Broke and over weight...

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I
    adowe wrote: »
    Been there. Go on "cabbage soup" diet, don't buy meat, processed foods, your grocery bill will actually go down. Onions, cabbage, celery, carrots, some cans of tomatoes...add a bag of oatmeal for breakfast.

Give up driving to save money. Take public transportation every where. .amazing how walking around takes off weight.

But where is the protein?

I am not a protien fanatic, but he is right. Those veggies arent very protien dense. You might end up feeling really run down on that regimen. Some beans,eggs or cottage cheese with all those cabbage soup/oatmeal meals would be beneficial.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am doing better now but, for a while, was on food stamps so I had $161 per month for food. Most of the time, grocery store ads come out on Thursday so I would sit down at my computer every Thursday and plan out my week by going to the store websites and reading the ads and coupons. I would first check out the sales on meat and plan my main meals depending on what was on sale. Generally I would do 4 days with meat and three with something like beans for dinner. I am lucky in that I live in a medium sized town on the edge of a large metropolitan area so I have several different grocery stores that are an easy drive for me. Most staples I would get at Aldi because they are cheaper. Their meat and produce is hit or miss so I may or may not buy any of that there. If I don't, then I stop at whichever grocery has the best prices for what I am looking for.

Generally, you save money by eating at home. Things like bottled water are not necessities. If you buy it, get yourself a filter pitcher like Pur or Brita and drink filtered tap water if your tap water is bad tasting (mine is horrible but the Pur makes it just as good as bottled). Buy bulk items rather than single serving. Oatmeal takes just 2 minutes in the microwave and one large tub of old-fashioned oats costs me $2 for about 3 weeks of satisfying breakfasts.

It takes effort and planning, but you can definitely do this.

ETA: think outside the box when checking prices for things. My local gas station (a regional company that is mostly in Wisconsin and Eastern Minnesota) always has eggs that are the cheapest around AND are generally close to a week fresher than the grocery eggs. I don't eat bananas but they also have bananas and onions at the best price too.
  • MarkJCherry
    MarkJCherry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live there may be some options for cheap food outside of the supermarket. Around here there are farms all over the place you can buy cheap vegetables from. Ridiculously cheap. I'm not talking about the organic craze type "farmers markets" or anything like that - look for local farms that might have little grocery stands you can buy from. In Cincinnati, there's Burwinkel's. Selling directly from the farm saves them on all sorts of costs and is only marked up slightly from what they sell in bulk. I got a zucchini the size of my arm for $1, for instance - last summer.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    Heh, unfortunately potatoes are part of the problem as to why I'm here. When we first moved into our first apartment we discovered that was a great idea to save on grocery bills. And an extra some odd set of pounds later... here I am.

Potatoes are not the problem. The butter, cheese, and sour cream that people tend to pile on top, or the oil people fry them in - that is the problem. Potatoes are low in calories and fill you up.

5'4 and 117lbs over here and I eat potatoes all the time. ;) I dont eat my baked potatoes "fully loaded" very often though! Mostly just with ketchup, or bbq sauce, or a small amount of margarine and pepper.
    I eat mine with salt, pepper and spice mixes (like Mrs Dash but I like southwest flavors not lemon pepper). Another good way is with salsa. Or roasted peppers and onions on top. Potatoes are my lifesaver. Plus they are sooooo cheap!

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs are mad cheap.

And, I know it seems ridiculous, but you can buy a frozen turkey sometimes for as little as $0.88/lb and have a delicious, high-protein lean meal with TONS of leftovers. You can have leftovers for 3 days and still have some to freeze. Then, you make a huge pot of bone broth from the carcass for turkey soup.

A lot of food for, like, $10-15!
  • Tiranoua
    Tiranoua Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    easy way to lose weight and save money: Eat the same foods, just less of them.

This ^^

I can't afford to buy fancy things like I used to and replace fresh veg every 2/3 days. So I stick to stuff like pasta, frozen/tinned veg, tinned fish, soup etc and eat less of it. It helps to drink water or tea frequently, as that fills you up.

