintain my weight, but more so, to drastically bring my glucose numbers or A1C as close to 6 as possible.I have also been out of control or what they labeled a "brittle" diabetic for years. I should have taken control from the beginning but I know I can't. I just have to move forward and improve my numbers from here on out. I have started to incorporate exercise into my daily activities which is a first for me. I would like to have kids sometime in the next few years and need to be prepared for that if so. I am no where near ready for that....medically or physically!

Please feel free to add me as a friend on her b/c the more support, the better. I think it would be nice to have other "friends" who can relate to each other with diabetes and many other topics! Good luck!
  • frank1711
    Options
    fenestraria - I don't track my carbs but I do track my blood sugars and insulin. I try and stay away from the high/bad carbs but not as much as I should. MFP is really helping with that, I have always checked lables for carbs but not calories, now I'm checking both.

I have a OneTouch UltraSmart meter that keeps all my information. I can then go back and look at charts and track my results. I just looked at it & verified it has the ability to accept food, exercise & health data as well. Maybe I'll start putting my results from MFP into my meter, Hmmm. Anyway it's a good meter and they have a new one that communicates with a pump wirelessly. Pretty cool stuff.

I am currently on MDI but have thought about a meter a lot for the last few years but haven't made the financial leap yet. Insurance will cover some of it but I want the newest fanciest model with all the bells & whistles so it'll cost me a little bit still. I don't rememebr what my last A1c was (I'm due for another) but if I had to guess I'd say 6.8.

Jenna470 - welcome, glad to have you as a friend!
  • Jenna470
    Jenna470 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Frank2884. I am on the the pump that communicates with the machine. It's by One Touch also and called the Ping. I've been using it since 2009 and really like it. You are right that getting on the pump is expensive for all the supplies and infusion sets. insurance companies will cover a percentage but you still have to pay a good portion when re-ordering supplies and other little necessary things. Overall I am happy with it

I just did the local JDRF walk and there was a One Touch/Animas representative there and he said that by the end of this year they should be releasing the model of the pump that will not only dispense insulin but test your blood glucose from the same pump. I knew they would eventually come out with it but just takes time and money!

Well thanks for adding me as a friend! Glad to meet everyone!
  • frank1711
    frank1711 Posts: 3
    Options
    Jenna - I'd be more willing to shell out the bucks for a combined device. My insurance is pretty good & I test A LOT so I think that supplies battle has already been fought (300 strips a month). My hurdle is my precentage of "durable medical supplies" my responsibility is higher on hardware than on supplies. I'll keep an eye on the website for the new pump/meter device. Thanks for the heads up!
  • zeus277
    zeus277 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Jenna- I am sending a friend request immediately. I am a 29 year old Type I diabetic, also on the pump and new to MFP this week. Hoping to lose at least 60 lbs and get my A1C down too. Good luck! We can do this!