late night snacks

Options
late at night or in the middle of the night i wake up hungry, sometimes and cant go back to sleep unless i eat something (i know this is so uncommon). i don't want anything high in sugar or carbs. i usually make my own popcorn with a hint of live oil and salt and drink some water, or my favorite hummus and crackers.
i want to know what you guys snack on i the middle of the night

Replies

• jwilliam977
    Options
    Hello,

maybe you should try fruits like : apple banana. Most of the time I do that.

Good luck :)
  • trentangiers
    trentangiers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could try mixing low/non fat cottage cheese with protein powder. To this you can add fruits or nuts.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Well, that stamps out my Talenti suggestion /deep sigh
  • kgarabito
    kgarabito Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you should really avoid the whole fruit thing only because they're high in sugar, so I recommend a handful of almonds, can't go wrong with that !
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Small cup of milk with some cinnamon. <3
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    kgarabito wrote: »
    I think you should really avoid the whole fruit thing only because they're high in sugar, so I recommend a handful of almonds, can't go wrong with that !

Depends on the fruit but why? Is OP diabetic?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There's no need to avoid carbs (especially fruit).

• Marz009
    Marz009 Posts: 26
    Options
    kgarabito wrote: »

Depends on the fruit but why? Is OP diabetic?

I'm not diabetic but Im used to eating low amouts of sugar so any small bit will make it difficult for me to fall asleep
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal?
  • llsemon66
    llsemon66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is this an uncommon problem? I have this same problem all the time. My doctor suggested eating a small bowl of cereal or a yogurt before bedtime. How about string cheese?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Rice cake. I'm only saying this because I had one for the first time in like 10 years the other day and for some reason found them ridiculously good. And by one I mean seven.
  • detroitchuck
    detroitchuck Posts: 8
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In these types of situations I usually just kill a glass of water real quick. It helps suppress the hunger
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually feel hungry because I'm bored at night , I used to eat out of boredom, glass of water or chocolate milk helps me too
  • Marz009
    Options
    llsemon66 wrote: »
    Is this an uncommon problem? I have this same problem all the time. My doctor suggested eating a small bowl of cereal or a yogurt before bedtime. How about string cheese?

It's not uncommon, I was just suprized there weren't more post on this subject. But everyone I know has the same issue. Im sure your doctor is online right now trying to come up with some late night snacks lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ^^you said it was uncommon.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes. If I can't get rid of it by drinking a glass of water then I will get up and have say, a slice of toast with peanut butter. I have found that hardboiled eggs work pretty well to satisfy too but don't always have them handy and I'm too focused on getting back to sleep to cook anything in the middle of the night.
  • Marz009
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    ^^you said it was uncommon.
    my failed attempt at sarcasm
  • luv2fly11
    luv2fly11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi.. You're probably not going to like this, but my advice is to quit eating at night. You will eventually get used to it. Just cut back a little at a time until you only get something to drink. My boyfriend loves to eat at night, so I started picking up his habit. Well..I gained a bunch of weight, and couldn't kick the habit of feeling hungry at night. Once I decided enough was enough, I made a effort not to eat after 7pm. It was harder than I thought, but I did it. I feel so much better going to bed without my body digesting food and then waking up in the middle of the night hungry. I've already lost 18 + pounds.

Good luck!
  • Marz009
    Options
    luv2fly11 wrote: »
    Hi.. You're probably not going to like this, but my advice is to quit eating at night. You will eventually get used to it. Just cut back a little at a time until you only get something to drink. My boyfriend loves to eat at night, so I started picking up his habit. Well..I gained a bunch of weight, and couldn't kick the habit of feeling hungry at night. Once I decided enough was enough, I made a effort not to eat after 7pm. It was harder than I thought, but I did it. I feel so much better going to bed without my body digesting food and then waking up in the middle of the night hungry. I've already lost 18 + pounds.

Good luck!

i know I'm hoping it wont have to come to this but your right. Eventually i will have to stop the mid night snacking. congrats on your progress, keep it up
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't wake up in the middle of the night needing to eat...it could be that you have your calorie goal set too low, or you just need a small smack before bed and you'll make it through the night without waking up.