I have 200 lbs to lose

Options
My big goal is to lose 200 lbs. I have started going to the gym and I'm trying to stay under 1,780 calories a day. (That's what MyFitnessPal recommended.) So far so good. I've actually been under my calories every day. I'm on day 7 of counting calories and today was day 2 at the gym. I'm starting with 3 days a week at the gym and hoping to get to 5 days a week. I'm currently just walking on the treadmill for 45 minutes or so increasing my speed a little each time. I haven't weighed myself since I started but I'm wondering how often I should. Once a week? Once a month? Ideally I would like to lose 10 lbs a month however more would obviously be welcomed. Any tips?

Replies

• FayeTheRockstar
    FayeTheRockstar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd recommend only weighing yourself once a week and try doing it at the same time every time wearing the same thing. I usually wear nothing lol. I find I can get obsessed if I step on that thing too much. Have you taken pictures? Everyone tells me it's good to take lots of pictures so you can see progress that way too :)
  • MoLLiy1985
    MoLLiy1985 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have some pictures I took on New Year's Eve that I'm planning to use as my "before" pictures. I took pictures in jeans and a shirt and also in just my underwear. How often should I be taking pictures? I've always tried to lose weight by going to Weight Watchers but it always comes right back and then some when I stop going so I decided to try a different way. Any advice on a good scale? My starting weight is from the Dr's office a few weeks ago. :(

Hi! I'd recommend only weighing yourself once a week and try doing it at the same time every time wearing the same thing. I usually wear nothing lol. I find I can get obsessed if I step on that thing too much. Have you taken pictures? Everyone tells me it's good to take lots of pictures so you can see progress that way too :)

• Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Only once a week. At first weight will drop pretty drastic id have to assume from clients I've had in the past and a few I just picked up. Being consistent is the key. There's so many variables you have to think about when you weigh yourself, so don't be discouraged if the scales doesn't say what you think it should be. Such as the food you ate or drank prior to weighing yourself and the amount of sodium you had and holding water. Biggest thing is to not just give up, and give it time!
  • Wan2bslim
    Options
    I want to lose 100lbs so I know how you feel!
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Start small. Focusing on the first 10lbs is a good goal and try not to think too much about the rest.

I also did WW and it took me a while to figure out that the MFP calories were probably too little. I'm still figuring it out, but it's different for everyone, so don't get discouraged if you have to play around with it some. There are some newbie posts that talk about this. I have no real expertise, just talked to enough people to know it differs. :-)

Congrats on your first week!
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've lost close to 200 lbs since September 2013. The ticker on my profile says I've lost 184 lbs, but it is probably more than that since I haven't weighed myself since last November. Most people do weigh themselves once a week, but that wouldn't work for me since I need to see more of a loss than 2 or 3 lbs to stay motivated. I don't even own a scale...I just weigh myself at my doctors office. That being said, you need to weigh yourself however often you think will work best for YOU!

Best of luck to you...it sounds like you're off to a GREAT start! :D
  • MoLLiy1985
    MoLLiy1985 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know if I look at the big picture I'll get discouraged and never get there. I decided that I'd aim for 10 lbs then after that another 10 lbs. In a perfect world I'd really like to lose the weight by the end of June 2016 (my daughter's 10th birthday) so about 18 months from now. But I figure it will take longer and I'm ok with that.

Why do you say that MFP calories are too little? I can't seem to eat as many as they are telling me to even after working out.
    Esmama12 wrote: »
    Start small. Focusing on the first 10lbs is a good goal and try not to think too much about the rest.

I also did WW and it took me a while to figure out that the MFP calories were probably too little. I'm still figuring it out, but it's different for everyone, so don't get discouraged if you have to play around with it some. There are some newbie posts that talk about this. I have no real expertise, just talked to enough people to know it differs. :-)

Congrats on your first week!

• maggikal117
    Options
    I'm trying to loose 170 lbs I'm starting small by staying under my calorie intake I don't want to go crazy every time I do I give up I don't want to give up this time so I'm looking at this as life changes. . It takes 21 days to make our break a habit so I'm breaking bad habits and replacing them with good ones 21 days at a time I'm starting by just eating correctly in 21 days I'll worry about staying an exercise regimen and I have the next 6 months planned out with changes to better my life I usually try to do it all at once. . It's never worked for me hopefully this does ... I wish you luck in loosing weight :) we can do it don't worry we just have to stay motivated just keep going and don't give up :)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Be sure to not "over-do it" at the gym. Start easy and work into it. I would hate for you to get so sore that you give up. Seriously...just doing something more than what you used to do for the first couple of weeks would be great...then amp it up from there depending on how you feel.

Your goal right now is to still be a gym regular at the end of February...at the end of February, you will understand what I mean when there are no more lines, crowds, plenty of parking, etc.