Will Wheat Make Me Fat?

Options
PaiPug
PaiPug Posts: 42 Member
I've been eating wheat free for a while now. Processed or not, I didn't eat it hardly ever. But now I'd like to include it back into my diet because I think the Good Lord intended us to eat it. Aside from that, cracked wheat cereal has like 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber in 1/4 cup (140 calories). Superfood status. I talked to a personal trainer friend of mine who said that no matter what it will make me fat. Is that true? Is wheat really that unhealthy that even in its most raw form it's gonna be inflammatory?

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Nope. Eating above your maintenance calories will make you fat, not wheat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Nope. Eating above your maintenance calories will make you fat, not wheat.

this …

eat all the wheat you want, just maintain your deficit...
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Unless you are allergic to wheat or gluten intolerant than there is no reason to avoid wheat.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I would not take nutrition advice from this friend. Eat that cereal. (Just not 15+ bowls a day. That will make you fat.)
  • PaiPug
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Unless you are allergic to wheat or gluten intolerant than there is no reason to avoid wheat.
    How will you know if you're allergic?

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Wheat has been eaten by humans for over 9,000 years. No it is not unhealthy and no it will not make you fat unless you eat too much of it...like anything else. Best to eat organic whole grain bread.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Test from a doctor's office. Don't worry, you aren't. Even if you were it wouldn't make you fat, it would just cause digestive issues.
  • PaiPug
    Options
    Here's the deal. I hear a lot of people say it's an inflammatory (even in raw/organic forms). That's not healthy. Is cracked wheat cereal an inflammatory?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I hear a lot of people say it's an inflammatory (even in raw/organic forms). That's not healthy. Is cracked wheat cereal an inflammatory?

Only if you have celiac disease. You don't.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Test from a doctor's office. Don't worry, you aren't. Even if you were it wouldn't make you fat, it would just cause digestive issues.

+1

I saw someone on here say her teeth were breaking and it turned out the root cause was difficulties processing wheat/celiac disease. I think most people discover their allergies because they have symptoms that do not include weight gain.

ETA: I have no idea how I would have lost weight without wheat products. They're good and filling, especially on days when you're low on carbohydrates.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No, it won't make you fat. Wheat has been a part of the human diet for a LONG time. Unless you have a specific disease, Celiac, you have no medical reason to avoid it.
  • PaiPug
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

+1

I saw someone on here say her teeth were breaking and it turned out the root cause was difficulties processing wheat/celiac disease. I think most people discover their allergies because they have symptoms that do not include weight gain.

Thanks, both! Puts my mind to rest.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've been eating wheat free for a while now. Processed or not, I didn't eat it hardly ever. But now I'd like to include it back into my diet because I think the Good Lord intended us to eat it. Aside from that, cracked wheat cereal has like 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber in 1/4 cup (140 calories). Superfood status. I talked to a personal trainer friend of mine who said that no matter what it will make me fat. Is that true? Is wheat really that unhealthy that even in its most raw form it's gonna be inflammatory?

giphy.gif
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes wheat will make you fat, but so will lettuce. if you eat more calories than you burn then you put on weight whether these calories come from wheat, chocolate, friend chicken or even lettuce.

If you want eat then eat wheat but just work it in to your daily calorie goals.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Is cracked wheat cereal an inflammatory?

I have never heard this before

• PaiPug
    Options

giphy.gif

Hilarious. True comedienne. Please do let us all know of your next standup show.
  • PaiPug
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I don't have any of the symptoms of celiac disease so I won't bother with a $3k allergy test. I'll stick to my cereal!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m30u3zrtXE1r03f1ao1_500.gif
  • GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on here say her teeth were breaking and it turned out the root cause was difficulties processing wheat/celiac disease. I think most people discover their allergies because they have symptoms that do not include weight gain..

This!

I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease at the start of the year.

Symptoms included hairloss, inability to gain weight, tooth decay, skin problems, digestive issues, abdominal pain... If you don't have one or a combination of these, it's EXTREMELY unlikely there is any reason for you to cut it out your diet.

Don't unnecessarily deprive yourself of wheat/gluten. I could only dream of still being able to eat gluten-y bread!

As someone else said, eating over your calories will make you fat, not one specific food or food group.