sometimes I just want to give up!

Options
I started using my fitnesspal about 3 months ago and ive lost a little over 40 pounds, but I gained around 5 pounds over the holidays and I'm having a really hard time getting back into the swing of things, eating better and going to the gym

Replies

• suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Losing weight is such a mental game. If your head isn't in it it's really hard to be successful. I lost 70lbs in 2013 using MFP and have gained back 35 over the last year. I didn't care, I was eating what I wanted and it showed, literally! So about a month ago I decided that when the kids went back to school after Christmas break I would start again. Having a set time to start again has been a motivator (even though I've only been back 2 days!) But because I mentally prepared myself, I am going to do it. You've done a fantastic job losing that 40lbs, so don't do what I have to do and start all over again. Take it day by day and congratulate yourself for each day that you stay on track. You CAN do it, you've already proven that, but you have to get your head back in the game...and that's not that easy to do. Good luck!!!
  • SunshineGoodVibes
    Options
    I'll tell you a little story.

No actually let's get to the point. The fact that you've come so far means there's no way anyone's gonna let you give up now. To lose 40 pounds means you did have some support from family and friends am I correct?

Maybe try talking to them and telling them your current situation. This is only a little bump on the road, your road to a healthier life. Next time you're in a grocery store, take some potatoes and weigh them to 40 pounds. That's how much you've lost. Giving up now wont make sense.

So my answer to this?

2386729-9576892294-Annoy.gif
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i feel you kassie.
    i put back on nearly 10lbs over nov/dec and am finding it really difficult to go back to my healthy habits. my fiance has managed to kick himself back into gear, and i cant seem to catch up.

today is actually the first time ive completed a workout in over a month. it was hard. but i am glad i did it, maybe ill even do it again tomorrow.

take a breath, and take a moment of quiet to think about how you felt about yourself a month ago. how hard is it, really, to get that feeling back?
  • kassiesauntie
    Options
    ok thanks for the laugh sunshine i needed that, i did have a little support when I first started but then everyone im around went back to their old eating habits, its so hard watching them eat whatever they want and I cant!
  • kassiesauntie
    Options
    anewdesign- I went to the gym with my boyfriend a couple nights ago and about died after 30 mintues on the treadmill its awful! but cant wait to feel good about my self just like i did when i started all this a couple months ago
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You've lost 40 lbs!! In 3 months!! That is an amazing accomplishment!! So what if you gained back 5 measly little pounds?! You enjoyed the holidays, you enjoyed part of life. And that's great too!! Yes, you'll have ups and downs. BUT... You also know this works!! You know you can lose those 5 itty bitty pounds plus more!!

******DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP!!******

START WITH SMALL CHANGES AGAIN. You don't feel like going to the gym? Walk around the block. You don't want to eat better? Keep eating what you're eating but stick to your calories. Keep logging. Don't stop. You know you can lose the weight, you just gotta keep moving forward. So what if you gained? Kick those pounds away and keep on losing!! You'll get back to the swing of things in no time... but you got to restart somewhere.

YOU LOST 40 POUNDS!!! <--- Focus on how much you've already lost!!

:flowerforyou:
  • kassiesauntie
    Options
    When I go to pick up my niece and lift her up im like wow shes kinda heavy and then i think to myself shes only 39 pounds Ive lost more than she weighs!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Hi Kassie! First off congratulations on doing what it takes to lose 40 lbs and getting yourself healthier. That is no easy job but, well worth it as i am sure you know. I have been at this for 2.5 years now and have lost about 85 pounds and then put back 15 when i had an injury and consoled myself for MONTHS with cupcakes. I am now trying to get rid of that 15 and there are plenty of days i feel like just giving up. But, because i worked so hard to get where i am i refuse to give up or give in .

This is all on you if you want it bad enough. You can rely on anyone else to make it happen for you. Having a support system is great but, in the end you are the one that has to make all the choices. It all comes down to how badly do you want what you want.

You can do this! You are capable that is for sure. Start back small and make little changes at first if thats what you need to do. Just do!!! You will feel better and once you get the junk back out of your system ( dont bring it back into the house or go out to places where the people you are with can sabatoge your efforts) .

Good luck!!!
  • kassiesauntie
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I just felt so alone! like I had no one to talk to and now I feel like im not so alone anymore