Fiber one products...YIKES!

Options
Ok, fiber is a great addition to any diet. Helps keep us full longer...but WHAT the HECK is up with specifically "Fiber one" products?? I've never come across so many people who've experienced...shall we say...gastronomical distress like that! I thought the bars were bad...(and they are...but dangit...so yummy and low on cals..sheesh!) But the bread nearly KILLED me! I made ONE sandwhich with the stuff...and I kid you not...my BACK was in pain! Please, tell me this is a widespread epidemic and not just me and my friends/family!

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you posted this just now - I'm having a bit of tummy discomfort - and today was the first time in a LONG time that I've eaten a Fiber One bar. hmmm (of course it could be TOM but it seems a little coincidental).
  • flwrgrl11
    flwrgrl11 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have had the same exact problem as you! Kashi products are also the same, if not worse! I guess there give and take when we are trying to be healthy
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    LOL. Yup. One piece of advice -- ease into any increase in fiber. What you experienced happens to most of us if we're transitioning from a low fiber diet to one that's high in fiber, in a short period of time.

Keep it up ... it'll get better and you'll suffer no ill effects. :) For another high fiber (and high protein product) that I love, love, love, try Nature's Grain Low Carb Bagels. They rock ... taste-wise and nutritionally speaking. But again ... ease into them of they'll kick you right in the gut!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, fiber is a great addition to any diet. Helps keep us full longer...but WHAT the HECK is up with specifically "Fiber one" products?? I've never come across so many people who've experienced...shall we say...gastronomical distress like that! I thought the bars were bad...(and they are...but dangit...so yummy and low on cals..sheesh!) But the bread nearly KILLED me! I made ONE sandwhich with the stuff...and I kid you not...my BACK was in pain! Please, tell me this is a widespread epidemic and not just me and my friends/family!

It is a over processed food, full of crap our bodies don't even recognize.

We don't need as much fiber as they try to tell us for our bodies to function properly.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I had that problem at first when I started eating fiber one and kashi products. Thankfully my body got used to them. For bars I prefer the south beach diet ones. They don't give me tummy trouble and are REALLY good. Especially the s'mores one!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems with Kashi products. I especially love their trail mix bars and crackers. Well, ok, I love pretty much everything of theirs that I've tried! I guess if you're used to having a lot of fiber/whole grains/natural products in your diet you don't have the same side effects.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    my body is used to it so nope never had a problem with it , but i also eased into my fiber intake so i dunno
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    Yea, I think it is probably the sudden increase in fiber. Let's face it, most people, Americans for sure, eat a lot of over-processed crap with little to no real fiber in it. I still eat some processed foods, but I now pay attention to how much fiber is in it, ie, I do NOT eat mac and cheese anymore, at all, unless I am going to make it from scratch with whole wheat pasta. I haven't gotten that courageous yet >.>
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    I know that fiber one bars do that to me if I have more than one in a few days. But I never thought of it being the same for Kashi bars. I have been eating those lately and my stomach has been a wreck. I thought that maybe it was stress from trying to get homework, work, excercise, healthy eating, cleaning, and packing done this week so I can have a fun weekend. But maybe the Kashi bars arent helping.
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem with their things. I learned to eat a little at a time, and drink a ton of water with it. Ease into it and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • xjonesie
    xjonesie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with easing into the increased fiber... I made the mistake of adding a 1/4 cup of Grapenuts and 1/4 cup of Fiber One to my morning yogurt a couple of years ago and I thought I was going to die. I kinda misunderstood my mother-in-law who recommeded a 1/4 cup of both (total).

*shudders from the mere memory of that day*
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It may not be the added fiber...but the maltodextrin, an additive that is used in a lot of protein bars as a sweetener. Personally, I have had some tummy issues when eating foods with maltodextrin in them, although I have no problem with Fiber One bars.

From "wikipedia" (probably not the best source, but the quickest one I found)

"Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide that is used as a food additive. It is produced from starch by partial hydrolysis and is usually found as a creamy-white hygroscopic spraydried powder. Maltodextrin is easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose, and might be either moderately sweet or almost flavorless. It is commonly used for the production of natural sodas and candy. It can also be found as an ingredient in some dry soup mixes."
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    Haha!! I bought a box of the Fiber One bars when they first came out. Oh my GOD. Nothing makes you fart like a Fiber One bar. I actually thought they were pretty tasty, but sorry.. I'll just take my fiber in small portions rather than all at once!
  • vickit2013
    vickit2013 Posts: 3
    Options
    If you are eating a high fiber diet- especially if it is new for you - start slow, try to eat most of your fiber in vegetables & fruits if possible & drink water (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!) --- Fiber can stop you up as well as make you go -- need lots of water to keep everything moving. And, speaking of moving, keep moving to get it all moving in the right direction--- basics of nursing school --- Fiber, hydrate & ambulation --- good advice for all of us.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I eat a Fiber One Brownie almost everyday and I haven't had a problem thankfully...sorry you're hurting! :frown:
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    I eat a Fiber One Brownie almost everyday and I haven't had a problem thankfully...sorry you're hurting! :frown:

LOVE those things! I got a big box at Costco!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    LOL. Yup. One piece of advice -- ease into any increase in fiber. What you experienced happens to most of us if we're transitioning from a low fiber diet to one that's high in fiber, in a short period of time.

Keep it up ... it'll get better and you'll suffer no ill effects. :) For another high fiber (and high protein product) that I love, love, love, try Nature's Grain Low Carb Bagels. They rock ... taste-wise and nutritionally speaking. But again ... ease into them of they'll kick you right in the gut!

those are my favorite bagels too!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    The Fiber One bars it's most likely the Chicory Root that causes the issue. It doesn't effect everyone but there are a lot of us it does. There's even a blog where people post their stories about the effects on them (and those around them!) I eat all kinds of fiber and those things still do a number on me!