is chili made w turkey still bad for dieting?

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I make chili with minced lamb and lose weight.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the replies. i was just curious because a few people from work have told me that chili isnt a good diet meal... im pretty new to this all so i dont really know what to eat. right now im just trying to stay away from bad carbs and maintain 1200 cals

Good news, there's no such thing as bad carbs either. What matters is eating at a calorie deficit and finding foods you enjoy that leave you satiated. I lost 53 lbs still fitting in things like fast food, pizza, ice cream.

It really is that simple. The hard part is making sure you're being diligent with logging everything. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the replies. i was just curious because a few people from work have told me that chili isnt a good diet meal... im pretty new to this all so i dont really know what to eat. right now im just trying to stay away from bad carbs and maintain 1200 cals

Well, now you know....don't take nutritional advice from your coworkers!

Your question does bring us to one of my favorite things on MFP -- the recipe calculator! I am a mom feeding a family of 5, so I cook big meals, not single portions. Putting my recipes in the calculator and saving them lets me log what I eat really easily.

(And, yeah, my vegan chili is one of my favorite things to have on hand. it's GREAT for a filling, low cal meal with tons of protein. )
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Yeah!

Take advice from random anonymous people on an internet chat board instead!

:smiley:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »

Yeah!

Take advice from random anonymous people on an internet chat board instead!

:smiley:

Oh, shoosh. ;)
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    This is what I see when I click on your username.

iref342hjc78.png

Also, I can't see your first post any more.

I can see your subsequent posts and they say you have 8 posts. Are you new here?

I think there's something screwy going on with MFP.
    I certainly didn't say I was morally superior to anyone and in no way, shape or form did my post indicate that.

I"m gonna wait on this until I hear back from you.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    why would chili ever be bad for dieting? it's cheap, low-cal, easily customizable, and delicious. your coworkers must hear "chili" and think "chili in a bread bowl with cheese on top" if they think it's high in calories. Even restaurant chili (as long as it's just the chili) is great for you. Mind the sodium, though. Canned tomato products can have a lot.

if you want to lower the calories per serving, toss in more veggies to bulk up the portion sizes for next to no calories. i like bell peppers, celery, zucchini, and carrots in my chili. Not for everyone, but great for me!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Please make sure that this is an accurate calorie goal for your height, weight, age, activity level and exercise goal. You can do that by following the steps here.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    All I know is that this thread had made me SO hungry. I spent this past weekend making SO much yummy chicken/kale/veggie soup. A good chili is definitely next on my list.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is what I see when I click on your username.

iref342hjc78.png

Also, I can't see your first post any more.

I can see your subsequent posts and they say you have 8 posts. Are you new here?

I think there's something screwy going on with MFP.
    I certainly didn't say I was morally superior to anyone and in no way, shape or form did my post indicate that.

I"m gonna wait on this until I hear back from you.

not new...returning member and there is always something screwy going on with MFP. I'm not even going to bother telling them to fix my account...they won't do it. I can still track all my stuff (food/water/exercise) so I'm good.

I've had this happening with a few users too, even to the point that I can see they were the last post in the thread but when I go in, their post doesn't exist. It's a hiccup since the 'upgrade'.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When was turkey ever bad for anything? And when was chili a "bad" food, not that I believe in bad foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you're supposed to eat back exercise calories... so 1200 calories is probably too low for you.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Bad carbs? What are bad carbs? This is still demonizing food just like the statement about chili being bad.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I had beef chili for dinner tonight! It covered the tater tots really nicely.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Enter your recipe and log it. Then you will know if it fits your calories. Your co- workers do not know.
    I ate chili made with beef this week and it wasn't that high calorie so I imagine a serving of your turkey chili will be fine.
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    Chilli is great! It is an awesome opportunity to throw in some bell peppers, jalapenos, or other veggies for a great mix. It starts to have issues when loaded with sour cream, mass amounts of cheese or mass amounts of crackers.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I literally eat homemade turkey chili for lunch every day. Super healthy!

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I always make turkey black bean chilli and throw in a bunch of veggies. I enjoy it and it is good for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No chili is bad for dieting if it fits within your caloric allowance.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    not sure what 2 tsp of sugar does for the recipe.

Eliminating that would help.