The latest food/diet buzzword - 'reducetarian'

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Like others here, I've heard "flexitarian" before. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and think if you're still eating meat, you're a carnivore, no matter how infrequently you eat it. You have a special word because you're making an effort and this sets you apart from, say, someone on a budget who goes meatless quite often? Well, then. I don't get the point of the special status.

I have nothing against personal dietary choices, I do scratch my head at trends to prove just how "pure" one can be.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Just waiting for the 'Hey, anybody lose weight on the Freegan diet?' posts to show up. ;)
    LOL
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I experiment with meatless meals a couple times a week, just to change it up a bit. That's as far as I'll go.

No way I'd take a pledge. I am omnivore; hear me roar.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member

Then don't eat feed lot beef. Beef is bad, but chicken is far worse.

Well, I think part of the point is that meat that is raised more sustainably/ethically tends to be a lot more expensive. So if you eat less meat, you can afford to buy stuff that is better environmentally.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I am still waiting for the explanation as to how the "beef industry is bad for the environment"...???
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    This is a really stupid term that makes me want to KILL SOMETHING
    Like a chicken? This just made me giggle :)

Personally, I feel like if you're not going to go full-fledged vegan, what's the point of still eating animal products like eggs and cheese but not eating meat? You're still contributing to the production of animal products for consumption, if that's what you have an ethical issue with.

I can think of a lot of reasons. I have been vegetarian for 2 years and only vegan for several months out of it. Reasons I can think of right away for someone to still eat animal products but not meat include but are not limited to:
    - Wanting to do something to make a difference: saying there's no point in cutting out meat if you don't cut out dairy too is like saying there's no point in putting $5 in your savings if you can't put $500, or saying why run a mile if you can't run a marathon? Everyone has to start somewhere and doing something is better than nothing.
    - Vegan is hard. There is "hidden" dairy and eggs in so much stuff. So someone might want to be vegan and not know how to or think it's too hard, but vegetarian is easy.
    - Access to ethically farmed eggs and dairy. I know for an absolute fact that the eggs I eat are not coming from chickens who have miserable lives and are mistreated, cause I picked them up from the nest a few hours or days before I ate them. Our chickens are healthy and well cared for, and as much as one could claim a chicken is happy, ours are. The eggs are demonstrably more nutritious than store bought eggs too. There are lots of sources for animal products that don't cause the animals as much suffering as factory farming, and don't take the life of the animal the way meat does.
    - Just plain not liking meat, but liking animal products.

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't even understand what the point of this reducetarian is? Are you trying to eat less meat, less food..????

I am an allfoodinmoderationetarian

I love this! When I saw the term "reducetarian" I thought it meant a person who is reducing caloric intake. LOL
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Never heard of that one before. I eat a little meat a couple of times a week - I prefer nuts, and beans - but I don't label myself as anything...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm torn - on one hand, anything to encourage people to eat less meat is good in my eyes :) On the other - don't give it a stupid label to feel special. If you need to explain what you can eat for someone making you a meal, just say the things!

What is wrong with meat?

Are you asking what *I* think is wrong with it because you actually want to know the reasons I am vegetarian, or are you asking because you want to insist that meat is okay for you and other people?

I didn't know you were a vegetarian. I have no problems with that.

But, yes, meat is ok for people who choose to eat meat.

But since being a vegetarian/vegan usually boils down to one's ethical preference, it isn't shocking to think that one who is a vegetarian would believe that it would be ethically better if everyone chose less meat. Nothing wrong with that in my opinon.

As long as it is based in logic.

That goes for every debate ever created...;)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    There's a lot of meat I don't like, so I quite often eat vegetarian meals.

It's called being a picky eater
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    I think it is because of environmental concerns and less about diet. The beef industry is pretty terrible for the enviornment :/

I've never been a huge meat eater, but I eat about 90% paleo now so I have meat at almost every meal, typically chicken. I like beef but I rarely cook it for myself so I only have it occasionally.

I agree that having a term for this is a little silly.

Not in terms of methane gas, actually. I'm sure there are environmental concerns with chicken as well, but in terms of methane production beef is just about the worst thing. Its worse than all cars/trains/planes combined. Like I said I still have some, but I could understand why someone would intentionally cut back. And it doesn't have to dow ith feed lot- even local grass fed can cause the issues.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    This is a really stupid term that makes me want to KILL SOMETHING, but it is a concept that I whole-heartedly agree with.

Reducing meat intake saves money and is more environmentally sustainable than eating large amounts of meat. Personally, I feel like if you're not going to go full-fledged vegan, what's the point of still eating animal products like eggs and cheese but not eating meat? You're still contributing to the production of animal products for consumption, if that's what you have an ethical issue with. Rather than go vegetarian, I'd rather reduce my meat intake in general, and thus be able to spend more money on quality, more sustainable meat, etc. Plus, it leaves more room in one's diet for lots of vegetables.

I eat meat, but not every day, and only sometimes as the main part of a meal. This isn't on even on purpose--I just can't understand how people afford to eat huge portions of meat every day. Plus, it's a pain to store safely and worry about thawing, freezing, keeping insulated when on the go...

I tooootally agree with you on these points. I have thrown out meat that I didn't make soon enough too many times and it makes me furious and led to me cutting back on meat. Money out the window!

But I certainly have never called myself a reducitarian or whatever it was.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I think it is because of environmental concerns and less about diet. The beef industry is pretty terrible for the enviornment :/

I've never been a huge meat eater, but I eat about 90% paleo now so I have meat at almost every meal, typically chicken. I like beef but I rarely cook it for myself so I only have it occasionally.

I agree that having a term for this is a little silly.

But beef is cuter. Wait I mean cows. Cows are cuter than chickens.

(I think I just let off that when I look at cows, I mostly think of steak...)
    Everything cute is tasty.

When I see rabbits, I just want to hold them and hug them and pat them. They make excellent stew.

Veal? My god, so cute. So delicious.

Quail? Well, I could go on. ;)

You forgot pigs. Baby pigs? Adorable. Big, fat sows? Bacon.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    edited January 2015
    I am still waiting for the explanation as to how the "beef industry is bad for the environment"...???

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=beef+industry+impact+on+environment&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=2q2uVJ7UIMTksASR8YKQCA&ved=0CBsQgQMwAA

Edited to Add a very simplified general explanation, courtesy of our lovely wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production

Like I said before, I don't feel super passionately about this issue, but it is an established fact.
  • ndj1979

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=beef+industry+impact+on+environment&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=2q2uVJ7UIMTksASR8YKQCA&ved=0CBsQgQMwAA

really? so what you are saying is that you cannot provide an explanation and are going to link me to thirty + pages of google stuff...

cows produce methane on their own without being herded for production ...so do you want to eliminate all cows too?

how about humans? We produce C02 just by, you know, breathing...

• beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2015
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    There's a lot of meat I don't like, so I quite often eat vegetarian meals.

It's called being a picky eater

Congrats, you are now known as a pickytarian. And we have a new buzzword!

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    and this is why I don't come in the forums :) *opens floodgates*

I'm not entirely sure what you were expecting from this thread. The name seems stupid, no one is saying anything about the life style.

And if you want recipes, there are tons of vegetarian recipes, just replace a few of your typically meat filled meals with some of those. You might also want to look into Mark Bittman's cook book, "the food matters cookbook". It focuses on sustainability of food and carbon footprint and whatnot in the intro, but it also is based on his personal experience with weight loss, and a lot of the recipes treat meat more as a side dish than the main focus. It was an interesting read, and I love the chili recipe I got from it (although I personally add meat to it because I like meat).
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    This is a really stupid term that makes me want to KILL SOMETHING
    Like a chicken? This just made me giggle :)

Personally, I feel like if you're not going to go full-fledged vegan, what's the point of still eating animal products like eggs and cheese but not eating meat? You're still contributing to the production of animal products for consumption, if that's what you have an ethical issue with.

I can think of a lot of reasons. I have been vegetarian for 2 years and only vegan for several months out of it. Reasons I can think of right away for someone to still eat animal products but not meat include but are not limited to:
    - Wanting to do something to make a difference: saying there's no point in cutting out meat if you don't cut out dairy too is like saying there's no point in putting $5 in your savings if you can't put $500, or saying why run a mile if you can't run a marathon? Everyone has to start somewhere and doing something is better than nothing.
    - Vegan is hard. There is "hidden" dairy and eggs in so much stuff. So someone might want to be vegan and not know how to or think it's too hard, but vegetarian is easy.
    - Access to ethically farmed eggs and dairy. I know for an absolute fact that the eggs I eat are not coming from chickens who have miserable lives and are mistreated, cause I picked them up from the nest a few hours or days before I ate them. Our chickens are healthy and well cared for, and as much as one could claim a chicken is happy, ours are. The eggs are demonstrably more nutritious than store bought eggs too. There are lots of sources for animal products that don't cause the animals as much suffering as factory farming, and don't take the life of the animal the way meat does.
    - Just plain not liking meat, but liking animal products.

Oh, well I agree with a lot of these, such as just not liking meat (also: way jealous of your chickens!). I'd point out, though, that many of us try to find ethically raised meat as well (I buy whole chickens from the same farmer I get my eggs from). If you find killing animals no matter what unethical, of course, that's different!

I'm someone who falls in the "something is better than nothing" camp. Which is why I feel like if I'm going to eat animal products, I might as well reduce the amount I consume OVERALL, rather than simply eliminating some completely, but keeping others. I don't think it is always unethical to eat animals, though, so meat vs. eggs is kind of an arbitrary distinction for me.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member

really? so what you are saying is that you cannot provide an explanation and are going to link me to thirty + pages of google stuff...

cows produce methane on their own without being herded for production ...so do you want to eliminate all cows too?

how about humans? We produce C02 just by, you know, breathing...

Right? And where I'm from (solidly in the middle of "Cow Country", "America's Dairyland", large farms collect that methane and use it as fuel to power their facilities. And...often times they have excess that is sold back to the public utilities for all to use. Info here: wisconsinpublicservice.com/business/methane_gas.aspx

That's pretty darn environmental. Imagine if we turn back all the cows to the wild. All that wasted methane energy. That's NOT environmental; that's wasteful.
  • ndj1979

Edited to Add a very simplified general explanation, courtesy of our lovely wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production

Like I said before, I don't feel super passionately about this issue, but it is an established fact.

I am not going to get into an environmental/global warming debate on a nutrition site..

but I would go with no, that is not an established fact...

Humans have been involved in agriculture for tens of thousands of years....we seem to have made it this far in fairly good shape...