Just Joined a Gym!

Options
I just joined a gym today, one that's close by and good priced. Anyone have any advice for a first time gym-goer? I'll be going after work in the morning (otherwise once I get home I won't want to leave again!) for an hour (to start, I don't want to overwork my body which is not used to working out and hurt myself). So any tips or advice would be much appreciated! What to do before and after, etc..

Thank you!

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    dont be intimidated.
    many people assume that when theyre new, all eyes will be on them. they wont be.
    dont be afraid to really figure out the machines before (if) you use them. read the little instructions.
    dont hesitate to look up a lift on youtube or something if youre unsure of the motion.
    better safe than sorry, right?

just remember, you are there for you. make the most of it, and enjoy it!
  • harriyot
    harriyot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Take it easy - don't go barrelling into it and end up half-crippled.
    Use your gym induction to ask all the questions you need answering, regardless of how daft you think you sound.
    Take an iPod - working out can be boring sometimes so use the time to listen to music. I prefer podcasts, personally.
    Don't forget water bottle and towel.

Have fun. When I first started I was still bald from my chemo and looked like a weird puffy chicken. I was really worried that everyone would stare but no one did. Really, we're not that interesting to each other. The focus is elsewhere.

Good luck!
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    buy cheap sandals for the shower and locker room.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    1-Ask the staff if you have questions about machines
    2- Don't worry if you think you look silly doing something. People going to the gym are not paying you any mind at all.
    3- Try a group fitness class if your gym has them. They are really fun and great way to meet people, stay on track and interact with the staff
  • DianeHuybers
    DianeHuybers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan for what you want to do, and which machines/weight you want to use, then you don't feel so uncertain when you go in.

Going is always better than not going, even if at first you only feel comfortable walking on the treadmill.

Ask people/staff if you are uncertain how to use a machine. Of course there are jerk everywhere, but that's their problem not yours, and 99% of the people at the gym with have nothing but respect for you and will be more than willing to answer a quick question.

Lift weights! Muscle will work for you burning calories!

Don't be intimidated! If you feel self conscious just think to yourself " you are not standing between me and my goals"....and it will get better and better as you go!

Good luck!!
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats...dont kill yourself day 1 you'll be so sore you won't wanna go back... Ease yourself in
  • candyliquor
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Is there anything I should eat or drink afterward once I get home and relax? I heard once that some sort of protein is good for you once you're done working out, but I honestly have no idea.

And I have my little ipod shuffle charging up as I type this so it'll be ready for tomorrow! I also have a little bag packed with a towel and a change of clothes (my work has a uniform I have to wear, so I'm gonna change once I'm off work before I leave), a lock for the lockers, etc...

One thing to note is that the gym I signed up at has a separate work area that's women only- same equipment as the main area and all that, which is nice, since I am pretty self conscious about my weight and working out in front of people.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking this first step! Don't be intimidated, really and truly people are more focused on themselves and their workouts than others. Also, talk to the gym staff. My gym had intro tutorials and one free personal trainer session. If yours offers it, use it! My trainer was awesome, even with me being honest and telling her I would not be signing up for personal training right off the bat. ( I was planning a wedding and couldn't afford it).
    Other than that, YouTube and other sites are awesome for planning new workout routines. Good luck on your first day girl! :D