Post workout food suggestions please!

Options
I love getting in a great workout but hate when I feel like a ravenous beast afterwards. All I want to do is eat all the things! Looking for low-cal, healthy, post workout snack ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    A banana or two is my go-to snack after hitting the gym.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Something protein based works well for me.
    If I have a light meal like banana or PB on toast before my workout, I'm not as famished.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Protein bar or shake and some fruit . Always good to get in protein right after working out
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Berries and granola. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I work out before lunch and before dinner so just typical food for me. For today it was 6oz of chicken, roasted asparagus and bell peppers, and quinoa.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I work out before lunch and before dinner so just typical food for me. For today it was 6oz of chicken, roasted asparagus and bell peppers, and quinoa.

Brb......coming over for dinner.

That was lunch (leftovers) ;)

Dinner is still up in the air but it will probably be pizza.

• sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I like a protein shake. I get the Shaklee Soy Protein mix (the cocoa one is delicious) and shake it up with a cup of almond milk! It's only 150 calories. If I'm really starved, I'll eat a banana as well.
  • LysaK1980
    LysaK1980 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes with some kind of carb to go with it. I may feel shaky sometimes but actually rarely hungry after workout which kind of bites but on rest days I find my hunger up rebuilding muscles? Many use nuts or PB with fruit that I know too
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I usually workout first thing in the morning so I just eat breakfast afterwards - a breakfast sandwich of some kind and some yogurt.
  • patches212
    patches212 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Banana dipped in hemp hearts. (as long as you actually like bananas.)
    The sugar in bananas will help replenish your glucose levels and the hemp hearts give you your protein. These two are so easy to digest your tummy and muscles will LOVE you!

After any sort of hard or HIIT workout this saves my life until I can have my proper meal.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I typically work out in the evenings right before dinner time, so I often will have fish, either salmon or tilapia and roasted veggies. Brown rice or quinoa or couscous if you like them.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I go to the gym late in the evenings to avoid the crowds/wait times. I usually toss things in an electric pressure cooker and start it before I leave for the gym and when I get home dinner is waiting for me. It's usually rice with some meat and steamed vegetables, I mix up what sort of vegetables/spices to keep it more interesting.

When I don't have time to start dinner before or if I go straight there instead of going home first. I use a rice cooker when I get home and have quinoa, lentils, vegetables with a shorter cook time like broccoli and fish (scallops, shrimp, if I make salmon I stick it in the oven for 15 mins instead). Basically things that take 15 minutes to cook together.

I also make things with a longer cook time on the weekends and freeze individual portions and reheat them for dinner. I just like to have things that are quick to prepare so I'm not tempted to just eat snacks or takeout for dinner.

Since you work out earlier in the day and want more of a snack, then try a piece of fruit (apple, pear, banana, figs) with nut butter and chia seeds. It hits all your macros and is filling. I like Kind bars, some people swear by Quest bars. Perhaps some greek yogurt with fruit, or a piece of cheese and a handful of nuts.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    patches212 wrote: »
    Banana dipped in hemp hearts. (as long as you actually like bananas.)
    The sugar in bananas will help replenish your glucose levels and the hemp hearts give you your protein. These two are so easy to digest your tummy and muscles will LOVE you!

After any sort of hard or HIIT workout this saves my life until I can have my proper meal.

Do you mean muslce glycogen stores?? If you were to view fructose as a sole food source and outside the context of a normal diet, it is a horrible carb source to restore muscle glycogen. Fructose is used by very few tissues and cells directly, and instead is primarily metabolized in the liver. Obviously in a normal diet fructose isn't the sole carb source, and muscle glycogen is restored over the normal course of feedings.

OP, why not make it so you are eating the majority of your calories after you workout? If this is when you are most hungry, it makes sense to have your largest meal then.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Your next meal. Banana with nut butter. Celery with nut butter and raisins.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I usually have dinner after my workout. If I train late, I'll have a snicker.