Popcorn Anyone?

Options
rmhowell11
rmhowell11 Posts: 11 Member
I am guessing most of you have this recipe but I find it an awesome go to for a crunchy, anytime snack. I haven't been able to eat microwave popcorn since I was pregnant with my son. That only left popping on the stove which uses a tremendous amount of oil. Then I heard about this trick. It is not only healthier than both stove and store bought microwave popcorn, but it is less expensive, too. All one needs is popcorn kernals, any type of oil (or not) and a brown paper lunch bag. Open the bag, put in a quarter cup of popcorn kernals and add up to one tablespoon of oil. One doesn't need to use oil at all and it will still pop, like air popped. I use a tablespoon of olive oil for its health benifits. Once in awhile I might add a packet or two of Splenda to make it like kettle corn. Once bag is ready, fold over a few times, put in microwave for 1:15 (it depends on your micro you will want to listen the first time to see how long it actively pops. I have a 1200 watt micro so if yours is smaller, you may want to to start with a longer time) Once the popping is done, take out the bag, pour in a bowl and add your favorite topping. Easy as can be, not expensive at all, and great for satisfying a snack craving. Hope you all enjoy!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've also seen that people like using coconut oil for a little sweet flavor, although I've also heard that very pure coconut oil should not have a flavor.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this! Thanks!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I make popcorn on the stove using only a tbsp of coconut oil. I like that it doesn't have the oily residue like other oils.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I just make it in an air popper. Works great and I can put whatever topping I want on it in controlled amounts. I love popcorn!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just got a popcorn popper for Christmas and I love mine I use sunflower oil and its only 35 cal per cup its great.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I got a microwave popper at Targét and it does the trick. No oil needed, just dump the popcorn in and let 'er rip.

yzsemvd6lt9f.jpg
  • sandraallangrimes
    sandraallangrimes Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! I love these ideas.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I use a hot air popper, and if I want seasoning I lay out the popped popcorn on a cookie sheet, give a light spray of cooking spray (for adhesive) and sprinkle seasoning on it. Nutritional Yeast is a yummy seasoning that gives you some protein too.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about this recipe!
  • rmhowell11
    rmhowell11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love the other ideas...especially the coconut oil...I have to try that...thanks all
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I have one of these: http://whirleypopshop.com/index.html
    I pop a half cup of corn in 1 tbs. of oil - on the stove. If I want no-oil popcorn, I'll pop it in the microwave without oil in a brown paper lunchbag.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have an old fashion kettle cooker! I got it for Christmas about 10 years ago.
    I use whole grain popcorn and coconut oil.

If I use the microwave, I cook Smart Pop Orval Reddenbaucher but this is like eating air! Not much to the popcorn but I can eat 1 or 2 bags at 100 calories each!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love my microwave popper.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My mom makes the most amazing homemade caramel corn. She uses air popped popcorn (no oil), and then melts brown sugar with some butter and lightly drizzles it on top. She also adds some peanut slivers as well.

It tastes like it should be 1,000+ calories a serving, but it's super easy to fit into your macros!
  • budgirl9
    budgirl9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    beachgod wrote: »
    I got a microwave popper at Targét and it does the trick. No oil needed, just dump the popcorn in and let 'er rip.

yzsemvd6lt9f.jpg

I found a bowl like that in my kitchen and wondered what it was for. Thanks for reminding me! lol
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I tried this a few times. For some reason mine would burn. If I took it out too early, then I had a lot of un-popped kernels left over.
  • Bonitajean1
    Bonitajean1 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Missiontofitness :

I would love the recipe your mom uses and the nutritional value as well, that sounds so yummy!!!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered air-popping?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Missiontofitness :

I would love the recipe your mom uses and the nutritional value as well, that sounds so yummy!!!

I can't remember her measurements verbatim, so I found recipes online to see what they use for measurements. I've only ever seen her use brown sugar, butter, baking soda, and vanilla in it; some call for corn syrup, but we never have that in the house, so you can get away with not using that.

The best ratio I found (since I can't remember her measurements) was 1 cup of light brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter. You stir those two things together constantly in the pan on low to medium heat until they are melted, and then let it boil for a few minutes without touching it; be sure to watch this temperature, because you don't want your mixture to burn. Take it off the heat, and add about a 1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla extract and baking soda and stir again; at this point, it's going to increase in volume and get a bit lighter in consistency.

Now, the macros are going to be high (and may differ based on what you use), but you'll also factor in that you're going to want to use this with a huge amount of popcorn.

The macros for the "caramel" are as follows: Calories: 1120, Carbs: 192, Fat: 44

She will make 2-3 giant cookie sheets of this at a time, and it stays fresh for quite a while in a sealed Ziploc bag. Key here is to use air popped popcorn with no oil, and to spread out the popcorn evenly on your cookie sheets. Once you've drizzled it all over, you can go in with your hands and "mix" it all together, almost like you're kneading dough so you get big clumps of caramel corn, or let it set as is, and break it apart later on. I think it's more fun when it's a clumpy mess while it's setting. Peanuts are optional as well; I prefer it without the peanuts, but sometimes you just need this recipe with them!

I need to make this now...I'm missing my mom's awesome recipes!
  • CandySarahsMom59
    CandySarahsMom59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow I like all the ideas. I just joined on the 7th of this month so its only been a few days but I really like it. Thanks everyone for sharing. (*)