Help! Lunch Suggestions for Busy Work Days

Options
Hey!

I'm looking for quick, easy, and nutritionally sound suggestions for a busy work day. Looks like I will not be getting a lunch break over the next few shifts due to staff shortage. How do you survive days like these? I don't want to just nosh on fruit, veggies, and nuts.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and work through my lunch almost daily. What helps me most is left-overs from dinner. I cook a big enough dinner to make sure I have lunch the next day. That way I control what I put into my food and I don't rely on terrible delivery food.

My dinners are mainly protein and veggies, however, I have a portion of grains (I can't help it. Everything in moderation.) It's very easy to pop in the microwave and eat at my desk. Not to mention a very satisfying lunch.

If you like to nosh through the day when you have time, I love hummus, wheat crackers or pita crackers(portion control), or raw veggies. Apple slices or banana and peanut butter. Fresh fruit. I'm a fruit lover, so I may not be much help with new suggestions. Dried fruit is good though, maybe look into making your own trail mix with nuts and dried fruit.

On days like today, I don't have any left-overs, but I made tuna salad. I know, doesn't sound exciting, but tuna, black olive slices, roasted red pepper diced, 1/5 tbsp mayo, evoo, and balsamic vinegar is delicious! Add some spring mix and flat bread (wheat bread, wheat pita, or none at all [would be good in lettuce cups]) and you have a super good filling lunch.

Hot green teas are nice and filling also. Turkey chilli. Lots of options, but really relies on planning ahead.

The thing I try to force myself to do while sitting at my desk is drink water! I have a bottle right next to me and I just completely forget some days.

Hope this helps. :)
  • SaintCass
    Options
    Do you have a community fridge? Try looking up "mason jar salads". I made one today with some tuna and lettuce. It's compact, and pretty easy to eat on the go. I've also got a bag of pretzel crisps to give me some crunch in the day.

I know you said you don't want to just eat fruits, but if you have a particular smoothie you enjoy, that could be a good option as well.

Sandwiches are also doable-Made in a pita pocket or wrap, they'd be very convenient.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm a yogurt + granola fan. Compact, easy to carry, and you only get a spoon dirty :)
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I meal prep on Sundays so my breakfasts and lunches are ready to go. I have the same thing every day, which some folks might not like so much, but I vary my snacks (fruit, whites from hard boiled eggs, a Larabar in a pinch), and change up dinner, though I plan those out every weekend too, so I've got the ingredients on hand/know what I have to pick up last minute.

I'm usually shoveling breakfast down because my body thinks it's starving post-workout anyway, and lunch always feels like mindless eating, since I'm busy at work. I keep a box of Larabars, mini boxes of raisins (high sugar, even if it's natural), and freeze dried fruit crisps (no added ingredients, but a different texture from your standard apple) in my office so even snacking is covered if I haven't brough something from home, like eggs.
  • mystic81
    mystic81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All these suggestions are wonderful. Let me hone in on my dilemma a little more: I work front desk and am not allowed to have "meals" at the desk. I also meal prep, so I always have my lunches planned out. I'm glad you all have been great with giving suggestions on ideas! :)
  • TurbogirlSam
    TurbogirlSam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Soup is my favorite go to for prepping lunches! I make a big pot on Sunday and take it all week. Chicken tortilla soup, chicken & veggie soup, roasted butternut squash soup, beef & veggie soup. Great way to get in protein and veggies. I usually have a couple hard boiled eggs with it too :) Second fave is Shakeology. Mix and down the hatch. It is a whole meal replacement (chocolate is so good too if you have a sweet tooth!)
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Since you can't have meals, it might be easier to have more finger food type things like hard boiled eggs, yogurt, deli meat rolled up, string cheese/babybels, fruit, and veggies. That way you can grab something and eat it as you get a chance.