Too Few Calories For the Day

Options
I've eaten supper for the day, but am only at 891 calories. Additionally, I walked a couple of miles at lunch time today. I know I "should" eat more to get to my calorie base, but I'm not hungry and the thought of having to figure out what else I could eat isn't appealing. What do you recommend?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just one day I wouldn't worry about it. If it becomes a habit then you'll want to make better choices like more calorie dense foods during the day. Or just grab a jar of peanut butter and have a couple spoonfuls to get you up a bit today.
  • GTJack17
    Options
    I like the peanut butter idea. Thanks!
  • tomcartieri209
    Options
    I'm inclined to think that if you know you are making healthy choices, and staying on your calorie goals, then eat when you are hungry and don't eat when you are not. You body may simply be getting nutrient dense foods and using them accordingly. just my 2 cents.
  • tonya1263
    tonya1263 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jack:
    I sometimes have the same problem- or I get in a schedule crunch and miss lunch so I hit the door really hungry and don't want to ruin dinner-so I keep go to snacks on hand. This week at the grocery store I bought a couple of 1.5oz packs (120cals) pistachios. I keep 100 calorie popcorn packs on hand as well as reduced fat cheese sticks (60-80 cals) and non-fat greek yogurt (100-140 cals) are my favorites since they are high in protein and low in sugar. A piece of fruit is also a good option.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I don't generally worry as long as my weekly average is reasonable. Pretty sure I was under 1000 calories yesterday, but I'll make it up on days that I'm hungrier.

If you find it becoming more than an occasional thing, I'd suggest looking at adding some more calorie dense foods to your diet like dried fruits, nuts, etc.
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and nuts are pretty calorie dense I think. If it's a common thing, try adding more throughout your day so you aren't facing the evening not being hungry and so far under. I myself am under 1200 for the day, the day just got away from me in the middle and I didn't force myself to make time for lunch. If your diary was open we could try more suggestions but that's up to you, a lot of people like theirs private, and a lot aswell don't know that it's possible to open it for others to see.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Nuts, lots of nuts.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Probably you will eat a little bit more tomorrow. Remember to include fats and oils.
  • 53LaniP
    53LaniP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been scolded a number of times for not eating enough, too. It is frustrating to be told to overeat before bedtime and I won't do it. I do try to even out my eating throughout the day, but it doesn't always work.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    GTJack17 wrote: »
    I've eaten supper for the day, but am only at 891 calories. Additionally, I walked a couple of miles at lunch time today. I know I "should" eat more to get to my calorie base, but I'm not hungry and the thought of having to figure out what else I could eat isn't appealing. What do you recommend?

Have a protien shake
  • GTJack17
    Options

Thanks everyone. I did have both some peanut butter and some nuts to boost it for the day. This is not a normal occurrence for me, hence my question. Thanks for the input and ideas!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight then being under on calories is unimportant. You should be looking at your macro/micronutrient needs instead. Also, one or two days isn't going to kill you.