Low carb high fat meal ideas.....

Options
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm trying to cut back on the carbs to see what effect it has on weight loss/energy etc. However, I'm in need of some ideas for meals. I just started this a few days ago and have been sticking to eggs, bacon, turkey, nuts, avocado, and salads... My go-to breakfasts were always oatmeal, yogurt and granola, and toast with peanut butter but I'm kind of at a loss as of what to eat now! Ideas would be great and I'd love to hear what anyone else's experience on a lchf diet are like!

Replies

• Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for about a week. The pros of this diet: You aren't hungry between meals and I like the meals that are low carb (pinterest has a lot of ideas). I don't need to lose much weight, but I have lost 5 pounds in this amount of time (probably water weight - no need to buy a pinata yet). The cons: I used to run 5 miles about 5 times a week, and now I only run 2 or 3. I don't have the same type of energy for my workouts. As time goes by, I think I will have more energy. Also, (I'm about to get gross y'all) Diarrhea. Yea...and a little constipation. That comes from less fiber in your diet. It's been suggested to take fiber supplements. So far I love this diet. I plan to stay on it until I reach my goal weight. I set my macros to 5% carbs, 65%fat, and 30%protein. I eat lots of eggs, bacon, sausage, chicken, whipping cream, butter, fish, and ribs.......and for the carbs: broccoli, green salads with ranch, and cabbage.....and did I mention bacon earlier...yea...I love that!
  • clareag
    clareag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i make home made burgers and always go for the full fat version of meat no low fat and I try to have Kale with most of my evening meals. I no longer have any sugar or milk in my diet I just have coconut oil in my coffee.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am doing this and have for about 3 months. Some of my favorites, chicken breast and eat a little sour cream with it. You can use plenty of packet spices for the sour cream but always watch for sodium and sugar.
    Last night I had swordfish with one pat of butter and squeezed some lemon on it. Then steamed some veggies and sprinkled cheese on it. There are plenty of small ways to add a little fat to a meal, like adding a spoon of mayo to a bowl with diced up tomatoes, 2 strips of bacon and lettuce (BLT salad).
    There are some great Atkin's forums with awesome ideas, even using eggs as a crust with pepperoni for a mock pizza.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Have steak with a spinach and sliced almond salad.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This diet is such a new concept to me, I'm so used to avoiding butter/oils and passing on the cheese/mayo when possible, it feels great to be able to eat all the fats I want! I'm definitely feeling unusually tired today though, not sure if it's because of the lack of carbs or what. Also, I've been hearing a lot about coconut oil in coffee so I tried that out this morning along with some butter and about a half hour later I was feeling extremely nauseous. I think it's just going to take some getting used to. I've also never liked cooking meat (raw meat kind of grosses me out) so that's also going to take some getting used to lol.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There's always fish....
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to reduce carbs and increase fat, a little more slowly. Maybe don't cut so much at the beginning and build up to your desired macros. If you burn a lot of calories you can probably use the carbs. There are lots of veggies that are pretty low in carbs that you can try. Baked veggies are really good. You can always slather them with butter for the fat.
    If you don't like to cook raw meat, where do you get your meat? Just curious. :)
  • jahuntley27
    Options
    I've tried ketogenic diets that are high in sodium and saturated fat (bacon, sausage, butter, cheese) and those that are low (grass fed beef, avocado, nuts and nut butters, EVOO, a lot of whole eggs, salmon..etc.) and have found the results are better and I feel much more healthy when I keep the saturated fats and sodium lower.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I belong to some wonderful groups on Fb ....you can friend me and i'll add you if you wish. Great support :)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    WOW! I do have to say I am surprised of this coming from you!
    Being a long time low carber, it took so much time to come up with a variety. At first for lunches I would just eat grilled chicken (stayed away from beef coming from the thinking fat is bad) or rolled up lettuce leaves with sandwich fixings. Boring.
    A word on the bulletproof coffee...coconut oil can really make you nauseous and if you have way too much, make you need to sprint for the bathroom. I only eat about 2 tablespoons throughout the day. I have maybe 3/4 tablespoon with my coffee. I also don't add the butter...I didn't care for it. Did you eat after drinking it? Usually eating a little something helps.
    I don't know your exact macro goals and how low carb you're thinking, but what about hard boiled eggs, omelettes with whatever veggies and different cheeses, or even leftovers for breakfast? If you like a smoothie or protein shake, find the lowest sugar content you can find and add in some heavy cream (I have yet to find a protein powder in stores that fit a lchf diet without adding coconut oil or cream)? One of my favorite websites for recipes is Ibreatheimhungry.com for recipe ideas or Pinterest. Do you have a crock pot? If you don't like cooking raw meat, what about just throwing it in the crockpot? Soups, chili, roasts, chicken recipes...all kinds of things! For lunches/dinner I like making taco salads, fajitas, grilled chicken (add cheese to up the fat if need be), bunless burgers, bacon wrapped chicken, ham steaks, and spaghetti squash. Side salads or roasted veggies for sides.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Beef. It's what's for dinner. ;)

Breakfast: Eggs fried in butter.

Lunch: A cheeseburger sans bun.

Dinner: Tacos without shells.

:)

• SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was on a LCHF diet and then got off, but discovered I feel so much better following LC.

For breakfast I generally have turkey bacon and egg muffins. But often I would eat "lunch or dinner" items for breakfast.

