Protein shake !!! Could it be a meal substitute??

Options
sue567
sue567 Posts: 128
Hi Guys,
I am in a dilemma. I know a few people who have substituted there one meal with a protein shake.

I wanna know is it a good idea? Is there any special brand that I should get. Please suggest some Protein powder and some cool recipes.

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I do use atkins shakes, or advant edge carb control shakes for breakfast, but then i do turn around and have a hardboiled egg or two (depending on their size) as a mid morn snack around 10:30. just can't actaully eat too early.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I often use shakes as a meal substitute. I have used Jillian Michaels whey protein (a little on the yucky side), Super Advanced Whey Protein from Walmart (pretty good), and Shakeology (the best).

My favorite recipe is

1 cup of almond milk
    1/2 to 1 banana (GREAT when you freeze the banana beforehand)
    1 tbsp of all natural pb or PB2
    and ice

Yum, yum, yum.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I always get my protein powders from a health food store. That way I know they are made with only natural ingredients, no GMOs, no artificial sweeteners and they are often organic.

I occasionally add protein powder to a smoothie if I don't feel like making a real breakfast, but I don't substitute them for meals frequently because the protein is absorbed quickly by the body and they don't keep me full for as long as a real meal.
  • MichRam
    MichRam Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with a protein shake as a meal substitute. However I tend to turn mine into more of a smoothie than a pure protein shake. I like hemp seed powder protein - it's high in omega-3s, fiber and protein. You can get it at Trader Joe's, but my favorite is Nutiva brand. I usually add some frozen berries and non-fat milk.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you add a few healthy things to the mix like milk, fruit, nuts or veggies then yes it could. I wouldn't drink protein shakes as a meal alone as a meal replacement though if I could help it.
  • redxmasqueen
    Options
    I have one everyone morning for breakfast. I make mine with skim milk, nonfat vanilla yogurt, frozen strawberries, chocolate Pure Protein whey powder, chocolate PB2, banana and ice. Deelish!!! The Abs Diet has the best protein smoothie recipes.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    if im super busy i use my magic bullet to mix coffee with weider's 90% chocolate protein powder for a yummy mocha as my breakfast
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi there!

I've tried a few vegetarian protein powders recently and I've gotta say the MLO Vegetable Protein is wonderful and so is Garden of Life's Raw Protein Powder. Google each if you wish, there's great ingredients!

And with how filling these protein powders are, it's hard to eat anything with them. I usually have toast or something light with mine.