My body has hit the dreaded Plateau

Options
Help how to get out of this phase!!??????

From what my curves coach has been telling me is that i need to increase my calorie intake and workout intensity. I usually have three small meals a day sorta not within my calorie range because my should be calorie intake is too much and I don't be that hungry. As far as my workout I walk and do other cardio activities for 30 minutes and I have been doing those type of exercises last year around july 2014. Back then I was 316 pounds and now I am down to 252 or 251 pounds.

I use to lose at 2 or three pounds a day, but the scale has been 253 or 252 since the holidays. I now lose at least 1 pound a day!!!! I recently have been doing jillian Michaels no trouble zones which consist in exercises with hand weights. My sister seem to think it may be muscle mass because I have been doing Jillian Michaels.

Please help me

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Consider that you have lost SO much that you are now at a weight where it is not healthy to lose 2-3 pounds a day! I only had a little to lose and was told that a pound a WEEK was the maximum I should lose in order to stay healthy. Your big losses were proportional to what you had to lose, and you were SO SUCCESSFUL that you are now losing fewer pounds per week, because YOU are smaller!

Congratulations on your success!
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You will naturally lose weight slower as you grow thinner. I dont see a problem just yet continue as you have done before. Maybe vary your workout styles? The plateau means you aren't lpsing weight anymore but you are so don't worry to much and keep at it :)
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 pounds a day is not sustainable for long. You should be aiming for more like two pounds a week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    wait you lose a pound a day and you are complaining…am I reading that right???
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Wait...so you're not at a plateau then, if you're losing 7 lbs a week. That is pretty aggressive, and you should expect it to slow down. A lot. Once you reach about 50 lbs away from your goal 1-2 lbs a week should be the aim, eventually trickling to .5-1lb a week. The less you have to lose, the more likely you are to lose muscle mass from losing weight too aggressively.
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    Also try to avoid high salt intake usually from processed foods because it makes your body take in and retain water this means you weigh more. This is one of the reasons people sometimes gain a few pounds overnight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ummmm. A pound a day?! I fail to see any issue here - you're losing at a rapid rate. A pound a week is awesome losing in my opinion and something I wish I could achieve. A pound a day is just beyond what most people can expect to lose.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

But it stays at the same number for days maybe 2 days
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You guys it stays the same weight for like 2 or three days
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

But it stays at the same number for days maybe 2 days

I've had my weight stay the same for at least a week before. Up and down fluxes, until I saw a drop in weight loss. This is a game of patience.

Water weight from sodium, exercise, tom, etc impact scale weight. None of them bad, it's just part of it. Several days? Like a blind of the eye.
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    Yes, usually people lose that pound per week not per day. You don't have to worry just yet. :) if you haven't lost weight in a week or so maybe.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Completely normal. That is in no way a plateau that's just normal. A pound a day is in no way sustainable or a reasonable goal.

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

That is normal. You just are not going to continue losing weight every single day. Plus, you may even see some gains. Don't go freaking out over those. Water retention can cause a gain.

Finally, staying at 252-253 since the holidays is not a plateau. Its just a stall. If you keep eating the same, you will lose again.

My weight loss graph for the past 10 months looks a bit like a saw blade, angling downward.

55835802.png

• ndj1979
    Options

ok - if you are losing one pound every two to three days that is about 2.5 pound a week loss on average…what is wrong with that????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - here are a few thoughts…

do you own a food scale? If yes, do you weigh, log measure everything?
    have you readjusted your calorie goal since your initial loss? the amount of calories you need at 256 pounds will be different than when you were 315 pounds….
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that should say 2-3 lbs per week - not losing at that rate anymore isn't a plateau - if you're losing 1 lb or even half a lb a week its good sustainable weight loss - keep it going
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    OP - here are a few thoughts…

do you own a food scale? If yes, do you weigh, log measure everything?
    have you readjusted your calorie goal since your initial loss? the amount of calories you need at 256 pounds will be different than when you were 315 pounds….

That's actually a very good point.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

call me when it's been three months of no weight loss, then we can talk...you're losing at a RAPID speed..and the closer you get to the finish line, the slower you lose. You're doing great...this is forever...it's not a race...be patient with yourself. As long as you are logging every single thing you put in your mouth and are at a caloric deficit, you will be fine.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    A plateau last weeks not a day or two. Also, its actually not healthy to lose at a rate faster than 2lb per WEEK. There are physical consequences to rapid weight loss...like gallstones and possible organ stress/failure. Hormones also have difficulty adjusting during rapid losses, as does skin elasticity. Naturally, very overweight people lose faster than lighter individuals but that doesn't mean you should.

This post smells like a troll. And maybe get your health and fitness advice from somewhere other than Curves. I am not sure what training or qualifications they have to be giving out medical advice...
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    When you are that big, you just need to focus on eating healthy and educate yourself on food, log and throw out that scale !