lean muscle

Options
Is it possible to build lean muscle if I have a "thicker" body type? I have always had muscular thighs and my arms are not thin. If so, what are the best exercises to make these muscles long and lean? I run, but also need to start strength training without adding bulk.
Help!
Can add me as a friend too :)

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Is there fat muscle? You can't make muscles longer (or shorter). You can only build, lose muscle. You can lose or gain fat. If you already have the muscularity you desire, work on losing fat while retaining what you have
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Muscles are muscles, bones are bones, not much you can do about either in terms of length.

Best thing you can do is lose body fat and accept the natural shape/structure of your frame.
  • Vossii
    Vossii Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ok so how do i shed fat without building bulky muscle?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The two are largely exclusive of each other, so doing 1 makes it VERY difficult to do the other.

To your question - diet, diet, diet. Get your calorie intake dialed in (with reasonable fat/protein/carbs), be patient and consistent, and it should take care of itself.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to get bulky muscle and shed fat at the same time. If you are eating at a deficit (to lose fat), I recommend doing some strength or resistance training a few times a week to help you retain muscle.
  • Vossii
    Vossii Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips :)
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Vossii wrote: »

Lots of cardio and eat at a deficit.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Vossii wrote: »

The question is more like "how do I lose fat w/o LOSING too much muscle?". Even while losing weight/fat, you'll have to do resistance training to retain what you have. Gaining muscle? Next to impossible in a deficit.