How Many Times Can I Take The Same Path And Not Get Anywhere???

Options
I have been down this road before. More times than I can count. I was doing pretty good and then thought I could manage on my own, not logging but just being careful. Well, you know how that goes. I wasn't being accountable for my actions and thus gained back 10 pounds. I have 100 to lose and have been fighting this battle since I turned 45. Well technically I have battled with weight issues my entire life but these last 13 years my body has refused to cooperate with my on again off again diet.
46. I really DO want to lose the weight. I'm 58 and know that if I don't get this under control NOW I am allowing myself to shorten the time a live on this earth. I want a healthy, quality life rather than to just keep on living. Please consider whether or not you can be an encouragement for me and help me to reach my goal. I need all of the help I can get.

Replies

• canuck_OHS
    canuck_OHS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I understand your struggle. I am new to mfp but have spent years on weightwatchers, tried sparkpeople, dabbled in Paleo etc. The only time I have ever lost weight with ease was when I went through a horrible divorce. The weight literally fell off without effort. Now two years out I have packed it all back on. I don't like what I see when I look in the mirror and I know its time for change.

I am trying again. This time though I am not doing the "all or nothing approach". I am thinking in small chunks. Like this week I am going to eat a healthier breakfast. Next week I will pick something else. I am praying I can make this lifestyle change happen.

Maybe we can encourage each other?
  • NinaDom821
    NinaDom821 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You need to really analyze how bad you want this and when you decide and you get your answer, take it one day at a time. Patience is key here... you can do this. Focus, one day at a time, one meal at a time and stay active. I would recommend you get a fitbit to really track your activity. You'd be surprised at how inactive we can be.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    First: Make sure your weight loss goals and activity level are accurate. Use the following tier to set your goals-

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

For activity level, make sure it is set properly. If you are sedentary, log all your exercise. If you are lightly active to active, only log purposeful exercise (aka, don't log walking to the mailbox, the trip from your car to the store, ect).

Second: Get a food scale. Most likely you are eating more than you think, and are not in a deficit. Use the USDA measurements in the database when you can. A food scale will help you get more accurate gauges of your calorie consumption for the day.

Three: If you are struggling with overeating on certain items, get them out of the house until you can eat them in moderation.

Four: Pre-plan your day. I like to log all the foods I plan on eating so I can adjust accordingly. It also helps me if I end up changing my mind, and want to eat something else. I can plan better that way.

Five: Make exercise a regular thing. Introduce it slowly, and experiment with different things until you find your niche. I personally love Zumba and Tabata classes, ellipticals, and walking on the treadmill. I can stay motivated at the gym when I do these four things.

Six: Mistakes will happen. Setbacks will happen. Losses will happen. Gains will happen. Weight loss is not linear, and do not beat yourself up if one day you are heavier than the previous day. Natural fluctuations, water retention, and bodily waste can affect the number on the scale. Take regular measurements, as these will be a more accurate gauge than the scale.

Seven: Good luck! You've got this!