I run, therefore I fart.....

Options
Why am i persecuted in the gym for farting on the treadmill? Its a natural function and the movement of your body helps things move along. How is this any different from the women who bathe in perfume and then stink up the place ( and burn my eyes and throat ) when they exercise?? Anyone else have a problem with this? I'm not embarassed by it, but I've actually had people tell me off......

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that farting in public is generally frowned upon, I just say "meh".

My only suggestion here is "never trust a fart" when running. Ever. One day you will lose the bet. Trust me on this. It is not fun.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lol (sorry, I couldn't help laughing). It depends... if it's something that can't be controlled then don't worry about it. Just let the person know it's an accident and things happen when you run. However, if they're incredibly loud or stink really bad, then I could see their point. Things happen in gyms and a lot of it isn't pretty (farts, B.O. etc. Etc.).

I run outside by myself when the weather is nice, so I don't share your problem. Besides, the place I run by has cows so it masks any smell I may make.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I fart whilst running..
    Jump roping.

Benching

And squatting.

Less so with dead lifting but whatever I'm just a gassy gurl.

Tough titties for anyone else.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    My only suggestion here is "never trust a fart" when running. Ever. One day you will lose the bet. Trust me on this. It is not fun.
    Truer words have never been typed.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    How the heck did they notice? My gym is usually pretty noisy in the cardio section, especially the treadmill area. Are these earth shakers?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I fart whilst running..
    Jump roping.

Benching

And squatting.

Less so with dead lifting but whatever I'm just a gassy gurl.

Tough titties for anyone else.

Yup

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Truer words have never been typed.

Oh yeah!!!! No truer words ever spoken!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that farting in public is generally frowned upon, I just say "meh".

Wise words.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    SofaKingRad_II Posts: 591
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just speaking for myself here...I guess when I'm running and taking in deep breaths I don't care to take in someone else's an*l air.
  • glevinso
    Options
    If you are breathing through your nose, and can thus detect the smell of fart, you probably aren't running hard enough :)

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    A polite individual will say "excuse me" if they do this. If you don't say "excuse me" and you're just blowing butt gas all over the place, then I don't think it should come as a surprise if people object. No one wants to breathe that in; it's nasty. Maybe try going to the can before your workout and attempt to push out any possible, uh, offenders first.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

So true!
  • glevinso
    Options
    Threads like this make me glad I have my own treadmill and indoor bike setup. I can stink as I please.

Now if I could just get the funds together to get an Endless Pool installed in my basement I will never need to go to the gym again!
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nothing worse then flatulence on a heavy protein day... good Lord I can't even stand my own on those days.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    They actually do make carbon filtration undies for people with chronic issues. I would post a link, but then I would be accused of spamming, so I will let people do their own googling. Honestly, if I were making a gym unbreathable for others, I would buy a pair of these things for my workouts. Manners exist, not to be prissy, but to make the world a more comfortable place for all. For anyone unconcerned with how they may affect others, simply imagine yourself on the receiving end... not so great eh?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    How the heck did they notice? My gym is usually pretty noisy in the cardio section, especially the treadmill area. Are these earth shakers?

trust me- you'd notice if I did it- I'm a walking methane death machine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Threads like this make me glad I have my own treadmill and indoor bike setup. I can stink as I please.

Now if I could just get the funds together to get an Endless Pool installed in my basement I will never need to go to the gym again!
    You'd be a self contained triathlon machine!
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    how does anyone know it's you doing it unless you're blasting like a jet engine or there's only you and one other person around (as the old saying goes, if two people get on an elevator and one of them farts, they both know who did it), and even then I think a simple 'excuse me' would be fine, lol
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with other people farting. I think it's funny (I know, I'm very mature) But I'm also completely oblivious to what's going on around when I work out at the gym. I mostly run outside and don't even try to hide my farts, spits, nose blowing - you name it. So OP, you are good in my book.
  • harriyot
    harriyot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do that! It's not smelly, it's just because the jiggling gets your bowels moving (or something).

I do find farts hilarious, mature as I am, but I wouldn't laugh at gym farters.