Hi all who have reached your half way mark, what is the feeling like?

Options
I have been in my obese zone for about 14 years! :( I can not even remember what its like to be thin! Would love some cheerful news, do share your feelings of joy etc.... How long it took you to reach half way mark?

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    half way to goal or losing half of your total body weight?
    Took me 6 months, 12 days to reach my half way mark of losing 232lbs (432lbs to 316lbs = 116lbs down).

Took me 1 year, 1 month, 14 days to lose half of my total body weight = 432lbs to 215lbs = 216lbs down.

Just can't put it into words but one of my motivations was to get basic hygiene back. That alone made me a happy camper.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It took me less than 6 months to lose 50lbs. It feels great when people start complimenting you on your success. Good Luck on your Journey

29509743.png
  • du6157
    du6157 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 40 lbs. The benefits are: buying new clothes in regular sizes, feeling better when I run, convincing my husband to get on board with a healthy lifestyle. We're in our 50s and we have a lot of years left to live. I want them to be happy and healthy years.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I reached my halfway point (35 lbs down) in about 6 months and I imagine it's going to take another 4 or 5 months from now (14 months into this life change) to reach my ultimate goal. I'm taking it slow to maintain my muscle and build strength along the way.

The biggest thrill for me was going shopping for new clothes in regular sizes. I had a blast buying jeans and sleeveless shirts and as a swimmer I was buying a new bathing suit every 6 to 8 weeks in a smaller size. The compliments from my husband of 36 years didn't hurt either!

Now I'm only about 15 to 20 pounds away from my goal and our daughter drove in from CO last night to spend about 10 days with us and when she hugged me she said, "Wow mom, you're so little".............. :D
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't wake up one day and say, oooh, halfway to my goal. I never really set a long term goal. One day, one week at a time. So it wasn't until I one day calculated that doubling my current loss would be too much. It was only then that I realized how far I had made it. It was a nice little source of light :)
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 pounds away from halfway to my goal - can't wait...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't wake up one day and say, oooh, halfway to my goal. I never really set a long term goal. One day, one week at a time. So it wasn't until I one day calculated that doubling my current loss would be too much. It was only then that I realized how far I had made it. It was a nice little source of light :)
    Same with me. My first goal was just to lose 10% of my weight, which is touted by medical authorities as being so beneficial. I got there in about 10 weeks. Then I thought it was working so well that I would try to move from obese to overweight; it's hard to say how long that took, because I did dip below that line about seven months in to the process, then spent around six months bouncing around in a 10-lb range that included that line. In the past two months (13 to 15 months after I started) I was finally able to lose a little more and stay consistently below the obese line.

It wasn't until reading this thread that I realized that doubling my loss-to-date would take me to the mid-point of the healthy weight range for my height, which coincidentally was what I weighed decades ago entering my senior of high school, and while I suppose if I ever get there I might think I want to lose another five pounds, I doubt it. Right now I'm hoping to eventually make it to the top end of the healthy weight range for my height. I'm happy with a slow downward trend at this point--I'm even happy with just maintaining the loss so far, because when I started I wouldn't have believed I could lose this much, and I know that statistics don't favor maintaining a weight loss long term.

So thanks for making me realize I've reached the half-way mark. It feels good. But don't feel like you have to get that far to feel good about what you've accomplished. I regularly look back at what I weighed 12 months previously, and feel really happy, even if it's not a huge number. It's so much better than weighing more than I did 12 months previously, which would likely be a path toward diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wished I had wasted so much less time talking to other people about losing weight instead of taking legitimate action to get it done.
  • DragonfliesOnWings
    Options
    I've lost 43 lbs and have 47 left to go. I've had people compliment me on looking good. Honestly, at first I kind of felt satisfied with where I am, but then I looked in the mirror. I want to be able to run in just my running bra and shorts next summer and look good. I have a long way to go before my Irish white abs can be shown to public. I'm proud of what I've done so far, but determined to finish and maintain this time.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Felt like one pound lighter than the the last week, which felt much the same as the pound before that and the pound before that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me, the scale was just sort of a bonus benefit of getting my *kitten* together. I was always far more excited about my ever improving blood work and fitness PRs and improvements than I was about the scale.