Things like chicken and turkey breast are a luxury to me. I wish I could afford to make lovely, healthy oriental dishes and healthy recipes which require certain expensive ingredients, but until I get a better job, that isn't going to happen.
    I'll just have to plod along slowly and buy what I can, when I can, whilst giving it 100%, the same applies to you :)

• xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am doing better now but, for a while, was on food stamps so I had $161 per month for food. Most of the time, grocery store ads come out on Thursday so I would sit down at my computer every Thursday and plan out my week by going to the store websites and reading the ads and coupons. I would first check out the sales on meat and plan my main meals depending on what was on sale. Generally I would do 4 days with meat and three with something like beans for dinner. I am lucky in that I live in a medium sized town on the edge of a large metropolitan area so I have several different grocery stores that are an easy drive for me. Most staples I would get at Aldi because they are cheaper. Their meat and produce is hit or miss so I may or may not buy any of that there. If I don't, then I stop at whichever grocery has the best prices for what I am looking for.

Generally, you save money by eating at home. Things like bottled water are not necessities. If you buy it, get yourself a filter pitcher like Pur or Brita and drink filtered tap water if your tap water is bad tasting (mine is horrible but the Pur makes it just as good as bottled). Buy bulk items rather than single serving. Oatmeal takes just 2 minutes in the microwave and one large tub of old-fashioned oats costs me $2 for about 3 weeks of satisfying breakfasts.

It takes effort and planning, but you can definitely do this.

I agree with everything you've said. I also have a water pitcher, I even try to fill up another pitcher with water just because we go through it so quickly. We even add fresh lime juice (squeezed, not the fake nasty stuff) and stevia to it so we basically have a sugarless limeade always happening. lol
    Unfortunately we don't own a microwave... I know, dark ages.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The nice thing about this is that you can just eat less of what you usually eat, save money (since you're buying less), and lose weight. Start with that and make other changes gradually as your budget allows.
  • kasiaj
    kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this (I don't feel like reading all the responses), but you can rent exercise dvds from your local library for free.
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I am a student and I work full time placement without getting paid for it, having to somehow fun my fuel of 50 miles a day traveling there and back. I have started going running rather than to the gym, it saves money! And always buy frozen veg and chicken breasts saves a tiny bit!! I try and dry fry most things which saves buying cooking oil i suppose and reduces calories...
  • optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    weight your good. I bought my scale on amazon for 12 bucks.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kasiaj wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this (I don't feel like reading all the responses), but you can rent exercise dvds from your local library for free.

Thank you! Most people forget about that wonderful resource in your town that costs you nothing (above your normal taxes) to use and has tons of helpful things. You should be able to get some good budget recipe books too!

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Are there any day old bread stores in your area?
    You can get bread for about $1.50 a loaf. Grab extra an throw them in the freezer.

Go to an ethnic grocery store. Veggies and fruit are cheaper.

Also, check out your local library, they have plenty of workout videos.
    Free....and they add variety to your workout.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Been there. Go on "cabbage soup" diet, don't buy meat, processed foods, your grocery bill will actually go down. Onions, cabbage, celery, carrots, some cans of tomatoes...add a bag of oatmeal for breakfast.

Give up driving to save money. Take public transportation every where. .amazing how walking around takes off weight.

OP please don't go on a cabbage soup diet.
    Just eat a healthy and balanced diet. Look for sales. Buy frozen vegetables, frozen fish, hamburgers, whatever you enjoy. Eat at home. Fresh fruit isn't expensive. Eating real food doesn't have to be expensive.
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-on-budget.html
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not in that boat now, but I've been there. Potatoes are one of the healthiest things you can buy and they are also cheap. This time of year, frozen vegetables are better than fresh vegetables, and they last longer. You can buy dry rice and beans in bulk for fairly cheap. I don't think you save much money by baking your own bread, but it tastes better and kneading it is good exercise. For meat, some of the cheaper cuts taste great when fixed well.

