Homemade Protein Bars

Options
Does anybody make there own protein bars to save some cash? I'm already spending money on other supplements and don't really want to add overpriced protein bars to the list. If anybody has any good recipes to share it would be much appreciated.:happy:

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    my go to is protein power balls from body beast, 1 cups peanut butter 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1 mashed banana and a scoop of whey protein mix together and roll into 12 balls
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Thanks for posting your recipe Chrisparadise.
  • gcarterIT
    gcarterIT Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great question. I'm also interested in home made protein bars. For you guys posting recipes, and if possible, I'd be interested in knowing the macro info (calories, carbs, protein, etc.) for your recipes.

Thanks
  • Melbo89
    Melbo89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process if making my own protein bars. Experimenting with consistency and ingredients. Here's what my latest experiment. Not sure how to add pictures as it would make the nutritional facts way easier. I workout every day and burn 1000 calories so 284 seems like nothing to me when it comes to getting 28g of carbs and 26g of protein, but you can tweak this recipe according to your likes and dislikes, needs, etc. You could get away with using no sugar and just the honey or vice a versa or remove it altogether, although I've never tried that. This is just a base so far that seems to work fine. I don't know how to make a recipe public so I'm including it at the bottom.
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 12.0
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 284
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 8 g 12 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g 12 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 28 mg 9 %
    Sodium 123 mg 5 %
    Potassium 138 mg 4 %
    Total Carbohydrate 28 g 9 %
    Dietary Fiber 3 g 12 %
    Sugars 14 g
    Protein 26 g 51 %
    Vitamin A 1 %
    Vitamin C 2 %
    Calcium 9 %
    Iron 8%

Calories Per Serving
    12 Ingredients Edit Recipe

2.0 cup(s), Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, not fortified, dry (oatmeal, rolled oats)
    8.0 scoop (35g), Whey Isolate Vanilla Creme
    0.75 tbsp, Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    0.25 cup, All Purpose Flour - Unbleached
    0.25 cup, Honey
    1.0 egg, Large Egg
    8.0 Tbsp (32g), Creamy Peanut Butter
    2.0 tsp(s), Vanilla extract
    0.25 cup, packed packed, Sugars - Brown
    0.25 cup, shredded, Nuts - Coconut meat, raw
    2.0 pieces (14g), Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Squares (Net Carbs)
    1.0 cup, Unsweetened applesauce

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    In a large bowl, mix together they ingredients. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, applesauce, peanut butter, and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Grate unsweetened chocolate over the mixture along with the coconut. If you like you can add sesame seeds, flaxseed, etc to the top. Then pat down to make sure it incorporates when the chocolate melts.
    Bake for18 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.
    I like making 12 but you can cut into whatever you like. I hope this helps and gives you a general idea. You can do so much, just experiment and you're bound to find something that works for you.
  • RevGillTC
    RevGillTC Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Interesting ideas... I love Clif bars and have thought about eating them much more frequently, particularly when I get to where I'm trying to add muscle (I'm still trying to lose weight/fat at this time). Does everyone just eat 1 protein bar, or do you eat 2 or 3 at a time? I figured that the price of 1 is less than $2 if I buy in a box, which is not much different than a meal that I cooked. But I'm still interested if there are tasty recipes that one can make for himself and will be able to keep for a couple weeks or a month even (so I don't have to cook these things every day).
  • Nixygirl
    Nixygirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My daughter made these this week and they were (if I don't say so myself) AMAZEBALLS!

About 3 carbs a pop and 80 cals (well, we used coconut flour and less peanut butter).

http://kateshealthycupboard.com/gluten-free-recipes/chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-balls/
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Nixygirl wrote: »
    My daughter made these this week and they were (if I don't say so myself) AMAZEBALLS!

About 3 carbs a pop and 80 cals (well, we used coconut flour and less peanut butter).

http://kateshealthycupboard.com/gluten-free-recipes/chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-balls/

yum and just spied on that website, cooking dough balls!
  • chatnel
    Options
    I been trying to make my own. This week using, oats, pumpkin seeds, caocao nibs, rice malt syrup, coconut oil and pb2. Blend the crap out of the dry ingredients and then mix in wet. Come out to 200 calories each but only need one.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You need this. :-)
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Jumping in to look at later
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am in the process of making my own. I have not decided 100% on the ingredients. But some of the items below might or might not be in it:

Oats
    Pumpkin seeds
    Hemp seeds
    Spirulina crunchies
    Cacao
    Mulberries
    Almonds
    Almond butter
    A plant based protein powder
    Chia seeds
    Goji berries
    Pistachios
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    my go to is protein power balls from body beast, 1 cups peanut butter 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1 mashed banana and a scoop of whey protein mix together and roll into 12 balls

chris, how long do these keep for? Do you store them in the fridge?

• Christine_72
    Options

I just put this recipe into mfp and the calories came out as 1097 cals for ONE serve!! I did put in "serves 12".
    Is this right? :o

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy, so I stick with quest.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Melbo89 wrote: »
    I'm in the process if making my own protein bars. Experimenting with consistency and ingredients. Here's what my latest experiment. Not sure how to add pictures as it would make the nutritional facts way easier. I workout every day and burn 1000 calories so 284 seems like nothing to me when it comes to getting 28g of carbs and 26g of protein, but you can tweak this recipe according to your likes and dislikes, needs, etc. You could get away with using no sugar and just the honey or vice a versa or remove it altogether, although I've never tried that. This is just a base so far that seems to work fine. I don't know how to make a recipe public so I'm including it at the bottom.

This looks like a GREAT recipe! I'd definitely be okay with almost 300 cals if it get me that much protein... I've had a hard time finding a recipe that comes out to more than 15 g. Thanks for sharing, will definitely be trying it!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Bumpety bump bump
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @Chrisparadise579‌ or anyone :D can you let me know if my calculation was correct?? I'd love to try these, but not at 1097 calories each..
  • chatnel
    Options
    @Chrisparadise579‌ or anyone :D can you let me know if my calculation was correct?? I'd love to try these, but not at 1097 calories each..

I would think they would be more like 200 calories each? 150 for pb, 50 oats, 50 protein