I'm actually still "overweight" as per BMI...but I'm about 15%-17% BF so I really don't worry so much about those kind of labels.

Just keep on keeping on...it is nice when people start complimenting you...but ultimately it has to about more than just some number on the scale or being thin or whatever...I mean, eventually you will get there, and then what...what will be your motivation then?
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi all a Happy New Year and thanks for sharing, I wish I could get pass my half way mark, like yoovie says I got to take "legitimate action to get it done" I had lost 6kg before the new year, and damn but during the festive season I put that all back!!
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm so close to my halfway mark. I know I still have a long way to go, but I've seen improvements just from getting far. I'm not so sluggish, I have way more confidence again (which has helped make my marriage even better), clothing options are getting easier, people are nicer to me (which, it shouldn't be that way, but it is). I can't wait to experience goal weight. :D
  • SallyJones1985
    SallyJones1985 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, it's not changed much. It's taken a year to get here, 51lbs lost from my goal of 100. And I still hate my body and don't see any difference what so ever. I obviously know I've lost weight from my clothes and the number on the scale, but the mirror and my own eyes when I look at my body show the same lardy fat a** that I was a year ago.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i honestly didn't notice my body changing much, but others did. it felt good to have the fake, semi-condescending "have you lost weight?"s turn into genuine "oh my god WHAT are you doing because is it ever working"s. the best feeling, and to me, the greatest measure of my success, was having people start asking me for weight loss advice instead of trying to give it to me unsolicited.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I started with 160 lbs to lose on June 5th. I got to 80 lbs lost two weeks ago. So, it took me just shy of 7 months to reach my half way mark.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I never focused on a halfway mark, partially because my goal was never determined with certainty, but also because I had a lot to lose and didn't want it to seem overwhelming. I knew I wanted to be somewhere in the healthy BMI range (127-171 for my height), but wanted to see what I looked like before determining how much is enough.

I started at 267. I broke it up into smaller mini goals. Getting below 250 was my first goal...that felt very good. 225 was huge. 203 was important because that is the weight at which I was no longer obese and just became overweight. I was amused at how excited I was to be overweight. LOL! Getting below 200 was even better. Every time the second number goes lower I am very happy. I am currently 182 and still 11 pounds overweight. My final goal? Not sure...somewhere in the 140-160 range...even though my doctor keeps saying that is too low for my frame and 170 is better. But I'll know when I reach it.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    wow all well done:) I can not wait to be out of my obese zone, half way will put me in my overweight zone, haha looking forward to that as well. The tough part for me is the saying NO NO part!! & yes yes to exercise. Some people have actually lost all their weight on diet alone!! how cool is that :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Its taken me 3 years to lose 45lbs, and I technically have 45 more to lose. I'm not nearly as strict about my diet as I should be, but that is changing soon.

The psychological part is hardest for me. My fellow gym members have seen me go from a size 18 to a 10/12. They've watched my confidence grow, and me do things I never thought I'd do. Occasionally, someone will approach me and compliment me, and I never knew how to respond. Finally I started thanking them and telling them it meant a lot to me because I have trouble seeing it.

For those who aren't happy with their body yet.. Try flipping the script. Say something like " I have big thighs...but they are strong enough to leg press 500 lbs" . I try to see something other than my love handles-- the flex of my shoulder muscles as I do my sets of rear Delta, etc.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It took me about a week shy of 7 months to reach my halfway point (101 pounds lost). It feels freaking fantastic! Knowing that I've made it this far gives me confidence to know I can make my goal. I shared my news with my sisters and on MFP almost immediately. However, I will say that it's only been about the last 2 weeks (I'm 8 1/2 months in) that I've actually been able to look in the mirror and see a change. It has taken that long for my brain to catch up and see what it really there instead of what it was used to seeing. I've had to trust the scale, the measuring tape, and my clothing to tell me that I was really losing weight… because I had a hard time seeing it on myself. And honestly… I think the day when I was finally able to see it on myself when I looked in the mirror felt even more fantastic than hitting the halfway point.