Do you ever feel like the food you eat bothers others?

Options
Do you ever feel like the smell of the foods you eat bothers others? I know that's kind of an odd question, but I work in a vehicle with another person. I LOVE Greek yogurt but feel like it its a "smelly" food. Just wondering if other people worry about offending another persons sense of smell or if you just say screw it.

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt isn't a smelly food. The only things that offends my sense of smell are seafood, egg salad, or really spicy curry dishes.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I upset others when I eat bacon every morning and don't share. :)

But I know the broccoli that I constantly steam at work bothers some. But I honestly don't care. Some of their foods doesn't smell very appettizing either...

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No. I can honestly say that I have never worried about whether someone was bothered by the smell of my food.

If I did worry, I'd say, "Does the smell of this bug you?"

Except for when I was young and lived in an apartment building where different ethnic foods seeped into the hall and mixed together to just smell weirdly bad, I cannot remember being bothered by the smell of any food. I don't like the smell of fish a lot, but it never really bothered me.
  • KaliH310
    KaliH310 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not reheating fish in a work spaces mircowave I don't care. It baffles me why people think it's okay to do that...the smell doesn't leave for weeks! :-D
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Smells of a lot of foods bother me right now, but it's not really my place to tell other people what to eat. If somebody asked me if it bothered me, I'd be up front about it, though. The worst smell to me right now is Indian food.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Has your yogurt expired? Because expired Greek yogurt smells quite foul. Otherwise I don't notice much of an odor even if I put my nose right in the tub of it.

I've never worried about annoying others with food smell of whatever I'm eating, and I think the only time I've ever been annoyed by someone else's food was this girl who ate a coconut everyday and made a huge mess all over the breakroom table and a huge ruckus trying to open and eat that stupid fruit Every day. She brought an unopened coconut to work and fought with it for her whole lunch break every, frickin', day. I'd wish she had eaten curry every day instead.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had a boss who was Jewish and observed kosher at home. . .he always got this look when I ate shrimp or lobster around him. He was used to people eating pork at work meetings, but bottom feeding ocean critters weirded him out. I did try to abstain from the foods, just to put him at ease. Other than that, I've never really thought about it. Our house did smell like a curry explosion when we moved in, because the previous owners (who'd built the house 25 years ago) were Indian, but that was a fairly innocuous odor that a little Orange Glo wiped out.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am the master of the stinky office lunch. Fish, sauerkraut, brussel sprouts, and other stuff with cabbage in it. "What smells like farts?" is a very common question in the break room.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    The only time I worry is if I'm eating seafood. We have a lunch room here, so as long as the food is in there it shouldn't bother anyone.

What does bother me is my coworker's nasty reheated fast food that she insists on eating at her desk.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do you ever feel like the smell of the foods you eat bothers others? I know that's kind of an odd question, but I work in a vehicle with another person. I LOVE Greek yogurt but feel like it its a "smelly" food. Just wondering if other people worry about offending another persons sense of smell or if you just say screw it.

I don't worry about it because the people I eat around are either not sensitive or not shy about speaking up if something bothers them.
    If I did worry about it, then I would just ask the person if there were certain foods they didn't like the smell of.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I once ate a tin of Tuna on a flight between BC and Ontario, because that's the kind of thing I'd do...............
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Best are boiled egg sandwiches, sat in a sealed container all morning then unleashed at dinner time!.
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat at my desk but I always wait until my co workers are at lunch so I don't offend them lol!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    This reminds of when a co-worker brought me some kim-chee that his wife had made to try and several people in the building started reporting a sewer leak. LOL
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Other than the kids complaining when I roast Brussels sprouts, I can't say I've ever noticed offending anyone.

I have more issues with family having trouble dealing with my celiac disease and me being vigilant about it (them not understanding the need to be so and the like).
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My kids are starting to hate the sight of chicken
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Only when the smell comes out the other end.

Other than that? No. I like what I like, so I eat it. You like what you like, so eat what you like.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Only when the smell comes out the other end.

Other than that? No. I like what I like, so I eat it. You like what you like, so eat what you like.

I had something else planned to say... but I read the comment from above and started laughing my butt off!

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Not currently. But in the past, heck yeah. Everyone seemed to have a problem with any heated leftovers. I think that is a bit oversensitive but it happens.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My house smells like fish most days after lunch. I'm glad I don't currently work or I would be pissing people off in the office.