Lunch/Dinner - (some of my favorites) hamburgers on lettuce, tacos using lettuce cups, italian sausage w/ peppers and onions, steak/chicken stir-fry, spaghetti squash w meatballs & marinara or chicken and alfredo, spinach and ricotta stuffed chicken, turkey loaf, meatloaf, add in 1 or 3 veggies and you are good.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Personally my breakfast tends to consist of egg & avocado in omlette form or scrambled, probably with some cheese - definitely tabasco and maybe spinach.
    -
    Lunch can be a massive bowl of salad leaves, with again maybe avocado, smoked salmon or pre-cooked chicken - tons of seeds of all kinds, mayonnaise - perhaps mixed with avocado oil, and some olives, raw bell pepper.
    -
    Dinner, this varies so much but different stews and curries, casseroles (use your imagination) stirfrys. I tend to just wing it, some protein, a little fat & lots of complex veggies.

Those are my keto days and they tend to net 10g-30g carbs, but up to 100g fat and 70-100g protein.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not an advocate of the paleo diet at all but for days or meals where I am trying to eat to a lower carbohydrate level my favourite blog is paleomg.com... Juli is awesome and has so many delicious recipes which should suit your needs.
    I HIGHLY recommend the buffalo chicken pasta.

My go to low carb breakfast is two whole eggs scrambled with stevia, cinnamon, a bit of banana and some peanut/almond butter. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! This diet is such a new concept to me, I'm so used to avoiding butter/oils and passing on the cheese/mayo when possible, it feels great to be able to eat all the fats I want! I'm definitely feeling unusually tired today though, not sure if it's because of the lack of carbs or what. Also, I've been hearing a lot about coconut oil in coffee so I tried that out this morning along with some butter and about a half hour later I was feeling extremely nauseous. I think it's just going to take some getting used to. I've also never liked cooking meat (raw meat kind of grosses me out) so that's also going to take some getting used to lol.

I just started eating this way this week, as there have been clinical studies that showed that it had a positive effect on folks with high cholesterol. From what I understand, you're going to be tired for the first few days, until your body adjusts. There's also talk of the "keto flu" which is apparently normal.

And as far as the butter in the coffee/tea? Two things that I've learned so far are to cut back a bit and to make sure it's mixed really well. The day I put two tbsp in, I was queasy. It was more tolerable when I either mixed it with coconut oil or when I simply cut back.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have moved to 35 carb, 40 fat and 25 protein since the summer and it's worked well. Also kept sugar to fruit and natural sources where possible.

Typical meals:

200g Fruit and 100g Full Fat Greek yoghurt for breakfast
    Chicken breast on brown bread with an avocado for lunch
    Fresh fish with egg noodles and vegetables for dinner
    50:50 potato/squash gratin or mash as a side dish
    Fish stew made with saffron, tomato and loads of veg
    3 egg Omelette with 50g cheese and 50g ham plus some peas or broccoli on the side
    Wholemeal porridge made with milk, served with fruit and a bit of cream on top

• pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cauliflower cheese! I make mine with cauliflower (obviously!!) but also broccoli and nice crispy bacon pieces. Make the cheese sauce with butter and full fat milk, delicious. its actually what im making for my family tonight, but I will being having a very small portion with a little bit of pasta.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Typical day for me:
    Breakfast- 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream. I usually don't eat any food because I'm never hungry that early, but sometimes I'll have eggs and turkey sausage patties mid morning.

Lunch- a big salad with 4oz chicken breast or a can of tuna on top

Dinner- a good sized portion of meat (8-16oz) and a good sized portion of veggies (8-16oz). for the veggies- I usually make 1 veggie, sautéed in olive or coconut oil with spices. Cauliflower is a good one, high fiber. Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, squash. Pretty much anything but potatoes.

Last night's dinner was 8oz of pork chops and sautéed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, sugar snap peas, and carrots.

This usually puts me under 50g of carbs for the day when you subtract out the fiber to get your net carbs. Around 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs.

It's pretty easy to follow this- you basically reduce/eliminate white food- rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. If you are a pizza lover, it will be hard, but if you can eat a meal that is meat and veggies, then you'll be fine.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for about a week. The pros of this diet: You aren't hungry between meals and I like the meals that are low carb (pinterest has a lot of ideas). I don't need to lose much weight, but I have lost 5 pounds in this amount of time (probably water weight - no need to buy a pinata yet). The cons: I used to run 5 miles about 5 times a week, and now I only run 2 or 3. I don't have the same type of energy for my workouts. As time goes by, I think I will have more energy. Also, (I'm about to get gross y'all) Diarrhea. Yea...and a little constipation. That comes from less fiber in your diet. It's been suggested to take fiber supplements. So far I love this diet. I plan to stay on it until I reach my goal weight. I set my macros to 5% carbs, 65%fat, and 30%protein. I eat lots of eggs, bacon, sausage, chicken, whipping cream, butter, fish, and ribs.......and for the carbs: broccoli, green salads with ranch, and cabbage.....and did I mention bacon earlier...yea...I love that!

That will change. The nice thing about LCHF is that you aren't relying on carbs and glucose to get you through your runs, so you aren't going to hit a wall where you need to refuel (you're carrying all your fuel with you).

I go closer to 50g net carbs because its important to me to get my daily fiber. Avocado is good for this. But I also have fewer and smaller BMs and not as well formed while eating this way. To me this means that more of my food is being used as energy and less of it is "waste" compared to eating high carb.

200 Low Carb High Fat recipes by Dana Carpender. Get it. you will love it.
  • stanb888
    Options
    I've been keto for 14 months. Over time you will care less and less about food in general and just eat what's convenient. At least this has been my experience.

P.S. your just adapting so be mindful to take your electrolytes.