Heh, unfortunately potatoes are part of the problem as to why I'm here. When we first moved into our first apartment we discovered that was a great idea to save on grocery bills. And an extra some odd set of pounds later... here I am. But I do agree, frozen veggies are amazing! I try to bulk up on them every chance I get. I *love* baking. Albeit my bread making skills need a lot of practice, for whatever reason I'm not that good at bread making. Oh well, practice makes perfect right? :)

Potatoes will only make you fat if your portion sizes are too big. But there's something to be said for being able to get two day's worth of calories for only $5.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Heh, unfortunately potatoes are part of the problem as to why I'm here. When we first moved into our first apartment we discovered that was a great idea to save on grocery bills. And an extra some odd set of pounds later... here I am.

Potatoes are not the problem. The butter, cheese, and sour cream that people tend to pile on top, or the oil people fry them in - that is the problem. Potatoes are low in calories and fill you up.

5'4 and 117lbs over here and I eat potatoes all the time. ;) I dont eat my baked potatoes "fully loaded" very often though! Mostly just with ketchup, or bbq sauce, or a small amount of margarine and pepper.
    I eat mine with salt, pepper and spice mixes (like Mrs Dash but I like southwest flavors not lemon pepper). Another good way is with salsa. Or roasted peppers and onions on top. Potatoes are my lifesaver. Plus they are sooooo cheap!

Have you had the italian tomato mrs.dash? heaven!

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Walk when ever possible. Park further, take the stairs these really are easy ways to get extra exercise with little effort. As the father of seven I can say you can lose weight on a budget. Cutting out extra helpings and tracking everything. I still eat real and regular food. Good Luck
  • laylasmommy67
    laylasmommy67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    In the same boat, but not stressing :)

I eat alot of soup... quick, cheap, portable ( put some in my thermos)
    it has some Chicken Bouillon Cubes ~$2 for a jar of them (makes 3-4 pots of soup) and a few different, random veggies...today is carrots, green beans, and lentils. One pot will last me 2-3 days. I know its high in sodium, but low in calories and keeps me full most of the time. You can add different veggies....and costs very little. And I actually like it, not suffering in any way :)

I eat lentils often, Good source of protein, cheap, and don't take long to cook on the stove (My microwave is out too, but I'm not really missing it enough to get a new one)

And the only meat I buy is Chicken. I have 2 sons and a husband who are avid hunters, and more than enough venison to last. We process it ourselves into ground (hamburger) meat, tenderized, steaks, and roast :) we know there is no ADDED fat or chemicals, and to us it just tastes, better.

I cook everything for my family from scratch. I don't buy things like canned biscuits or frozen pizzas. I can make any meal that they want as long as I have the basics (flour, sugar, cornmeal, etc)

My (heavy eating) family of 6 live pretty easily off of less than $400 a month in groceries. The money I save is put back for "splurges" when we want to go out.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Have you had the italian tomato mrs.dash? heaven!

Oh yeah I love that one. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    GCPgirl wrote: »
    As far as exercising, I started running...you can do it any time you have free and for as long as you can. It will only cost you a pair of sneakers. I also bought a exercise bike in a garage sale for $8. The spedometer doesn't work but as long as the pedals turn, I don't care. People are ALWAYS selling exercise stuff at garage sales!
    Also, either get DVDs to do at home...you can get them cheap on Ebay or Amazon or for free on YouTube.

Heh, well that's the thing... I have premature arthritis in my back and in my knees. In short, it hurts to run. Especially now since this is the heaviest I've ever been. But I did do it back in the day and it was a great workout. For now I'll utilize what I found on hulu and, thanks to you, on youtube as well. I didn't realize they had exercise videos up. Thanks for that! :D

I dont do alot of heavy excersize. I dont like to. I do light yoga, walking, and I dance around my house more often then I should probably admit. I also walk to do most of my errands, if the snow isnt too bad. (usually I bundle up and head out, but if its snowing sideways...)

I also rent dance type workout videos from my library. recently a country western line dancing one that was super fun.

I dont "eat back" those excersize calories all that often, because its pretty light effort.