How hard is crossfit?

Options
Have anyone taken crossfit before?

Replies

• hollietraylor
    hollietraylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my first class today. Going back Friday. I think it's as hard as you make it. My 9 year old daughter started today too. We both agreed that it's a lot if fun and you don't realize your working out until you feel it later.
  • jjdriscoll
    jjdriscoll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have not, but I do know that there is olympic style lifts that they do in crossfit that are technical and dangerous if not done properly. If you have lower back issues I would be very cautious. I recommend you find a good crossfit gym with trainers that know what their doing.
  • JessMcD86
    Options
    jjdriscoll wrote: »
    I have not, but I do know that there is olympic style lifts that they do in crossfit that are technical and dangerous if not done properly. If you have lower back issues I would be very cautious. I recommend you find a good crossfit gym with trainers that know what their doing.

^^ This, make sure the trainers at the gym are more focused on your form rather than how much you can lift. I do olympic lifts (not a crossfitter) and I spent months on my form before I really started to push for big lifts. But lifting is great!

• deka_lewis
    deka_lewis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Now I'm getting afraid. I start Monday.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cross Fit is tough on the joints unless you have a really good coach. Which is 1/100
  • deka_lewis
    Options
    Now I'm really afraid :(
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Be careful...
    Shoulder injury rates exceed those of Olympic weightlifting.
    Olympic weightlifters lift hundreds of pounds over their heads. They train specifically to perform a specific exercise, and they master the intricacies of the movement. Yet they still sustain injuries because of the complex movements, and because they push their bodies to the limit.

A typical CrossFit session is populated by a variety of different people—athletes, former athletes, moms, dads and everyone between—all performing Snatches and other complex overhead movements. And let’s be honest, not everyone’s technique will ever be perfect, and some people should simply avoid them altogether because of mobility issues or health conditions.

So, when you perform Olympic lifts for high reps, you exacerbate any existing issues, and you’re more likely to sustain an injury, especially to your shoulder.
  • deka_lewis
    Options
    So it's more strength training?
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Its strength and cardiovascular all in one. Find a respectable coach and learn the ropes. If you cant, honestly be cautious about doing it.
  • deka_lewis
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • skhosley
    skhosley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a fused ankle and severe mobility issues in my hips, back and shoulders. I have been crossFitting for two years and have never felt better. Make sure you are up front and Honest with your coach about any health or physical issues as they will modify and work with you. CrossFit is as high intensity as you make it you push yourself so if something feels wrong stop and if the coach sees you doing something wrong they will for sure stop you and work with you. They don't want to see anyone getting hurt. I love both aspects, the WOD's and my oly classes most gyms will have oly classes, take them!!!! I also want to note, stretch and mobilize daily this will help prevent injury. Many people show up and leave but never work on the good stuff that can cause injury in any sport.
    Good luck and most of all have fun!!
  • deka_lewis
    Options
    Thanks skhosley! I will definitely do that.