Macros...what are your settings?

Options
cocates
cocates Posts: 360 Member
Hi!

Preface: To all my MFP guru's, I apologize if you have answered this question a ka-billion times. I hope it's not equivalent to the "1200 calories; I'm starving...why?" question.

I customize my calories based on my TDEE -30% and I eat back my calories (I'm only burning ~100 calories / x3 weekly). I've noticed from past "diets" that I do well with a lower carb regimen (not to be confused with Atkins induction or <20 carbs/day).

My default MFP settings are 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. Is this the equivalent of a 1200kcal setting? LOW CARB'ers: If so, what are your settings?

I confess the reason why I'm asking: I'm going over my Fat macro.

Thanks in advance. Please be nice with your advice. :smile:

-Cynthia

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    30/35/35
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can definitely set your macros how you see fit. MFP's recommendations are just one suggested ratio.

Personally, I used this thread to set mine and I know others have been successful with it:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • patches212
    patches212 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only ratio I've ever lost weight with using diet alone is 40/40/20 (protein-carbs-fat).
    Maybe look at what you're eating and see where you can eat less of any fats. If its hunger based eating that's taking you over having more protein might help keep you satiated.
  • Leonie_Maas
    Options
    I use also 40 proteïne, 40 carbs 20 fat. I eat alot of fruits and veggies. I feel full energy and happy
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Mine vary based on my training and goals. Also, I prefer to look at macro goals by grams, not by %, so my overall calorie goal will impact ratios as well. For example, if I'm looking for a minimum of 150g protein per day, the protein % will change if I'm on 1850 calories vs 2500 cals per day.

More to your question...
    Currently, I'm at 20/50/30 (f/c/p), but have also done 35/30/35.

Also, your question about 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein equaling 1200 cals - it may or it may not. You can have those percentages/ratios regardless of your calorie goal, which is one reason why viewing macros as percentages can be problematic for some.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I am shredding right now (losing fat while trying to hang onto muscle) so I am at 50 protein, 30 carb and 20 fat. Not for everyone but ok under the right circumstances.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    and I blush at being called a guru, I am more of a grasshopper :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I currently eat 35 protein/35 carbs/35 fats. The protein and fats end up being 158 grams of protein and 60 grams of fat (on 1800 calories). I consider protein and fats as minimum goals. I usually eat over them, which is ok, but it means I actually end up eating between 25-35% of my daily calories from carbs.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    40 Protein/30 Fat/30 Carbs presently. I've tried a few different ratios and find this to be what keeps me the most full. I also seem to drop weight more quickly with this ratio than others i've tried.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    45 carb/30 fat/25 protein
  • Kendra_20
    Kendra_20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Based on 1200cal and your ratio of 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein, you should be intaking 150g carbs, 40g fat and 60g protein.
    Carbohydrate = 4 calories per gram
    Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram
    Alcohol = 7 calories per gram

Hope this helps!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    20/30/50 C/P/F approximately, although I wish we could set ranges and/or grams instead for some things. I try to keep net carbs <50, protein at 100-120, and the rest from fat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can definitely set your macros how you see fit. MFP's recommendations are just one suggested ratio.

Personally, I used this thread to set mine and I know others have been successful with it:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

+1

Percentages don't make a lot of sense when your calorie needs and intake varies enormously from day to day.
    Fat and protein as minmum targets and flexible with the rest of my calorie allowance.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    patches212 wrote: »
    The only ratio I've ever lost weight with using diet alone is 40/40/20 (protein-carbs-fat).
    Maybe look at what you're eating and see where you can eat less of any fats. If its hunger based eating that's taking you over having more protein might help keep you satiated.

Calories determine weight gain/loss, not macro percentages. Fats, as well as protein keep you satiated longer.

OP - Fat and proteins should be minimum targets, since they are essential macros. There is nothing wrong with going over fats - just take it from your carbs. Also, if you are basing your caloric goals on TDEE, you shouldn't eat your exercise calories back, since they are already factored into daily totals (and 30% is very aggressive).

• KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 30% Carb and 35% for both Fat and Protein but recently I'm usually ending up with more like 35% Carb, 35% Fat, and 30 Protein. As long as my sugar carbs are low I'm not super strict on the 30% Carb, but I will limit them later in the day if I'm getting up there.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    45 carb/30 fat/25 protein

I currently use this too but I'm bulking - I change mine with calories so as to meet 1g per lb bodyweight for protein and 0.4 per lb for fat. On my lowest calorie setting I was 35/35/30 and I've used 40/30/30 as well.

I do better with highish fat so it's carbs that tend to take the hit if I'm trying to lose.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein.