feeling angry with myself

Options
Two years ago I hit 200 lbs. It scared me so I stayed on changing my eating habits and in about 3 months I lost 28lbs. I was living on my own and working an irregular schedule so I had plenty of time to work out. 2 years later to now, my family has moved in with me and I am a full time teacher. Its been hard staying away from junk food because it's all over my house now with my family living here. It's very hard for me to fight the urge to not have cake or soda etc. Working as a teacher has taken a lot of my time up so I never have time to work out anymore. The holidays were tough and now I'm paying for it. I weighed myself today for the first time in 3 months and once again have hit 200lbs. I'm so angry at myself for allowing myself to get back to that 200 mark. I get frustrated that my weight has always been such a struggle for me.

Replies

• fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Girl, I'm right there with you! I stepped on the scale yesterday to weigh some parcels that needed to go out. I'm weigh more than I ever have in 39 years! And I have created and carried life twice. =( I got pissed. I got sad. And then I got over it and logged into MFP...lol. As long as it makes us mad enough to make a change that's what matters right? =)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    How is logging going? Are you SURE there is no time for exercise? How about running up and down the stairs for 10 minutes a day? Or grabbing some dumb bells? Or even a body weight strength training routine at home?
  • jess4189
    jess4189 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah true. When I lost my weight before I used this app... I just hope I can do it again and actually keep it off for more than a couple years! Haha ugh... The struggle -_-
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Jess there is a world full of us in the same boat.

This time around I am trying to stay away from carbs but I can still gain weight on only Fats and Protein but there are not sugar crashes and mental fog like when on a high carb junk food diet.

It can take a while to figure out what works for you so the advice of others may even be counter productive. Working out is not very helpfully to lose weight but it does make one stronger if it is not overdone.

I now walk some and leave off any thing with added sugar and/or grains. I just do not pig out on Fats and Protein as I did on Carbs but I can not eat a jar of natural peanut and butter (peanuts and salt only) every day and still lose weight. :)
  • jess4189
    jess4189 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @goldthistime‌ I'm a first year teacher so I am at work from 8am till about 6pm. Go home eat dinner work some more then go to bed. I'm really trying to cut my work time down but it's hard with this being my first year. I do teach in 5 different rooms so I am constantly walking around in my classroom and standing. I do always take the stairs at work too. It's just not nearly as much as I used to workout when I lost all the weight before.
  • cmdoiy
    cmdoiy Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Lost 34 pounds then gained it all back. But I've been on track now for almost a week, and I feel better already.

I'm a teacher, too. I know how hard it is to make time for yourself, but you need to do it. I force myself to leave school at 3:30 and stop at the gym before picking my son up from preschool.

Send me a friend request if you like.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to exercise, either. Very few people HAVE the time, that's why we have to MAKE the time. I get up at 4am on school days to make sure I get a work out in, because I know I'll be lazy and make excuses not to if I don't do it first thing in the morning. I'm a mom, pregnant with #2, full-time student, work til 8pm, and I still make the gym happen, because I decided it was a priority. If I can do it, so can you! :D
  • KimAnningson
    Options
    Perhaps you need to set some limits with your family and ask them not to leave junk food around the house where it will be a temptation for you. Perhaps they can also help you with some meal planning and grocery shopping. I have found that having tasty yet nutrious food in the house makes me less likely to eat junk/fast food. Time is always limited so just remember it takes a lot less time to prepare something healthy than it does to work off the calories of junk food. Hope that helps. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I've also felt that way before. It sucks. But the good news is that your here again now and since you've already lost the weight once, you know how to do it again! :-)
    I started my journey at @212 lbs. I weigh 135 lbs now. I work full time, then often work another part time night job on weekends. I'm a mom, wife, and have a busy schedule too. But I made this lifestyle a priority. I've got it set in my mind that this is what I need to do in order to better myself. You can do it too!
    No excuses, just do it :-)
  • bethouiseevans
    bethouiseevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hit 200lbs again at the end of last year! Eeeeep! I went from 190lbs to 145lbs then promised my self id never go above 150lbs. then at 151lbs though I'll never go above 160lbs etc etc all the way back up. So angry at myself! My boyfriend is also forever bringing crisps and junk into the house and going via mcdonalds when we're out. But tomorrow is another day!
    My grandad lost 40lbs at the age of 75 and his diabetes disappeared and he's halved his pain meds for arthritis! Its never too late to loose weight and reap the benefits! I know its a kinda different situation but if he can do it then we definitely can!
  • bethouiseevans
    bethouiseevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try setting some ground rules - you an have junk food if you leave it in your room? Or one specific cupboard maybe? Also i cannot recommend the 'hairy dieters' cook books enough! (by two chefs called the hairy bikers haha) they do regular food but take loads of fat and calories out and its still delicious and doesnt feel like diet food either!
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @Alloutof_bubblegum What exercise are you doing while pregnant? We are trying for our second and I'm worried about putting weight on so want to exercise all the way through but the type of exercise I do I'm not sure is suitable when pregnant - I do mainly Jillian Michaels work out DVD's so there's a lot of core, crunches and stuff! Just looking for recommendations really! Getting to the gym is hard because I exercise when my little boy is in bed and I can't always go out as my husband works away alot!
  • Scoobytooby
    Scoobytooby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep same here - thank goodness Christmas is only once a year. The 10lbs I lost last year are all back now. It wasn't much of a loss considering I need to loose about 58lbs(!) But I was finally going in the right direction. Have started back with the calorie counting and wearing my pedometer. I have found it's the only way for me to loose weight. Only started Monday so no movement yet, but I am ever hopeful. I have found the Hairy Dieters books, Ellie Krieger, the Care2 & MindBodyGreen websites useful too. I'm routing for you. Best wishes xxx
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Cant say im a fan of getting angry at yourself because its not far from starting to beat up on yourself. If you are angry then maybe channel it into something useful. You seem to have started identifying some of the reasons that got you where you dont want to be, so dont let them become excuses. How are you going to deal with:

1. Food lying around the house as well as your cake and soda urges.= Maybe commit so you are focused on what you want to do, understand how it affects your diet, moderate or find alternatives. Commit to wanting to lose weight more than eating cake. Its a choice.
    2. Weight sneaking up on you= Maybe weigh more frequently and log daily.
    3. No time to exercise= you have to find a way to make time, which probably means getting better organised. If its important enough you will find the time.