Pre-workout food?

Options
I usually load up with carbs like a kid's cheese pizza from my gym. (295 cal) with a cup of skim milk and pop chips.
I stay full and energized throughout my workout, However it's obviously not the healthiest option (and at $3 a day it adds up). What is a good pre workout food? my calorie budget for it is 350. It can't be refrigerated. I walk to the gym from my school every day.

Replies

• kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Great question, waiting to see the replies!
  • asweetland
    asweetland Posts: 2
    Options
    I do a fruit and a protein shake. I also take a supplement called super-pump.
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    The creamy, sweet goodness of a Banana. This is my favorite pre-workout food, then maybe a protein shake afterwards, that should take up your calorie allotment
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    protein shake and a banana (the sugar in the banana are good carbs)...I think it will get you up to about 230, depending if you use water or milk for the shake. Doesnt your gym offer like a fitness smoothie. I dont get why they have unhealthy foods at gyms. What about a cliff bar or something. Any thing gotta be better than pizza!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Make a tortilla with Peanut butter roll up and bring some fruit.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    your gym serves pizza? that seems like a contradiction with the whole being healthy thing...lol...but anyway--quick easy portable and cheap--spoonful of peanut butter, string cheese, bananas, Fiber One bars, Quaker granola bars, small handful of almonds and dried fruit, premade protein shakes (boxed ones like Muscle Milk light don't have to be refrigerated)....whole wheat crackers n cheese...those are all things I've done pre-workout...the quickie carbs tend to work best and then I usually try for a protein shake afterwards for muscle recovery...hope this helps!
  • flash53
    flash53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A good pre and post workout food would be a reduced fat choclate milk, but since it has to be cold I would stick to fruit like apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries or even nuts. You cold have a large apple for around 100 calories and a 1/4 cup of peanuts for around 150 calories and that would give you 350 calories.
  • shannaleemartin
    Options
    perhaps an apple and some flavored water maybe a tbsp. of peanut butter
    adds up to about 200cal all together :D
  • enygmatic1
    enygmatic1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm not an expert of any kind but what about keep the skim milk part and add a pre-portioned out (you can even use a sandwhich baggy) protein shake you can even throw in a banana for fiber and potassium (be sure it's not super ripe for added fiber. Do this and you'll be under your calories, full, and tons of energy to burn with plenty of protein and fiber. I do a shake on my way to work out but I use water.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    your gym serves pizza? that seems like a contradiction with the whole being healthy thing...lol...but anyway--quick easy portable and cheap--spoonful of peanut butter, string cheese, bananas, Fiber One bars, Quaker granola bars, small handful of almonds and dried fruit, premade protein shakes (boxed ones like Muscle Milk light don't have to be refrigerated)....whole wheat crackers n cheese...those are all things I've done pre-workout...the quickie carbs tend to work best and then I usually try for a protein shake afterwards for muscle recovery...hope this helps!

This is great advice. Also, porridge, if that's available and protein shake isn't a necessity, chocolate milkshake (skimmed) also does the trick! :)
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1 greek plain yogurt
    1 scoop EAS vanilla protein powder
    1 ounce crushed almonds

Mix together

About 350-360 calories and SUPER delicous
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    Does the gym sell milk? If so, could you just take a shaker-cup and protein powder with a banana? Do a quick protein shake. It would have to be high quality to dissolve without use of a blender. There are a lot of great protein bars, which would also be a great option with a piece of fruit. Just have to watch the sugar content on the protein bar.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat quaker oatmeal, but the plan I use recommends that and lowfat chocolate milk.
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    1 greek plain yogurt
    1 scoop EAS vanilla protein powder
    1 ounce crushed almonds

Mix together

About 350-360 calories and SUPER delicous

I am going to have to try this..yummm
  • flwrgrl11
    flwrgrl11 Posts: 15
    Options
    A banana is always a great choice! Pair it with some peanut butter and/or a honey stick and you should get through your work out no problem.
    Chocolate milk is an excellent post exercise drink. Milk actually has more electrolytes than you think; more than a gatorade!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    protein shake or boiled eggs...take a cooler...
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am a low carber but I've been told that pre and post workout food should be lean protein with a little bit of carb. . . a healthy carb, mind you, not a super processed carb. I eat a lot of fat but I've been told that a lot of fat isn't the best right before or after a workout.

I never eat pizza though, I wonder if eating pizza is negating your efforts? I don't want to eat so much that my workout is only taking away half of what I eat.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump