Giving Up Artificial Sweeteners

Options
brookedeihl
brookedeihl Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
I'm thinking about just giving up artificial sweeteners & using just regular sugar when I need the sweetness...I think it might be worth getting rid of the nasty side effects....Anyone else ever go this route?

Replies

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use any artificial sweeteners of any kind. I prefer the taste of real sugar and I figure that so long as I only use it in moderation it's going to be fine. I don't really add sugar to anything aside from the occasional cup of coffee, though. But I do avoid diet sodas or "50% less sugar" things. Gross, I'll take the sugar thanks.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Haven't had any for years, they trigger my migraines.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    What nasty side effects are you having?
  • boxergirl_1120
    boxergirl_1120 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do this too. I consume more than I'd care to admit because I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day. I hate the taste of regular sugar in coffee but I do not like coffee without some sweetener. :/
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    What "nasty side effects" are you referring to?
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I gave them up. I only used them in my coffee and oatmeal. Now I go without sugar in my coffee and use some brown sugar in my oatmeal :). My dad who is diabetic still uses them faithfully :)
  • deerskulls
    Options
    I gave them up as well...after prolonged use, I saw that they just weren't any good for my body.
    I had:
    > migraines
    > stomach issues & diarrhoea
    > nausea
    > a nasty taste in my mouth every time I woke up
    > increased cravings after consuming them

After I stopped using them, all these symptoms went away completely. They may be good for other people, but my body can't handle them.
  • brookedeihl
    brookedeihl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input...The side effects I experience are migraines, nausea, bloating, gas....I've never had these issues so it leads me to believe that's the cause..
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have recently cut my Splenda use down from about 3 packets per 24oz of Unsweet tea to 1 packet. Hoping to cut it out totally. I feel it is truly the culprit in my
    Migraine saga!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have recently cut my Splenda use down from about 3 packets per 24oz of Unsweet tea to 1 packet. Hoping to cut it out totally. I feel it is truly the culprit in my
    Migraine saga!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gave them up. I only used them in my coffee and oatmeal. Now I go without sugar in my coffee and use some brown sugar in my oatmeal :). My dad who is diabetic still uses them faithfully :)

How did you do it? I just can't drink coffee without some kind of sweetener - wish I could!

• lrshipley
    lrshipley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very interesting that you are discussing this. I attended a seminar with Roberta Anding from Rice University (she is a dietician) and she had exactly the same advice emily_stew has here: we don't consume enough artificial sweeteners to make a difference and unless you have some annoying side effects, they are not harmful to use. She was very hard on the amount of sugar we consume and very much an advocate to not "drink your calories."

So I think whether you use sugar or sweeteners, it's up to each individual on whether it matters. If you use sugar for drinks like coffee, just cut back a little in other sugars and you should be fine. Good luck and hope you feel better.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Haven't had any for years, they trigger my migraines.

I avoid artificial sweeteners for this reason as well.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    jolt28 wrote: »

How did you do it? I just can't drink coffee without some kind of sweetener - wish I could!

You really get used to it. I used to put tons of sugar in my coffee, but I can't fit the calories in my day anymore so, black it is. It's good!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Giving them up for physical health reasons is correct. Giving them up because of the fearmongering that some of the media put out would be jumping the gun.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Beachlady24
    Beachlady24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband asked me to give up the artificial stuff about a year ago. It was really hard at first because I wanted a soda. I started making fruit smoothies, which my brain saw as fruit so it was "good for you" calories. Then I heard about Stevia. Not the Stevia you get in the store. I either harvest my own stevia leaves or, I get 100% pure organic extract powder - stevia extract in the mail. You only need a tiny amount to sweeten liquids. I use it in my tea, lemonade and hot chocolate. I don't care for it much in solid foods. Sometimes you just need some raw honey or sugar.
    - As for the health benefit, I've heard bad things about all of the manmade pretend sugars, so even if you don't notice any reactions, please be careful.
    -
    You can grow stevia in your yard or as a house plant and pick the leaves when needed, I harvested my plants at the end of fall. Try a leaf first, you will notice it is sweet when you bite it. I put 10-15 leaves in hot liquid to sweeten (for a gallon of tea).

Good Luck!
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I cut back gradually. Once in a blue moon I will have a coffee with sugar; but not very often. If the coffee is very strong or has been sitting for a while, it doesn't taste as good (without sugar), so I usually make fresh coffee each time I want a cup (versus making a pot and drinking it through an afternoon). Maybe try cutting back a little over time and see how you make out :)
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Try honey!!!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!